How to nerf DH for real!

First, it is not “my” data. I have no affiliation with the linked website:
http://ranks.zeroempathy.org/e13

This website collects information from the leaderboards of the 4 regions (America, EU, Asia and China). Although there may be a lag of a day or so relative to the current leaderboard, the data provides an unbiased snapshot of the worldwide leaderboard. If you think that there are problems with the accuracy of data, you can cross-reference it to another independent website to alleviate those concerns:

I think that you will find that there is no problem with the accuracy of the data and it is not flawed.

What data did you use to reach the conclusion that post-nerf crusaders are 5 GRs above DH currently in terms of solo power?

If you are arguing that the dataset has biases due to the number of players playing each class, of course, it does. There may also be biases in the relative aptitudes of players that stratify by class. You put forth 2 explanations to explain why more solo DH have cleared GR 150 than pre-nerf crusaders.

Explanation 1.

As mentioned in my post, the non-season era leaderboard was not reset with the new patch. There was a significant enrichment last patch in people playing crusaders and witch doctors due to their power. These clears are still part of the leaderboard. These two classes were nerfed in the latest patch.

Explanation 2

Certainly, this argument has more merits than the other explanation. I think that this is one of the main points in why this thread was created, because of how GoD DH interact with missile dampening affixes and the reliance on devouring arrow for high clears.

I know the idea behind the thread but…

I haven’t seen a nerf thread since we sorted out that Missile Dampener was the culprit in all or almost all the Greater Rift 150 clears.

So I don’t see why this thread was necessary other than to gin up the “nerf DH” crowd.

I thought this was put to bed. If folks want to pretend the DH is OP, they’re going to pretend that regardless of whatever buff or nerf our class receives.

Hey, I don’t like that we rely on a specific affix to do 150, but I also don’t see a huge problem with it.

I’d love for it to be more powerful in other areas but personally I think Blizzard should decide and not have a thread, however well intentioned it be, be a place where folks start arguing that whatever buff isn’t enough or nerf is too much or vice versa.

So, now all the nerf folks can bring up this crap again. It was settled and didn’t need to be relitigated.

4 Likes

:pray: :pray: :pray:

The reason that the discussion died down about nerfing/fixing interaction with missile dampening the GoD build was that there was an emerging consensus that the build did rival AoV crusaders and Mun witch doctors from the prior patch. The conversation shifted to how to most appropriately change things rather than arguing for maintaining the status quo.

I really doubt that the number of pierces reaches even 10 without missile dampening. See the number of pierces is relevant to the distance travelled by the arrow, since it has a maximum distance. If you watched the hungering arrow carefully, you will find that the arrow travels about 15 yards, each pierce, before its finds target. By 10 pierces, I don’t see the maximum distance to be anywhere near 150 yards.

So if you’re really aiming to nerf it, maximum pierce should be down to between 3 to 5 instead, and should only apply for Devouring Arrow rune.

Earlier I ran a test, My single target max damage hits were 2T. In density those hits reached 57T.

How do you explain this phenomena?

That 2T hit was a high, it already had more than 1 pierce attributed to it. The 57T was undoubtedly 40+ pierces (it was not an ad hit).

To reiterate my forked recommendation:

Ninth Cirri Satchel: Add 20 pierce cap. (est. 4GR nerf: really needs testing)
Devouring Arrow Rune : 70% → 20% (~6GR nerf @ 20 pierces, again needs testing)
GoD 6pc : 40,000% (~9GR Gain)

What does this do for our builds?

Skill Rune Change Solo Clear @ 5k
Hungering Arrow Devouring Arrow -1 141
Hungering Arrow Spray of Teeth 5 138
Hungering Arrow Shatter Shot 5 139
Bolas Volatile Explosive 9 137
Grenade Cluster Grenade 9 135

How are there only 3 players tied for the best time on the 4-man Non-season EU leaderboard? What happened to the fourth guy?

Just so you know, I’m hunting you down and dragging you here to fix Comcast’s SNR/MER issues on the OFDM carrier block. That’s what you get for being good at math.

