I don't get the obsession to keep the game exactly the same, the original is still there right?

So many people are fighting so hard to keep the game mechanics so outdated as they were 20 years ago and they get really pissed off when someone suggests quality of life changes. Well the old game is still there and very much playable with its servers and everything, the only difference is the 3D cover, which also some people may see ruin the experience somehow.

This is a remaster for modern times with modern QoL changes, I played a ton of Diablo 2 in the past and I still would love to actually see improvements to the game other than just a 3D cover if its going to be worth the 40$.

Also new players need to find this game more accessible, while the basic difficulty and mechanics shouldnt be changed many tedious and outdated mechanics have to be changed for this game to survive past a year of release and not return to the same people playing D2 atm

98 Likes

You didnā€™t even know about respec tokens stop lying.

61 Likes

I didnt play Hell enough to do so because the game didnt really encourage me to get that far soon as I hit hell everything was immune to stuff and I couldnt progess without a reliable respec. I played it solo or with one friend I didnt have the guides etc. in the past. Many new players will have that problem btw

8 Likes

No this isnā€™t a thing. Nobody gets hardstuck in a difficulty on bnet. Itā€™s obvious from your posts that you have no idea how anything in d2 works so the fact that you keep making these suggestions is strange. Try to learn the game first and then look at it from a critical perspective.

Edit: Iā€™m not trying to be mean, but thereā€™s so many people like you that are making suggestions on what to change that donā€™t even understand how the game works.

51 Likes

History of the games has several sad examples when ā€˜modern changesā€™ ruined the game. One of those is Lineage 2 which turnes from beloved game to unplayable piece of sā€¦
I think that in case of implementation all of these QoL changes, D2R might go same path of destruction. Thats why me and hundred of players are against of personal loot, charm inventory and so on.
When I think about brand new Diablo, Iā€™m looking forward to playing Diablo 4. But now Iā€™d like to play old good D2LOD with new graphics with minimum other changes.

28 Likes

Well then why dont you just go back to playing the old game if itā€™s so perfect, why do you even need a remaster? 40$ Just a 3D cover?

22 Likes

Well, since you donā€™t know anything about the game, let me lay it out for you.

Current d2 is full of hackers and botters. Hardly anything is legitimate anymore. Nonladder is full of hacked items. NL and Ladder both have duped items. The trade scene is a meme at this point from the abuse of hacks/bots.

On top of that, current d2 is stuck in a resolution suited for 4:3 aspect ratio monitors. On a 16:9 monitor this looks bad. Everything is stretched out. The alternative is to have huge black bars on everything.

Not only that, but a lot of new players will be interested in the game with the renewed graphics. Having a more active community is always a good thing. Blizzard is never going to fix the glaring issues with current diablo 2, because there is no advantage to doing so. On top of that, with it running on the old bnet, there are too many vulnerabilities. Theyā€™d have to rewrite the whole client/server infrastructure.

36 Likes

I personally dont think the 3D cover is worth 40$. changes can be made and tested, but we shouldnt push for exactly the same game

18 Likes

Iā€™ve bought for approximately 27$ in my country (Russia).
This is not big money for me (Iā€™m 35 y.o.).

2 Likes

$40 is a fraction of what I paid when the original game came out. How would it not be worth that? What a joke.

8 Likes

You are basically buying the same game again, I have the old game and tbh if the game stayed the same I would be kinda dissapointed. Maybe make things more accessible on Normal and Nightmare at least and try to keep hell as is

6 Likes

You are not forced to buy it, bro. If you think that game is the same as it was, not worth 40$, just skip it and wait D4. Whats the problem?

20 Likes

Outside of you, iā€™ve never heard anybody claim that hell is even inaccessible in this game. We are buying a remaster, but it seems like you are interested in a different game.

25 Likes

The reason why most people who have played D2 are so hyped about D2R is not the 3D cover.

The old game has been ridden with bots, dupes, hacks, spam etc etc for years and years, almost all of its lifespan, its pretty much unplayable, D2R will feel like playing D2 before all that, where you can play with actual people again, where everyone stands in equal footing and where everyone has to work for their stuff and where market is not flooded with duped high end items and such, its gonna be awesome.

3D cover is just nice bonus.

35 Likes

Well its a a ripoff for anyone if i stayed exactly the same, you have the option to play the older games with almost everything you need, newer players will want QoL changes. And D4 and D3 are definately not a good alternative for it

7 Likes

I canā€™t see any outdated mechanics in D2. They are just different. Maybe some players do not like them, but I like them. And I was a ā€œnewā€ player when this game was released, and I liked them, so I see no problem gamers nowadays will like them too, gamers are the same as they were 20 years ago - just people who like games, different games. These mechanics can seem a little too ā€œhardcoreā€ nowadays, but thatā€™s just an illusion, just look at the souls series, they are very popular.

Some of my buddies didnā€™t like D2 and they played other games back then and play them now, I see no problem that some people will not play D2R too.

13 Likes

Im not asking for major changes, just QoL changes like easier respecs (Not Free) I agree with seperate loot and better inventory and potion management. These wont ruin the experience they will enhance it and maybe you should try them before complaining about any potential change you might even like them

4 Likes

What youā€™re asking for is just so absurd to anyone who understands the game because respecs have never been easier than they currently are in d2.

Back in the day you had to completely reroll if you messed something up on your character.

Then they added in the akara respec quest and there was backlash because of it making the game too easy.

Then they added the token of absolution, giving players even more opportunities if they somehow messed up the 3 free respecs that they get from akara.

It really is not hard to farm the essences for a respec.

Edit: If you want to test out builds, you can always do it in single player with mods/hero editors.

15 Likes

But that will rip any posibility of someone stealing your loot, and thats a good mechanic. Isnt that great that when you got finaly your desired item, and someone steals it, and you need to trade and make compromises to get it back? It just like you are really going to dungeon with people and after boss fight, you must decide who will get an item. Just like in DnD game, that just awesome.

7 Likes

There is no obsession with keeping the game exactly the same.

For years players have asked to re-make the game with a polished look and more efforts to stop hackers and bots. Blizzard finally says yes we are going to do just that and the forum is a bunch of people asking them to treat it like a new game.

Given the reasons why Blizzard has stated for why they re-made the game and the intentions they have, it does not make sense to re-work the core systems of the game in the ways some of these ā€œQOL Changesā€ would do so.

Even if the devs are open to changes in the future, why would they be at launch? This game is literally made for nostalgia purposes. Launching the game immediately with a bunch of re-worked concept would not allow much of that nostalgia at all.

If you think a re-master is not worth the money, donā€™t buy it. Play games that have what you like. When they allow mods that do some of the thinks you like, use them.

Its weird that people explaining this should be kept as a re-master are being called unreasonable and not the people who are asking for changes be made to a game from a company who literally stated their intention was not to make dramatic changes to the game.

23 Likes