I want to buy Diablo 4 but

Save your money, buy another game… and check in with D4 in a year from now, might be worth buying by then.

I thought you had to have already purchased it just to post on this forum?

You need to have D3 to post on the D3 forum.

For me, I’ll probably be buying it after they’re done releasing all the xpacs and the price is reduced down to a $20-30 purchase.

I supported D3 heaps with purchases of both CEs and the Necro pack at full price on my main account, and then an alt account that also has the RoS DD content and Necro pack all bought on sale. I don’t regret the purchases due to the ongoing support for the endgame over the past decade.

D4 though should have learnt many lessons from D3 before it got released.

The open world was the only forward progressing aspect for me. Most other things felt stagnant (character name of only 12 characters, and only 2 character slots per class) or was a regression (limited stash, skill system, town hub layout).

There’s a few missed opportunities I felt D4 could have capitalised off…

1. Eternal realm and seasonal characters should be able to play together with certain competitive aspects locked out for eternal realm characters due to that content being compromised if a lvl100 character with godly gear could do it off the bat… i.e. leaderboards, or being able to obtain achievements for the first to complete XYZ objective. Monster scaling dynamically to your character regardless of who’s in your party would have made this possible… and it would mean that every 3 months, a casual player who has no desire to make fresh characters, can come back to the game and continue progressing their unfinished character until they get bored of that season’s content.
  2. Not adding in some sort of rifts and leaderboards styled end game activity at launch. Other activities are welcome but there’s a tried and tested activity to keep players engaged while other activities are created.
  3. Lack of original classes. If I wanted to play a Barb, Sorc, Necro or Druid, I’d load up D2R. Rogue is warranted seeing how the last time we could play as one was D1. This is where I give D3 credit… it was a brilliant attempt at giving us the typical archetypes but reimagined into new classes.
1 Like

If they release as many as I hear, it’ll be a while.

By then, at least you’ll have all kinds of cosmetics to choose from!

1 Like

Yeah, they have a lot more areas in Sanctuary to create on the open map :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same. Feel bad for the people who paid full price for the game, so they could beta test it for a couple of years, then they will pay full price for the xpac only to beta test that for a few years, and same with the 2nd or third.

I’ll wait 5 or 6 years, buy the game bundle for $30 on the big Valentine’s Day sale, and not have to be a beta tester.

3 Likes

My thoughts too.

For me, I didn’t feel like a beta tester with D3 but the ARPG baseline was a lot lower back then. It’s been a fun ride to see how the game and the genre has developed over the past 15yrs.

But D4 really dropped the ball on some basics (especially with the copying of D3 code for things like stash space).

2 Likes

Errm… ACTUALLY! :nerd_face::point_up: That’s a misconception. The level cap is 50 than comes the endgame paragon leveling up to 100. Well atleast initialy that was the plan of the devs. But everyone wanted to reach 100, so yeah…

Probably get $15 battle pass for those using Game Pass? … It does feel weird asking whether DI should be in game pass or not when it is a F2P game.

1 Like

I totally felt D3V was very unfinished and unpolished. I gave Blizz the benefit of the doubt and stuck it out since I loved D1 and D2. It took like 4-5 years to get start getting it right and is a very solid game today after 12 years.

Unfortunately, some game developers have adopted that Microsoft development style where they rush a product out then try to finish and fix it on the fly. I learned my lesson. I have other games to keep me busy the next few years until they get their act together.

I just came off playing Torchlight 1 so probably had way lower standards. That and the AHs probably kept me busy to notice any flaws with the game :rofl:

In all honesty, it probably boils down to the presentation and the way I like to play my ARPGs… I played all three classes simultaneously in Torchlight, passing items found on one character to another if it made sense to do so. So moving to the 5 classes in D3 gave me much joy doing that. The skill system in D3 also was an improvement over D2 IMHO… solved my issue with skill point hoarding.

The graphics in D3 were also good for its time… in certain areas, if you stand still (such as the waterfall area in the southern highlands), it would look like a painting had come to life. Well they did to me anyway.

I really enjoyed hunting down all the lore books during my campaign run too.

As someone taking it slow and easy through the campaign, all of these things added up to a pretty satisfying experience.

It wasn’t until after year one that I got stuck into end game with a CM Wiz. I didn’t get into D2 end game so D3 end game was quite interesting to me as I didn’t have anything to gauge it against. But I have to admit, as much as I was critical of loot 2.0/loss of the AH/the reliance of sets and these massive multipliers, I think we’ve landed on a good spot with build diversity, and activities to do.

Just need the altar and fissures to be permanent in NS too and the entire game can be considered finished.

1 Like

Your character doesn’t gain “paragon levels” like in D3. In D4, you gain CHARACTER levels, up to 100. And every 1/4 of a CHARACTER level, from levels 50 - 100, gain you 1 paragon point. Your health and other base stats continue to increase with each CHARACTER level, and the gear you find on higher WT’s becomes restricted to certain CHARACTER levels (like 80+ CHARACTER level reqs for most Uber Uniques). Monsters scale within a certain CHARACTER level range.