Well, either that or you get to put together a miniature Delta Flyer for me. You choose. :stuck_out_tongue:

I survive by letting my eyes glaze over and then focus my anxiety through my good eye’s lens and melt the glaze into a superhot mass that wipes away the evil letters and replaces them with gummy bears, which I then quite happily solve by ingesting. :slight_smile:

Now, if you can surive my quantum mess, I’ll be impressed. :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you want an electrical engineer instead lol. Mathematicians don’t “fix” things, rather we tell you that there exists at least one thing that is broken.

1 Like

And if can’t find the problem, you invent another dimension to make the math work :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s where the tech support part of me comes into play. :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

2 Likes

They’re not entirely different though.

Are you sure? :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure. I know some quantum mechanics and the source of the equation is different while the resulting equation is the same. Anyways, let’s keep this thread back on topic of DH nerfs! If you want to know more about this Schrödinger equation, you can start a different thread (I’ll check it out)!

Edit: No worries about the derailing, it all started when I got called out for “probably knowing more math than others” so it’s my fault sort of! I just had to back up my claim with some math wizardry.

1 Like

Sorry, it was only supposed to be a light-hearted response based on not knowing about the state of a cat inside the box. By all means, back to DH stuff…

1 Like

Meh. I’d rather have your math derail than the usual troll tropes that are constantly dished out here. :wink:

Like i said. I personally think that DH with the GoD - Set is in a good spot right now. I also see many ZDHs being invited to 150s so the buff there was worth it and ZDHs get accepted and apreciated by a broader playerbase.

I mean i cleared 126 with little to no effort with my DH while having 400 Paragon less than my NS-Barb. I have 0 trouble finding a group, With Yangs i just spin through T16 like a mad when it comes to farming.

Higher grifts would be possible with fishing, but overall, in my opinion DH is just as it should be. And those 150 clears, well honestly , they farmed 2000-5500 keys for that.

So its not like everybody just does it on the Flyby. And those mobs are super-rare. Sure…they are probably not working as intended as the affix is called Missile Dampening and not Missile Enhancing. But if the affix is that rare…and you have to fish for it. Why not, see it as a walking Conduit Pylon.

I agree, Fourier Transformations are close to wizardry, but the Schrödinger Equation just gives you some rough idea where an eletron might be at a certain point of time. Also i didnt call you out. I just said that well…it doesn’t sound very nice (just sounded arrogant and belittling, but you already explained that it wasnt ment that way).

I would not directly compare your season 21 clears with your non-season efforts due to the strength of the seasonal buff. This becomes obvious when looking at the paragon levels of the season versus non-season solo GR 150 clears. You can also look at the table at the end.

Are you referring to season or non-season here? With the 5,500 number, I assume you are referring to season 21 and Wudijo.

Class Number of Solo GR 150 Clears (Era 13/Non-season) Top Non-season Solo GR 150 Clear Time Number of Solo Season 21 GR 150 Clears Top Season 21 Solo GR 150 Clear Time
Demon Hunter 37 11m22s 34 10m38s
Witch Doctor# 30# 11m22s# 0 (Top GR 143 @ 12m51s) N/A
Crusader# 26# 10m21s# 0 (Top GR 146 @ 13m49s)
Necromancer 17 11m47s 4 11m55s
Barbarian 0 (Top GR 148 @ 12m53s) N/A 2 10m52s
Monk 0 (Top GR 145 @ 14m33s) N/A 0 (top GR 142 @ 14m52s) N/A
Wizard 0 (Top GR 143 @ 14m11s) N/A 0 (Top 134 @ 14m17s) N/A

'# Nerfed in patch 2.6.9. Almost invariably, crusader and witch doctors era 13 clears were from patch 2.6.8, as patch 2.6.9 nerfed both classes. The non-season leaderboard was not reset for patch 2.6.9 and that is why these clear are still part of the current leaderboard.

See S21 worldwide leaderboard here:
http://ranks.zeroempathy.org/s21
See era 13/non-seasonal worldwide leaderboard here:
http://ranks.zeroempathy.org/e13

Thanks though. That refreshed my memory abit and enjoyable to follow through even I couldn’t recall a good half of the formulaes on a whim.