I don't want this game to die

Only companies who hate existing would do that. Which to be fair, you sometimes get an impression a few of them do. Many companies know that brands matter.

Really? A product that doesn’t sell (well) tends to be pulled from the shelves, at best you can hope for the items in inventory to be sold, but a lot of the times the inventory is just discarded.

You are talking about selling them, when the topic was supporting them (in D3s case with content or patches).
My old phone still receives updates, so does my old TV, my monitor got a firmware update recently, and so on. Even though the companies are not selling them anymore. Phones indirectly got MTX I guess, so you will probably argue it doesn’t qualify, but my TV sure doesn’t.

They are still very much selling D3 however. It likely still turns a profit every single year.

1 Like

Then they aren’t very old.

Seeing as I started it with the line “Most companies drop a product when it no longer sells.”, no it’s not.

Well, phone appears to be 7 years old, and TV 4 years old. More than enough that they arent produced anymore at least.

Your “drop a product” was in direct response to a talk about continued development…

Anyway, point just is, a lot of people seem to have naïve views on business decisions. Smart companies don’t just abandon products the moment they arent selling. That would be self-destructive.

Nor are games usually taken of the shelf, you can still buy games that are 3-4 decades old. Not selling them serves very little purpose, even if they only sell a handful of copies each year.

Why did Blizzard stop supporting HoTS and SC2 development? :thinking:

Why did Blizzard still support those old games like Hearthstorm WoW and keep making expansions at insane rates for these games? :thinking:

I wonder what is the rea $ on for them to do that. :thinking:

SC2 had its latest patch in January 2023.

Plenty of online only titles that are actually dead, unable to be played.

You will play monetization platform 4 and you will enjoy it!

1 Like

Sure. Still a tiny fraction of games. Hence, ‘usually’.

Doubt it will be “usually” for much longer, online only will be the norm fairly soon I reckon.

I genuinely wish they could come up with new DLCs for D3 and D2, but deep down I know it might be a fantasy

2 Likes

Never give up hope friend! :+1:

Yeah, that wont happen. Only a tiny tiny fraction of games currently are online only.
But even among online only games, it is likely not the usual.

You need to tell them how much money you are willing to spend for that fresh content. They make video games to make money.

Pretty sure it will. Not tomorrow of course, but not to far into the future.

100 % d’accord - could not be written more clearly - thank you!

With this post, I finally and totally understand my subconscious approach:
With D3: Everything is done and I have time => let’s play D3.
With D4: Everything is done and I have time => does it really have to be D4 … right now?

As an addition: Going from the leveling build to endgame build is incredibly time-consuming and (for me) takes a spreadsheet (for the aspects: which one at which position available?)

1 Like

i played d4 early access beta to level 25. could barely stomach it. game went live, gave it a 2nd chance and couldnt even make it past level 10. just so boring. open world mmo aspects do no belong in this genre. gear stats / itemization is horrendous. talent trees are a rats nest. every dungeon is a copy / paste of the one before it. there is no flavor. there is no uniqueness. just 1 gargantuan bore.

it is really sad that they will be shelving d3. i have played just about every season of d3. not missing many, and the 2-3 that i did was because of remote work. i would honestly be happy and willing to drop $20-50 for every new season they come out with. all they need to do is jostle around some new leg affixes, pets, portrait frames etc… and i am happy playing until season 1000.

2 Likes