I need a crash course in Crusadering

I have some questions about the Crusader on account that I usually play DH. It took a really long time to learn the ins and outs of that class because I didn’t ask questions. I don’t really want it to take that long to learn the Crusader, so I have three questions for right now but may come back and revisit this thread if I have more.

Question #1: What is the sheet cooldown rate I should shoot for and how many rolls does it take to get there?

Question #2: How important is attack speed? Is there an optimal attack speed rate for the class and does it change between 1 and 2 handed weapons?

Question #3: How much area damage is good enough? Are other rolls more important and you should only put it on if a piece can fit it?

Is there a buold you’d like to focus on?

CDR is king in almost all sader builds 68% if i remember correctly wtihout checking for perm Akarats Champion or AC. Captains Set makes this easy to achieve. This should be a priority when dtarting out.

AS almost never matters. Hammer build being an example but Hammers needs buffs and is out of meta

AD only matters when you start to min/max and push GRs.

Right now, I’m focused on A6 Phalcon. It seems to be most like the DH so the playstyle fits my instincts on how to play the game.

So that’s my focus right now. But I’m going without Rally on Akarat’s Champion on account it seemed more important for the Shield Bearers build than it does Bowmen, so it feels like you could go with a different rune for more survivability but it makes the Law and Iron Skin not have full uptime, so I’m wondering if there is a target cooldown rate to mitigate that.

The Rally version doesn’t require much CDR, but I’d still aim for ~60%. That is pretty much max CDR rolls on: Shoulders, Gloves, Weapon, Shield, Enchantress: Prophetic Harmony.

The advantage to Rally is you’ll likely have 100% uptime on Iron Skin:Flash.

If you’re not taking Rally, 66.67% is a magic CDR number. but I believe you can only get to 66.37% by adding CDR to both rings. Cubing Leoric’s is an option, but Stone Gauntlets are preferred.

With Long Arm of the Law you get 100% Law uptime @ 66.77% CDR.

And… seeing that you’re playing Bowmen, you don’t need Eternal Union at 66.77% CDR, you can maintain those Avatars 100% of the time without it.

So if I were you… equip Unity or Justice Lantern (requires high block %) instead of Eternal Union and go for Max CDR everywhere possible except your Amulet:

Shoulders, Gloves, Weapon, Shield, Ring1, Ring2, 25k Int Enchantress w/ Prophetic Harmony.

Thanks, dmkt. It appears I still have some gearing to do. I’m at 61.somthingorother right now. My rings are the problem at the moment. I do have some justice lanterns so I might see what I can do with those, might be able to squeeze another cooldown roll there.

Dropping Holy Cause for Long Arm of the Law might help too, thanks for that info. Though that 10% damage will be missed but maybe not as much I think it will.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Keep in mind perm Law and perm Akarats is a lot more damage than the 10% damage lost on the passive swap.

2 Likes

Thank you, guys, for all the advice. With your help, and after finally getting a Unity I could roll cooldown onto, and due in no small part to getting Eskandiel as the Guardian, I was able to complete a 125 and get back into the Top 20 on Akkahn Leaderboard.

You guys are awesome and thank you, again, so much!

3 Likes

There’s a ring, I’m sorry but I forget what it’s called, that keeps your bowmen, and one of the other configurations, from de-rezzing. (Unless they’re killed, of course.)

It’s called “Eternal Union” and I was using it for a while and it does well but being able to switch it out CoE or Unity is better once you start pushing into 125+. I do like the fact that your Phalanx Bowmen will become targets and with that ring you can go into the middle of a big pull, plop down your bowmen, and get out of Dodge while your bowmen tank and blast the pack while the pack virtually ignores you. But I’m thinking the ring needs a damage modifier as well as making your phalanx permanent.

Do you know if the Enforcer legendary gem, that increases pet’s damage, works on any of the Phalanx entities?

It does work with Phalanx and the A4 bonus too.