How do we melee bosses?

To make it short : how am I suppose to melee Elites and bosses while standing on their desecrations/forst orb/frozen pulse/poison/arcane orb and so on?

To make it long : I level my wizard, my Witch doctor and my demon hunter to Torment 16. When the mobs cast opne of their 4 affixes I just move away and continue to fight from there.

Now I am trying to level a crusader and a monk and my oh my… I can kill horde of trashes in a single hit, but as soon as a group of elite arrives I am good for a 20 minutes fight or a 15 seconds before you die thing.

Unlike my ranged class, I need to stay toe-to-toe with the ennemies who launch all their stuff under my feet. I can’t run back to avoid those things because they just stay there (is it my Templar who taunt them?).

Even a few non-boss enemies kill me in a second : those mosquitoes spitting smaller mosquitoes, or the tongue-pitching ones are good examples.

I reforged all my gear to maximize vitality, I am only using vitality gems.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong : what is it?

Do you have any set gears? Your profile shows no set gear in any of your build.

Set bonuses, especially those with damage reduction, are very helpful as are “all resist” item affixes.

I run away from the molten explosions and dodge the arcane beams, but it does not mean I can’t get in close and beat the holy hells into a demon to make it pop.

Rather than using “Vitality gems” (Amethysts), switch to Diamonds, especially on a non-Intelligence character.

You could consider using one of the amulets that grant healing by damage type - I find that poison (Mara’s Kaleidoscope) is among the best of those as poison tend to get me, and fast.

Use an Esoteric Alteration and level it as high as you can - around level 50 is pretty good but I’ve needed it to 75.

If you’re using equipment that makes you squishy (some of the Shards and/or Squirt’s Necklace), look for alternatives - you don’t “need” them and they’re often for specific things anyway like pushing a perfect GR.

Also, if you are running T16 then besides the set gears, you might wanna put gold wrap belt, avarice band, and boon of hoarder gem, so the amount of gold you pick up turns to armor. That’s how I farm keys in T16 anyway…

Short answer: try not to. Try to draw the mob to clear ground. If your Templar prevents that, use Scoundrel or Enchantress.

Melee classes do get an automatic 30% damage reduction to help mitigate the fact that they have to stand toe-to-toe with the mobs, so there is that. But otherwise, look through your defensive skills and choose accordingly.

As for specifics, one reason I play DH is because of such issues with melee classes. Plus it is the most enjoyable class to play, and I will fight anyone who disagrees. But anyways, I can’t help you with the crusader since I don’t really play that class, but looking at your monk, he is using the Justice set, which is a Tempest Rush set. So you really shouldn’t be standing in anything. You should be constantly moving via Tempest Rush. If you are standing still, you are doing something wrong. Also, since Tempest Rush is your primary damage dealer, most of your other skills should be either defensive or movement oriented. You are using many other attack skills that are useless, like lashing tail kick and cyclone strike. Replacing them with some defensive skills like Serenity can help a lot in survivability.

A couple of other points: using a ruby in a weapon is not useful once you reach level 70. An emerald is far better. Also, your choice of legendary gems is quite suboptimal. Since you are using Tempest Rush, a channeling skill, a Taeguk is more useful, since it provided damage and toughness. Bane of the Trapped is almost a requirement for any build. The third gem could be a defensive gem or something like Bane of the Powerful which gives you some protection against Elites.

Another tip: bosses are huge. If it drops some ground effect trap, attack from its other side.

1. Get better gear. Look up guides on maxroll.gg and run FAST greater rifts at whatever level you can do in about 3min or less to gear up quickly. If you clear in 5 minutes or more, drop down to lower GR. Run two GRs back to back, quickly identify and stash/salvage the loot, quickly gamble from kadala for an armour slot where you are missing the guide item, and get into the next pair of rifts asap. Town is lava, stay efficient and you’ll be breezing through T16 and much higher in your shiny builds in no time!
  2. For playstyle, melee doesn’t mean you have to stand still. You can still move around a bit as you weave in attacks which will keep you away from the worst of the damage.

Edit: looking at your profile, your monk build is a bit all over the place. Look up a proper guide and copy that exactly, and your life will be much easier. Innas is strongest set at the moment, but pattern of justice as you’re using is not bad, but you need all the pieces in the guide. Mabe you just haven’t found all the pieces yet, and that’s ok. Just drop down to a GR you can clear quickly as in point 1 above, and then go back up as you find the missing pieces.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I really feel like a noob…

So, the things that popped the most for me is that Resistance should be more important than vitality as I gems and reforged, am I right? That would make sens… again I just feel like a noob…

I have sets for all my non-hardcore characters (save one who is my item’s holder), but I realize that I still need to gather a lot of items to complete the required buff and synergy to complete my sets.

And my gems should be rethink and upgraded… so I still have a long road ahead.

There’s a difference to which mitigation affixes are most useful to your hero, depending upon what class they are. Fundamental information is…

1 STR = 1 Armour
1 DEX = 1 Armour
10 INT = 1 All Resist

This means that STR and DEX based classes naturally have high armour, because it’s based on their main stat, but are low on All Resist. Those classes tend to want All Resist affixes on their gear, and they’ll use Diamonds in their chest / legs to add more.

The INT classes naturally have high All Resist, because it’s based on their main stat, but are low on Armour. Those classes tend to want Armour affixes on their gear, and they may use Rubies or Emeralds in their chest / legs to add more.

So, for a Crusader, ensure that armour items that can have All Resist on them (e.g. chest / legs) do, and use Diamonds in your chest / legs. You can always get more VIT from Paragon Points, you can’t get more All Resist that way.

Meteorblade, thank you for that, it is much more clear.

I’ll learn I’ll learn, promise!