Idea: Rework the Puzzle Ring to pick up materials

Change the ring so the goblin picks up all non-inventory type crafting materials for you, he can also help pick up gold if there are no materials to pick up.

The idea is you must sacrifice a ring/jewelry cube slot to acquire this ability for making lazy farm builds. I figured instead of out-right enabling automatic pickup which IMO should not happen, this may be a good compromise.

Aside from opening vaults, the ring is useless. I’ve only worn it during the path to 70 and maybe shortly afterwards because it was the best ring I had at the time.

If this change was made, should vacuum pickup apply to the goblin? Should he run as fast as your gold pickup pet, or perhaps slower? Thoughts?

Edit: Props to Ziplex since he came up with the idea in this post a while back.

15 Likes

I like the idea. Giving an otherwise-useless item some purpose is always a good thing, not to mention that DB farming is my least favorite part of the game (yes, I even prefer doing bounties). That said, I don’t think it will be implemented, but I would really like it if it were…

1 Like

Yes, because if you are using a build with any little bit of speed, the goblin will miss a ton of stuff and not be worth giving up the ring slot for it.

He would have to run as fast as your pet does to make the mat collecting worth it.

This would be an interesting thing they could test out as a seasonal theme, then move to permanent if it gets positive reviews. It would also be a good compromise solution for those that want mats added to the gold/shard auto-loot and those that don’t.

2 Likes

This is not a bad idea. I have always liked farming builds that include gear. My MF Ice sorc was fun in D2. I like feeling in control of my “luck” a bit more directly than game difficulty settings.

People have wanted all the “currency” mats to be auto pick up forever. I strongly support fun means of doing that.

6 Likes

The “Puzzling Ring”
Its puzzling to the wearer… that this wasn’t made sooner. - Eve Rewun.

Summons an Odious Collector that will pick up Deaths Breaths, Veiled Crystals, Arcane Dust, and Reusable Parts for you. However, it absolutely refuses to pick up Gold, Blood Shards, or any other items.

4 Likes

This would be great. You can afford to wear it when you get to the point of picking up mats being so infuriating that you can’t deal anymore.

And it fits the theme of the ring as well.

2 Likes

I’ll do you one better. Not only should the puzzle ring goblin pick up mats for you, it also has a chance, after picking up XXX number of mats, to summon a new “Bounty Goblin”. This new Goblin when killed will drops the contents of a Bounty Cache from whatever act and Torment level you are on when he spawns.

7 Likes

Eh, I’m not sure how I feel about having that in addition, bounty mats should be acquired by running bounties or running the challenge rift. Besides, it’s good to switch gears by doing different things, it keeps the game less repetitive.

With a good 4 man group, bounties can be cleared in a very short period of time. Even public bounties aren’t bad, as long as everyone follows the basic rules.

1 Like

In my opinion, we should not need to waste a ring slot for a function that should already be existing in the game.

Just give us an auto-pick up option.

2 Likes

I hope puzzle ring is not only for vault but also for whimsyshire. So randomly opening vault or whimsyshire by puzzle ring will be fun.

Bounties suck. Mine is a viable solution.

That is a matter of opinion. Personally I don’t mind bounties, it’s a change of pace versus endless rifting. In addition to get the bounty caches, they give the opportunity to pick up certain hard to find seasonal challenges (Cursed Peat) and running as a group speeds up finding them pesky elusive rainbow goblins.

1 Like

There are a number of times that I’ve worn “useless” rings for a while because they were by far the best stat-wise. I don’t think any item is inherently “useless” in that respect (this doesn’t imply that I enjoy getting primal nailbiters, however.)

I do like the way the puzzle ring works as of now. Perhaps a new ring that has a different goblin that could do as you suggested? Perhaps it would open new vault if it got cubed?

Early on, I’d rather have the whites that drop when my crafting material pools are vastly underwhelming.

After building up some decent gear on a character, the chance of a legendary from a Puzzle Ring is largely unappealing since legendary/set items drop everywhere while farming higher torment levels. Plus exchanging 12-16 white items (24 to 128 reusable parts) for 1 veiled crystal or soul is a terrible exchange rate.

That’s why IMO the legendary affix on the Puzzle Ring is useless. Sure the other stats may be wonderful, but if the legendary stat is useless, there’s no point in using it.

This is largely the premise of the idea on why to change the goblin to pick up crafting materials. A lot of people are wanting automatic pick up of crafting materials. Blizzard has said they won’t be doing this, so I figured why not go about it another way and make the Puzzle Ring a bit more attractive to use.

This is a horrible suggestions. They’re already few builds that can work with getting double keys and double death’s breath. this consideration now makes us have to pick a third choice to optimize time.

How do you figure? It’s not like you’re using the ring now (other than for entering Vaults), and you wouldn’t be forced to use the Puzzle ring if it were changed. You can continue your same double keys/double DB builds like normal.

I’ve found this to be useful when gearing a second toon after you’ve already received your seasonal set. More than once, the goblin has crapped out a legendary that I was able to use.

That is a good concept. +1

1 Like

That’s fair… However still, I’d rather keep the white materials for later use AND have a more useful ring. Gearing up a new toon is no problem if you have plenty of mats to forge yellows, then plenty of DB to cube them into legendary/set items.

Was one of my suggestions in “My 4 QoL Requests” link.

I’ve mentioned this idea on 2020-04-19T06:00:00Z I hope it finally gains more traction!

And made reference to it again on 2020-05-09T06:00:00Z

1 Like