I was remind why Sorc is the best opening character

I was trying out the maxwell D2Planner. It reminds me how low the budget is for the dual element (ice+fire) Sorc.
She could have a high defence with Act 2 defensive merc and the ice shield.
The min budget:

• weapon:

• before Normal Act5: Leaf: require low rune and the two sockets Staves can be bought.
    • Spirit: just find a Crystal Sword or Broad Sword in act 5 or normal cow and use the socket quest. Act 5 gives 3 out of 4 runes and the last one isn’t hard to find.
  • Head:

• Lore: the rune can be easily found on NM countess. Just find a sockets helm for it. Due to how cheap it is, just make another whenever find a better helm.
  • Off-hand:

• Before Hell mode: Splendor: it is not hard to find 3 Io from NM countess and a Flawed Topaz to make a Lum.
    • After Hell: Spirit Monarch: it may take a while to find a good Monarch. However, the runes aren’t hard to find.
  • Body:

• The skin of the Vipermagi: low-level Exceptional Unique: Harder than other items on the list but easier when compared to other class’s needs.
  • Hand:

• Frostburn or
    • Magefist: Normal Unique. Using Tal Rune + 1 Shael Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond to upgrade it later on. The runes aren’t hard to find nor are 3 flowless diamonds.
  • Belt:

• Goldwrap: Normal Unique. Using Tal Rune + 1 Shael Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond to upgrade it later on. The runes aren’t hard to find nor are 3 flowless diamonds.
  • Ring:

• Just need MF + resistance is good. Don’t really need FCR if not using the fireball. No need for Lift steal, Mana steal, AR…etc
    • The same goes for Amulet. +1 to Sorc skill would be more ideal.
  • Feet:

• War Traveler is most ideal. But it is harder to find. Any MF + run speed + Resistance rare boot can be a cheaper substitute.

Merc equip:
Insight: the rune can be easily found on NM countess.
Treachery: the rune can be found on Hell countess.
Head: too many good budget options.

Most of the equipment is normal unique or rune can be found on NM countess.

2 Likes

I mean, sorc can farm meph, pindle and all that, naked. There is no other choice as a first roll, for min max. Tho I will say, lighting javazon can farm pindle quickly and efficiently with just starter gear as well. But no teleport. No meph.

Insight: the rune can be easily found on NM countess.

One additional point to this that guides always neglect: the base polearm. It can be trickier to get than the Sol rune. Need to find a poleaxe that drops in norm cows (or act 5), or act 1 nightmare. Use that on the socket quest. That way you’ll know it’s the right item level to get not 3 sockets, not 5, but 4. The 4 needed for Insight. Insight is the most important thing to farm for the early game – more important than a spirit sword for the socket quest, imo. Gets rid of those pesky mana problems. And makes a kickbutt melee merc.

Of course, there’s always the option of leveling up an alt just for the socket quest and get both sword and polearm socketed.

2 Likes

Many times while on the hunt for War Travelers, I’ve used Aldur’s Boots on my Sorc. 40% run/walk, 40-50% fire resists, health boost, stamina max boost plus stamina regen… Sure, not a huge defensive bonus and no magic find, but the massive fire resists help make up for the loss when using a Spirit shield.

2 Likes

really good post, thanks.

offhand: ancient’s pledge is usually my go to for nm/hell until I get spirit monarch.

body: I’ve been using smoke rw until I get the higher gear in hell to cover resistances.

1 Like

she basically doesn’t need geared up, needs only skill points to be strong enough to slay monsters

I was always fond of a Rhyme shield (Shael - Eth) – 25 all resists, cannot be frozen, Mf and GOld find all in a bone shield - looks good too …