Increasing Primal Drop Rates By Relative Difficulty

One thought I recently had is that pushing a GR level close to your max is actually quite inefficient. Not only is there a requirement of effort and focus, but your gains in terms of experience and legendary drops is quite low. I believe the scaling is 17% increased monster health versus only 5% experience, and past GR100, the amount of legendaries you drop is quite the same as G120.

What if there was a built-in magic-find-type of effect that increased your chances of the 10-12 legendaries you drop being Ancient and Primal based on how far from your max Solo you are pushing? For instance, if you are at your max, you get 100% greater chance of Ancient/Primal, reducing to 90% at one below, 75% at two below, 55% at three below.

Now, there is a loophole where players intentionally do not push their best solo in order to sandbag their max, but this can be fixed (if it occurs) by using paragon and gem levels as a measuring stick of what your max is rather than the solo rift you actually finished.

1 Like

New powerleveled characters with just a full unoptimized set and a few supporting legendaries and lvl0 gems can still do a decent GR level, if you know what you’re doing. So, you could still potentially just do one rift level at a time, consuming your time in the rift by AFKing and then just finishing it close to the timer in order to keep fooling the system.
If the player is especially good to the point where he can just tell his level of clear by the gear he’s currently wearing, he could easily exploit and farm ancients/primals easily.

Seems like a silly idea.

If they wanted you to find more Primal items, they would just raise the drop rate of Primals. There would be no need to do some convoluted change for it.

The Primal drop rate is exactly where they want it to be.

I think you, respectfully, missed the point of my post, which was to encourage higher end and higher effort play rather than efficiency grinding GRs you can buzz through in 3 minutes ad nauseum.

I would prefer that the primal drop rate increased at GR110, GR120 and so on.

But still, why would people want Primal so badly when it offers a very little gain for the effort you put to find it.

1 Like

The excitement? I frankly miss Primal beta.

I want Primal v1.0+v2.0 as one.

30% Ancient stat with perfect roll.

A truly ultimate item.

3 Likes

They need to increase the primal drop rate all the way around it is to low & the only guarantee primal drop you have is the [one] you get on season & doing the level 70 gr solo

I want a recipe in the cube to make primals form other primals

But then you’d have to stop posting that you hadn’t seen a Primal drop in weeks.

2 Likes

Aww do you miss me don’t you!

Not sure the drop rate needs to increase, but they need fix the RNG and stop dropping:

A. Crappy, useless items
B. Good items with useless stats

Getting a rare item that is a crappy isn’t a motivation to keep grinding for yet another rare crappy item.

You didn’t ask, but here’s my idea:

Instead of getting Forgotten Souls from salvaging a primal, you get a “Primal Essence” or whatever you want to call it. It’s a consumable, like a Ramaladni’s Gift. You use it on an enchanted item to take away its “already-been-enchanted” status, allowing you to reroll another attribute.

I don’t know what it would take to truly balance that. Maybe you have to pay one “essence” per roll, or maybe you have to combine multiple essences to make a consumable. Maybe it can only be used on other Primals, or maybe the item has to be augmented at or above a certain level. Maybe instead of a second reroll, it allows you to reforge a Primal entirely. The point is to have a little extra bad luck mitigation in a way that rewards you for the time you’ve invested.

I think the drop rate is perfectly fine, and being able to craft them on demand would be a bit much. It would definitely be nice to have a way to make the almost usable ones actually usable, though. Someone linked a Primal Dawn in chat earlier, and it rolled with Dex, Vit, Life on Hit, and a Socket. That just plain sucks.

1 Like