How to blanket buff Underused Skills

Simplely, it would have to be a Leg Gem. It would buff Skills that don’t belong to a set/item. However else the Devs would like to incorporate this is up to them. Seems like a doable quick fixes to bring diversity.

2 Likes

If it was multiplicative to the general buff of the Legacy of Dreams that would be amazing and a right fit in my opinion.

That is a fantastic idea! Thank you DieHarder!

I really want to see some more input on if this would be viable and not break things or create more problems than it would fix.

3 Likes

Buffs, buffs, and even more buffs, bring on the buffs. Heck with that bring on D4.

I too am excited for D4, but D3 Witch Doctor has a special place for me and I want to be able to come back to this game for many many years and actually have something going for my favorite class/abilities.

The idea and intent may be fine but the implementation will be near impossible. How do you define what skills are not tied to any set/item? Sets with global damage modifiers buff everything already, including those unused skills.

A “blanket buff” is doomed to fail. Unused skills need proper individual support items which then can be used in conjunction with global damage modifying sets, including LoN/LoD.

Yeah I understand, defining “unused skills” is the tricky part. Which since there is no way to really balance that, it would be adding a sort of classification or separate buff like the Bane of the trapped already does.

The big problem with “blanket buffs” is that they treat everything equally. Let’s say you have a bunch skills with relative damage difference of 20% between top and bottom skills. No matter how much you blanket buff those skills, that relative difference is still 20%. And makes zero difference in build diversity.

We already have enough blanket buffs with sets and gems like LoD. What unused skills need are support items. Many unused skills already have such items but are woefully underpowered. Also many legendary items still don’t have legendary powers which could be turned to support items for unused skills.

Well, we still have a couple of years.

Rather than make specific items, we can use a system that’s already in place. I main Barb so I’ll use that class as an example:

Any dibbs that we can roll on items becomes it damage multiplier. Revenge can roll on shoulders, chest, and 2H allow for dibbs rolls also. Each dibbs percentage point will become a multiplier of 200% increase damage, 45% dibbs translates to a 9000% increased multiplier to unused Skills. And I believe there are a few legendary item out there that will allow for dibbs rolls, a pair of boots I believe that will roll dibbs on every class skills is out there, but I can’t remember there names. This for starters.

what are dibbs???

1 Like

Damage Increased By Beautiful Skills?

If we want to blanket buff and have all skills at the same level, simply have a gem that disregards weapon damage, skill damage, skill multipliers, flat damage multipliers, main stat damage buffs, and crit damage multipliers… just make a gem along the lines of:

• all skills now hit for a flat X amount and will crit for a flat Y amount of damage.

You won’t need to balance jack as everything hits for the same amount of damage regardless of the amount of buffs you have. Just need to stack a tonne of defense and crit chance for most part. AOE skills will have an advantage but then they always have.

You’re looking a way to buff LoD or LoN set. Also there are Set items out there that amplify your overall damage output regardless of skill used. By theme, idea is out of line already, side effect to it would be a buff to general damage increase Sets which is hardly needed. Wanted damage increase? Use the right damage or skill proc legendary with them.

Let’s say they applied such change, the effect wouldn’t last too long. After illusion is lifted a month later, you can see people start crying about T20 being “too easy” and complain about build diversity about “weak” skills then demand a direct increase. Because skill-x deal 5% weapon damage less than skill-y.
If you go that extra mile, it’s a vicious cycle that people never stop demanding until every class and every build plays the exact same way and deal exact same damage.

Ask to break this cycle instead. Want balance? Ask developers to balance skills by using different aspects like recovery, dodge and secondary affix synergies. Lock specific skillrunes to required class or off-class (shields?) equipment, empower them with extra benefits. Experiment. Such old system require an individual treatment.
That should give space for power growth or at least create an illusion of choice. That’s more meticulous compared to amplifying linear trifecta of; damage output, mitigation and crowd control whenever someone cries out loud but I’m willing to bet the gameplay engagement will be lasting longer.
Buff this, that. It supposed to stop somewhere; people reached GR150. What’s next for character customization and challenge?

