How come some folks can reply to their own posts?

When I attempt this I get an error notice and post is blocked. Is this a special Level 3 privilege?

See posts 15 and 16 ==> Expanding The Meta - Trash Killers Post-Bazooka - #15 by Adda-1912

Am I understanding your question correctly? It seems you’re talking about the quote box. If so, that’s not the OP replying to their own post, that’s somebody quoting what the OP said before.

Like this?

I’ve tried using quotes from differing posts and quotes from parts of the same post. Neither have allowed mutli-posting without interleaved replies. Free has 2 consecutive posts, which are less than 40 mins apart.

Ok. Let me…20 characters…

test…20 chatacters

Seem to work fine for me. And I highly doubt I have level 3 privildege or whatever, as I just started using this forum. Afaik, there are some spam filter, so maybe you tried to post too many times throughout multiple thread/posts in a short period.

deleted the part where I mentioned HS forum, as I remembered it’s not this account.

It was more than 25 mins. apart in my post attempts.

I’m at trust level 2, and you are at trust level 1. Its been more than 20 mins. to add my edit.

If you start the thread you can’t post more than once between other replies, but if you are posting in someone else’s thread you can post multiple times between other posts.

So League was able to post multiple times in a row since you dated this thread you will not. In the thread you linked Free was able to post multiple times in a row since Ulmaguest started the thread.

3 Likes

Yup. If I want to reply to multiple responders in a thread I started, I have to do it all in one reply. If I reply to one, then create a second reply to another, it won’t be allowed, and I’ll get the prompt, “Please wait for others to participate before replying again.” Or something to that effect. So what I’ll end up doing is editing my prior reply to include additional replies all in one long reply. Kind of goofy, but it does prevent self bumping.

Thanks gents, and yes it is quite goofy. This forum design is flawed and promotes the creation of multiple threads just to be able to speak.

No, it prevents bumping threads that people aren’t replying to. You aren’t supposed to be remaking the threads that no one is replying to. you are supposed to let them die.

3 Likes

Just edit your post. There’s no need to repeatedly bump yourself.

1 Like

@Don Martin:
I wasn’t attempt to self bump. I was attempting to respond to different replies. Lumping it all together makes for difficult and jumbled reading. It leads to cluttered disorganized posts especially when the topic is hot and there are lots of continuous replies.

@Kasey:
I know what the intent is. However, we can just look at the general forum since BlizzCon. Folks can and will make threads that have variations of topics. The number of topics on D4 trade, criticisms of the paragon system, and criticisms of other D3 features/systems all come to mind.

This just forces the forum mods to have more cleaning up to do by forcefully merging threads. Forcefully merging threads leads to more jumbled topics and annoyed forum users. Annoyed forum users will just start more threads even if they have to just wait for a timer to expire. Its just an unhealthy spiral.

Self bumping or spaghetti spam of new threads. I was informed by the awesome one with green text as to why they chose to disallow self bumping. A small set of idiots ruins something of value for everyone else. This is typical over reacting or under reacting by Blizz.

I get what you’re saying now. How about if you just use the quote function to more easily separate your replies in the post?

1 Like

When there is a fast moving stream of posts/replies in a hot topic, attempting to quote in chunks and reply to those quotes can and will still lead to chaotic and jumbled posts. It will become a wall of jumbled text. What is worse is that others will sometimes follow the same advice and attempt to adjust their posts through the edit feature. This situation is a kin to throwing gasoline on a grease fire. God forbid a full on flame war ensues along with a handful of additional trolls joining the feast. There will be nothing more than constantly changing replies and edits that are out of sequence. Its worse than 2 people attempting to shout over each other in an argument where they interleave multiple languages including swear words. To the outside parties its a hot mess. To trolls and the immature its a Thanksgiving feast and opportunity to fire up the meme machine.

The very solution to the problem they (forum management) set out to fix, has an unintended side effect of creating more havoc because logical assimilation of ideas into cohesive chunks can’t be achieved and maintained through the normal replies. You might think that problem is only when folks are already out of control. You would be mistaken. All we need is a fast moving stream of replies on a hot topic. As more correspondents join the thread attempting to update replies become even more cumbersome. The one saving grace is that there are multiple correspondents hitting the reply button. Once a few folks attempt to be quick witted and start limiting their replies and just reply through edits, the conversation can quickly become noise.

I understand from MissCheetah why the self bump disallow was implemented. However, It seems like an elaborate attempt at reducing forum moderator work, punish all forum users, while ignoring the side effect.

You are not being punished by having to organize a post such that it is easy to see who you are replying to. This can be done with quotes or @person and spaces to separate sections. When you quote someone, the forums software notifies that person directly. It is the best way to handle it honestly. I certainly think you are quite capable of doing that given how well written your replies often are :slight_smile: That won’t really feel like punishment.

As for moderation, you might we well meaning, but overall most authors bumping threads do it for attention, not for clarification of issues. The new forum software stops a few things

-Bumping own thread for attention that annoys the posters here
-Necro bumps by an author that require mod input
-Spam replying to own post for post count ++

Most of that does not involve mods. The forum software does not really unduly burden you as a poster, nor unburden the mods.

I am very sure you can adjust :face_with_monocle:

No more self bumping. Instead just make yet another thread with slightly different name and start the cycle again. The spamming of threads for the sake of flooding the forum with a topic. No more spam replying to one’s own thread, a slightly different form of self bumping, which has the same effect.

If one starts a thread and some short time later realizes that they should add some additional info., the edit does not bump. If editing a reply to a thread, the edit does not bump. Anyone who’s watching or tracking the thread does not get a notification of the edit. The edit is lost as the death counter ticks on. No one is going to scour threads checking for edits; especially the ones with huge post counts. For example, the Make off-line mode in D4 thread. While it would be efficient and less bumpy for me to edit a reply that sits 40 replies prior to the last, no one in the conversation is going to scour the replies for edits. The edit might as well be a whisper to the wind.

The one great feature of the new forum system is the notification feature.

In your example there, you would be able to reply because others had replied.

The only time you can’t reply to your own thread is if nobody else replied. You just can’t reply to yourself!

Which is spamming and going to get the threads removed. If someone makes a topic and nobody cares enough to reply to it, maybe they will get the hint and not make more?