The cap is 100. Don’t be a pedant.

We don’t gain paragon levels like in D3 that’s true. Everything else is wrong. Gaining one paragon level gives 4 pragon points to spend. Those are not character levels. It’s a very different concept for shure. Character level cap(where you still gain skill points)is 50. Paragon level cap is also 50 added to the character level. Lvl 100 is not the character lvl cap, it’s paragon level cap. I get it that it’s confuseing. But it is what it is, whether you understad it or not.

At this point you’re either trolling, or literally haven’t played or seen Diablo 4.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diablo+4+character+level+cap&sca_esv=f0d8b6dbc2182cd0&source=hp&ei=OoTQZYu5I-OmptQPneSK2AE&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZdCSSv3H5GjXOlKbcgbCjZJnsz6tDYF1&oq=diablo+4+character+level&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6IhhkaWFibG8gNCBjaGFyYWN0ZXIgbGV2ZWwqAggBMgUQABiABDIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHkisKVAAWIQVcAB4AJABAJgBV6AB7AyqAQIyNLgBAcgBAPgBAcICERAuGIAEGLEDGIMBGMcBGNEDwgIOEC4YgAQYsQMYxwEY0QPCAgsQLhiABBixAxiDAcICFBAuGIAEGIoFGLEDGIMBGMcBGNEDwgIOEC4YgAQYigUYsQMYgwHCAgsQABiABBixAxiDAcICDhAAGIAEGIoFGLEDGIMBwgIREC4YgAQYsQMYgwEYxwEYrwHCAggQABiABBixA8ICCBAuGIAEGLEDwgILEC4YgAQYsQMY1ALCAg4QLhiABBixAxiDARjUAsICCxAuGIMBGLEDGIAEwgIOEC4YgwEY1AIYsQMYgAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

https://preview.redd.it/z64vqvjcfrib1.png?auto=webp&s=f8b63ff32893e9f9536080a4b02e23591f87cf86

This thing is literally impossible to equip, because our characters can never reach level 78. Good to know, dude.

I just can’t make my mind up either. I have D4 but gave up after act 1 since it pretty much forced me to change my build (a very nice build) and i think aspects suck … anyway as i was saying… D4, LE or GD? Hmmmmm. D4 seems no one really wants to be there. LE if it’s anything like D2 (which it reminds me of) it’s a farse and lies out their teeth GD has a very good rating but… there’s something putting me off lol (could just be the price tag i dnno). Tough decisions. I’ll decide i guess.

Very interesting choices and all seem to be good in their own ways.

1 Like

That part never made sense. I had an awesome build too, destroyed everything then a couple acts later, it’s just weak. But many more acts later, it’s good again.

Weak formulas

They did do a good job on graphics, but it totally broke immersion for me. D1 and D2 had that dark, dreary, sense of hopelessness vibe. The bright graphics of D3 totally went away from this.

The story too got me. D1 and D2 were set for a mature audience with the story, music, setting, tone, gore, etc. D3 was set for a Saturday morning cartoon audience.

Thankfully, I hung around for ROS were they got all this right.

Same. They made a lot of areas to explore. This and adding the achievements are something that kept me busy for the 2 years until ROS came out and they actually started working on the end game. In any RPG I have played, I have always made up my own achievements to do. To this day, I still do the Achievements every season and rank on the board.

For me, D2 end game kept me busy. Loot farming, trading, PVP, Baal runs, key farming, Ubers, etc. all kept me busy. I even got a level 99 once. That was a grind.

D3V end game was brutal. Pretty much AH farming was it. They did have Achievements and added Ubers later on, but once you finished Achievements, it was load game, run one of the 3 dense maps, exit, rinse and repeat.

Again, ROS saved the day. Actual end game was added. Rifts, bounties, Greater Rifts. Later on gob portals, seasonal themes, echoing Nightmares, visions. It took many years, but it is a solid game to play.

I ran on 2+ computers for a long time, so I power-leveled myself. Fortunately, the skill point hoarding wasn’t a problem for me. Much later on, the Token fixed this. I did like the finality of the builds, though. I had several Sorc’s which all had several personalities. My monster smashing light sorc, my chill (no pun intended) cold farming sorc, my fun OP fire ball sorc, my power-level enchant sorc. Obviously, with the Character limit in D3, this wasn’t going to happen.

Build diversity was so much better in D2. Balance wasn’t perfect, but I could beat Baal using every offensive skill for the sorc in less than 8 minutes. Not until LoD rings came out could you maybe have done this on T16 and you still won’t beat GR150 with every offensive skill.

For many reasons above, I just won’t give D4 a shot, seeing as they are taking the D3 design path. I’m 52. Hopefully, before I hit the big 6-0, D4 will be ready to play.

1 Like