Hey everybody, I want to share my ideas/requests for my favorite class, the Monk! This’ll be pretty extensive, and I’m focusing more on concepts than numerical balance which can follow, but I hope you’ll consider fairly and let me know what you think.
Basic goals summary:
- Consolidate current Justice into Monkey, preserving both
- Convert I6U4 into new Justice: better support and more freedom
- Refill Uliana: quality > quantity, add toughness and density-scaling, streamline Mythic Rhythm
- Smooth Raiment’s output, add toughness, change Dash from tradeoff to situational benefit
- Invert Inna: focus on Mystic Ally, add melee AoE synergy and a Spirit-drain buff on activation
From here comes the full rundown. Let’s get into it!
- Seven-Sided Strike: Sustained Attack rune: Increases the damage of Seven-Sided Strike by 7%, stacking up to 7 times. Lasts 7 seconds.
- Flow of Eternity: The cooldown of your Seven-Sided Strike is reduced by 70-80%.
- Sledge Fist: Your Seven-Sided Strike deals 500-600% increased damage.
- Crystal Fist: Your Epiphany gains the effects of the Ascendance and Insight runes.
- Binding of the Lost: Your Seven-Sided Strike reduces your damage taken by 10% per hit, stacking up to 7 times. Lasts 7 seconds.
For support of a non-Uliana SSS build while still letting Uliana use it solely to trigger EP. At 0% sheet CDR, the current combo of Sustained Attack rune and extracted FoE offers an SSS cooldown of 5.6 seconds, while this extracted FoE would bring it to 6 seconds but allows a rune choice and can easily combo with the Captain Crimson set. With Captain Crimson set, helm, paragon, and Gogok, this still lets players reach a comfortable sub-2-second cooldown in as few as 2 stat rolls. This Binding of the Lost has an active cap, but stacks faster and refreshes instead of resetting.
- Lion Claw: Your Exploding Palm deals 10% increased damage for each enemy affected by your Exploding Palm.
- Fist of Az’Turrasq: Your Exploding Palm’s detonation deals 1000-1100% increased damage.
- Uliana set:
- 2pc: Your Exploding Palm’s total damage over time is also dealt on detonation.
- 4pc: Your damage taken is reduced by 10% per enemy currently affected by your Exploding Palm, to a maximum of 50%.
- 6pc: Your Exploding Palm deals 9,000% increased damage. Your Seven-Sided Strike now also detonates your Exploding Palm.
Adding defense, having fewer but harder hits, and removing the complex SSS-hit mechanic in favor of a density-scaling EP buff seriously bulk up this melee caster build. I think this is an interesting and maybe necessary direction to take in order to set up for high-level group play. Fire EP rune gains support in its full DoT being added to detonation and buffed as part of it. Also of note is that Generators would no longer apply EP - this ends potential issues involving Mythic Rhythm.
- Raiment set:
- 2pc: Your Spirit Generators have 25% faster attack speed and 400% increased damage. (unchanged)
- 4pc: Dashing Strike gains the effect of all runes, and reduces your damage taken by 50% for 5 seconds.
- 6pc: Dashing Strike increases the damage of Spirit Generators by 6000% for 5 seconds. Spirit Generators empower Dashing Strike for 5 seconds to deal 60000% increased damage and instantly kill enemies hit under 10% health.
- Shenlong set: (proc now drains 20% of your max Spirit per second instead of flat 65; otherwise unchanged)
I feel the current R6S2 is excessively hard to use for what should be the ultimate straightforward melee DPS build. These changes add of utility, defense, and smoother (higher average) output. Shenlong drain is typically higher, but Band of the Rue Chambers is accessible. Dashing Strike still needs to be managed, but it gets an extra benefit in some situations instead of an alternate cost that’s arguably worse. More toughness and smoother Spirit management might open up other Generator and support skill choices. Dashing Strike change from base increase to multiplier means about 3.7x as much base damage and newly applies to Barrage rune too.
- Justice set:
- 2pc: Your Seven-Sided Strike triples to strike a total of 21 times.
- 4pc: Epiphany has 50% reduced cooldown.
- 6pc: Your Seven-Sided Strike deals 777% of its total damage with each hit.
- Epiphany: (now gives the Monk a golden glow instead of a shadow form)
The Justice set is fun and well-made, but there’s no getting around the fact that we already have a Sweeping Wind/Tempest Rush set, while Seven-Sided Strike is on a set but falls short of a modern build. I considered using Monkey King set instead, but felt the weapons and set identity would be too messy. So this Justice set takes the current Uliana set 4pc mechanic as its core, with a buffed version of current Lion Claw built in to support it. Overall, I picture it a chaotic and glorious martial arts build. Changing the Epiphany visual would fit especially well here.
- Monkey King set:
- 2pc: Your damage taken is reduced by 50% while Sweeping Wind is active. (unchanged)
- 4pc: Your Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest Rush, and Wave of Light now also cast Cyclone Strike on the first target hit.
- 6pc: Your Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest Rush, and Wave of Light deal 1500% increased damage per stack of Sweeping Wind you have. (unchanged)
- Won Khim Lau: Tempest Rush deals 500-600% increased damage, and increases your movement speed by 50%.
- Kyoshiro’s Soul: Sweeping Wind gains maximum stacks and all runes, deals 400% increased damage, and lasts forever.
To do justice to the current Justice set concept, I’d like to blend it into the Monkey King set, offering a lot of utility and bringing out the best of both. Won Khim Lau’s automatic Cyclone Strike is moved to the MK set itself, replaced with current Justice set’s movement speed. Making Sweeping Wind permanent full-auto and adding the runes from current Justice set make Kyoshiro’s Soul more appealing for high GRs.
- Inna set:
- 2pc: Increase the passive effects of your Mystic Ally and base Mantra by 100%. (reworded but unchanged)
- 4pc: Gain the five runed Mystic Allies and four base Mantras at all times.
- 6pc: Your Mystic Ally, Sweeping Wind, and Cyclone Strike deal 750% increased damage for each Mystic Ally you have. Your Mystic Ally activation drains your Spirit to deal 50% increased damage per point.
The Inna set would really benefit by promoting Mystic Ally from stage crew to star of the show, with the close-range synergy of Cyclone Strike and Sweeping Wind. Inna’s Reach, BotLG, Kyoshiro’s Soul, and Crudest Boots would all be core pieces. Likely options include Lefebvre’s, Tasker and Theo, BotRC, and Guardian’s Path. This build might need buffs to its multipliers, but this is the basic idea.
Overall, I think this is the best way to offer these builds. Thanks for reading, and again, let me know what you think!