How does the Ignored users feature work?

Do you need to put the persons name in both the Ignored and Muted box for it to work?

As far as I’m concerned, “mute” blocks notifications from that user only such as quoting, mentioning your name tag or liking your posts; “ignore” gets poster hidden between so you can’t read him without interacting and I think does the same job as mute as well. Not sure though.

1 Like

One is for posts, the other for notifications. You want both on.

Now that the OP’s question is answered I’m more confused as to why there are two different options for the simple function of blocking a persons’ existence; indecisiveness such common place that that catering to both was actually considered and imposed
I don’t like this person, but I still care what they say

Thank you so much, now I can just Ignore and Mute said person.

As long as it isn’t personal I honestly see no reason to weigh the opinions of people based on their affability (or lack thereof).

I can sort of answer that. The Discourse software package only came with Mute which stopped the notifications that would pop up. Some people want to selectively mute threads or stop notifications from one person.

Ignore was added to the software build only this year which allow you to not only stop the pop up notifications, but grey out posts from an individual. The first build we got had time limits on the Ignore duration. They recently added a permanent ignore duration.

So, they did not remove the older feature when adding the new one. That is why there are two. Mute notifications is a very light handed thing. Ignore is heavy handed.

3 Likes

They should add a better ignore function as GameFAQs did.

When you ignored someone there, the ignored posters on your list also won’t be able to quote or see your post unless they log out, just to see what you wrote.

There were a few moments here that I still able to read the posts of ignored posters because someone quoted his post, and the ignored posters for some reason just love to replied most of my posts despite that I didn’t even reply to him once. It is almost like he didn’t get the memo or he outright doesn’t care whether I can respond to him or not.

Conversely I would like the ability to read every post that was ever flagged/purged, and I promise to absolve Blizzard from any and all obligation of maintaining a friendly, stress-free environment for myself.

If a BBQ Bacon Chili Cheeseburger = an Ignore or a Mute, then how many of said BBQ Bacon Chili Cheeseburgers would I have? Now, I am curious… and hungry, very very hungry. OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM GIMME GIMME GIMME BBQ Bacon Chili Cheeseburgers.

Now, I am talking at least 6 slices of bacon (no skimping on the carcinogens either), 3 slices of cheese (would be nice it it was colbyjack, pepperjack, and provolone, but it can be all cheddar), 2 thick medium rare beef patties (kobe would be good, buffalo to if no cow, 4 tablespoons of chili (would be nice if it had a spicy kick to it, but regular chili is good too), 4 tablespoons of BBQ sauce (surprise me, I love them all) on each bun, and 2 toasted buns (buttery sourdough is the best).