How to get better weapons & gear?

(New player here, so sorry in advance for the dumb questions.)

Had a friend help level me a little bit and I was going to try and do a Rift. I had the difficulty on Normal and Hard and I keep dying instantly. Not dealing a single hit point of damage. What am I doing wrong and how do I get better gear?

You should have earned some gold during the level process. As you seem to be failing to kill anything on your own, use that money to buy gear from the merchants. It very likely has to be better than whatever you currently have. Each town has, usually, at least 4 merchants so try them all.

1 Like

Get a quiver. Also put emeralds in your gear for dexterity - rubies give strength (for barbs and crusaders) and topaz give intellect (for wizs, WD and necros).

btw, welcome back

1 Like

Also, you can switch back to Campaign Mode if Rifts are too difficult (as they are more random by nature so you may encounter enemies that you cannot handle) and let it guide you. Completing events/sections will earn you some gear, some of which is Legendary (like Leoric’s Crown). It will also earn you regular gems, craft materials (white, blue and yellows), gold, some XP and so forth.

Or, play with your friend again and see if they can play the same class as you. That way, when something drops, they might need it but it is most assuredly an upgrade for you.