Immediate crash to desktop

Good morning,

Starting today I am unable to play in 64-bit due to as the title states, I immediately crash to my desktop when I start. I open the game as I normally would from the battlenet client. When it loads I will get the Diablo 3 splash art on my screen then it just closes. No error code will populate from the crash. I didn’t and haven’t had this issue prior to this morning. I am able to play when I go into my battlenet options and force the client to run in 32-bit compatibility mode. I have tried several avenues to resolve, and have thus far been unsuccessful.

I have done the following up to this point.

1. Restart PC
  2. Re-install battlenet client
  3. Verify game file integrity
  4. Remove any .dll files in association with Razer (I no longer use Razer products, but did at one point)
  5. Update my graphics driver to the most current available
  6. Run the game in administrator mode
  7. Disable my anti-virus
  8. Delete my Battlenet games cache

Like I mentioned before, I can play in 32-bit mode currently and I don’t notice any ill effect from having to make the transition. Just curious as to what could be the root cause. I did notice however, I have two recent updates in my windows log for .NET framework 3.5 and 4.8 as well as a cumulative Windows 10 update (KB4530684). Seems plausible this may be a source of the issue, hopefully passing it on to technical support can help spearhead a resolution.

Hello LumpyFlarp :wave:

Sorry to hear you’re having issues running the 64-bit version… sometimes, this can indicate an issue with malware interfering with game processes (as often they aren’t looking for the 32-bit version, only 64-bit). A scan with the free edition of Malwarebytes is suitable to address this:

Security Software

If issues persist, then we’ll want to review a system report to look for other possible issues.

Obtaining System Files

You can include the DXDIAG in a reply to the forum post. Place it between rows of accent marks (`) for formatting:

```
Like this.
```

Had the same problem and I cured it by removing the Windows update KB4530684 which Microsoft pushed out on Tuesday. I have confirmed this update causes Diablo to fail to load. On my system I could launch Diablo, but as soon as I attempt to enter the game, I am placed in a town without any buttons, pets, assistants and the screen is frozen. Updated my outdated Nvidia drivers but that didn’t change anything. Uninstalled the Windows update and game ran fine . Then windows auto updated on my next bootup and again the game froze exactly like before. I am uninstalling that update again!

Following up on this, removal of the cumulative Windows 10 update (KB4530684) resolved the crashing to desktop when running in 64-bit mode.

Thanks for reporting this over to us, JimBruun & following up LumpyFlarp. I’m going to get this added to our Known Issues list and track this internally since this is the latest update available for Windows 10.

We’re gathering information on this issue and would like both of your assistance! If you could send over the DxDiag files over to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject, Diablo III - 64-bit Update Crash. It’s greatly appreciated so that we can try and find commonalities, if there’s compatibility issues that we can check for!

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Customer Support to assist in troubleshooting.

i had the same thing yesterday i uninstalled my old razer chroma and worked for me

Uninstalling the Microsoft Update KB4530684 fixed my issues which included Diablo 3 appearing to disconnect or crash after the transition screen in town and in a dungeon. Note that I once lost a hardcore character after this happened because your servers marked the character dead after I logged back on. I’m not expecting the character to be revived but I do want to let you know that this issue has a potentially bigger impact than just the app crashing.
Hopefully I won’t have to keep uninstalling this update each time I want to play DIablo 3.

Hello,
I am not sure if it was cause Windows update or not, but I had the same situation. Previously, the program hung, but I could restart OS and it started to work. Sometimes I had to restart twice. But today, I could not load the game, tried it more than 5 times and each time had to restart my laptop.

Switching to 32bit version helped me to load the game. Please let me know, which exact files should I attach for investigation? Which mail header to use for it?

Hey there,

This issue appears to have been fixed in more recent builds of windows, so we’re locking this thread. Make sure your windows is up to date, and if you continue having issues, please start your own thread!