May be this is expecting way too much from a bare bones team with no resources, especially for a game that hardly makes money for them but when will this infinite array of number boasting stop? Eventually devs gonna nerf something brokenly overpowered and people will have anger problems over that.

Not necessarily. It could also be a set with non-specific bonuses.

But first I need to say that I think that all 6-piece sets should have 7 pieces, but require only 5 of them for the full bonuses of the set. This would increase build diversity by allowing more variety in set combinations and supporting items than what we have now, which is the reworked level 70 crafted sets, and the traditional set support items.

Second, I think the six-piece, one-skill set is the wrong direction for Blizzard to be going with sets, and disastrously so. It kills any build diversity in the game, and it leaves players out in the cold who might enjoy playing offbeat builds with “unpopular” skills; those skills having no “set” that improves their performance.

There should be at least one “real” set that any class can wear, which focuses on performance bonuses rather than a single skill bonus.

For example:
“(2) Set: Your skill performance is increased by 20%.”
“(3) Set: The duration of all time-based skills is increased by 25%”
“(5) Set: All Passives gain an additional 100% of their stated effect.”

Any class could put on a set like that, with any skill and passive equipped, and enjoy a massive gain in performance.

Or, thinking of defensive skill groups only:

“(2) Set: Your Defensive skill performance is increased by 20%.”
“(3) Set: The duration of all time-based Defensive skills is increased by 25%”
“(5) Set: All Defensive Passive skills gain an additional 100% of their stated effect.”

Or, thinking of offensive skill groups:

“(2) Set: Your Secondary skill performance is increased by 20%.”
“(3) Set: The duration of all time-based skills is increased by 25%”
“(5) Set: All Offensive Passive skills gain an additional 100% of their stated effect.”

Any class could put on a set like the two above, with any skill and passive equipped (of the bonus categories), and enjoy a massive gain in performance.

If this was implemented, for most classes, there will be a mandatory set in all dps builds:

• Nats for DH
  • IK for Barb
  • Tals for Wiz
  • Innas for Monk

They’re all general buff sets and would be able to be coupled with other class sets, especially if we only needed 4 of each class set + RORG. It would be a disaster for build diversity at higher GRs.

I agree with this though.

I hate sets that are designed in a specific way that primarily supports 1 skill for dps.

Take UE… yeah, I use it a lot but would it have hurt for the likes of EA and Chakram to be supported without having the items that turns them into generators? And what about Cluster Arrow… instead they butchered the M6 set to make our own CA attacks the main damage dealer.

S6 could have had a bit more variety too with Bolas, Grenades and Chakram being other supported skills that fit in with the melee weapon gearing constraint.

The other set I hate is the Seeker of the Light set… really, would it have been hard to add FotH or Blessed Shield to this set so that those skills would be alternative dps skills to Blessed Hammer?

The Rathma set always annoys me… I want to use AotD, Golem and Revive… they’re just not competitive skills with this set. Revive in particular should have been an alternative to Mages.

I could rant on all day but I’d just be preaching to the converted. Sets could have been so much more in this game.

1 Like

Tomorrow I start a one week media fast, so I won’t be reading or posting. I want everyone to know that I have not abandoned this thread. This is something that I had planned in advance. See yous in a week.

I’m not sure about a “blanket” concept but I kinda like this idea of buffing unused/weak skills.

There could be a GEM where an imprint of any skill could be stored. In theory, it could work as a LoD gem currently does and get stronger by leveling it via GR’s.

I have no clue how this would be balanced but the GEM with an IMPRINT would not work with SETS (only LoD rings?).

For example: If you IMPRINT DH’s multishot into a GEM and you pair it with a SET and you gain Multishot damage increase from set (some dmg unrelated effects may be allowed?), GEM with an imprint (gem of mimic :slight_smile: ) is disabled and SET WORKS. There could be an icon in your UI if the gem is in effect or not.

Currently there are many skills that are underused, don’t have their sets or even support items. I think this way a lot of skills could be buffed to a “playable” and competitive state. It would also potentially safe a huge amount of time designing items/sets for each and every skill. The only question would be balancing…

But together with LoD this could have so much build diversity, could be real crazy :slight_smile: