How about 3 Versions?

I won’t touch Immortal since I don’t care for mobile gaming. Even most handheld system games I play, I usually plug them into the TV (PSP, Gameboys). However, I do like some concepts of D4. The open world element seems to be interesting for community building and random raids, but one of the things that stood out to be from one of last years dev letters was the idea of keys to dungeons that gave dungeons random mods. That to me, seems freaking awesome. I didn’t pay much attention though to D4 news from Blizzcon outside of the Rogue reveal, as D2:R overshadowed it for me.

Same for me. I too play my Switch docked all the time. If there is a superior way to play it, I will play it that way. With regards to D4, I think its 2-3 years out still before it ready for release. I do keep tabs on it to see what new and interesting ideas they come up with, but nothing will beat D2 in my eyes.

and also HC versions of all of those lol

They’ll never make everyone happy with X number of limited versions.

I’ve said this in other threads, but I think one interesting option would be to copy Path of Exiles private league system and allow people to play custom leagues of various versions of the game, possibly even setting it up to allow people to start servers for modded versions of the game. Being able to play mods on official Blizzard servers I think might be pretty popular and allow Blizzard to effectively get free new content made for D2:R, keeping a lot more people around for a long time.

Since D2:R isn’t F2P like PoE (which charges for private leagues), the business model could be different. Maybe every persons account could sign up for one private league per season and starting one would require X number of people to sign up for it before it starts and/or maybe expand the WoW sub to being a Blizzard sub and anyone with a sub can just start and play in D2:R private leagues. :man_shrugging:

because its simply too much work for them to make 3 different versions imo it doesnt make logical sense in the first place even 2 versions is a stretch they either keep it original or they open the horizons which could be a grave mistake at this point in time i think blizzard wants to please their die hard fanbase like myself instead of losing them for the long haul
purists ftw we finally getting whats deserved LFG BOYS

2 Likes

I don’t see here debates about amazon face. 95% comments about amazon are about how ugly new model is. All of us (about 95%) want her to be young and beautiful (see thread Why is the amazon so ungodly ugly?. Even blizzrd replied there. There are only 2 or 3 people who post in fauvor of current ugly model, so it’s not really a debate.

1 Like

What about the interface? Console is getting decent interface, how about PC as well?

I am pretty sure that hardcore versus softcore enthusiastis have different ideologies in D2. Therefore, it is part of the history of D2.

The problem here is everyone has their opinion. What one thinks is ok others do not. And this even splits further and further. There are people on here asking for items being deleted entirely from the game, adding new characters, rebalancing skills and even deleting skills, the list goes on and on and on and on. Blizz cant make 20 different versions. Blizzard stated this was a REMASTER not a REMAKE. Now that is not to say after launch further changes can’t be added. Me personally I like what the devs have already stated and I am fine with that. Then once out if they want to add a patch with stacking, charm.inv ,more modern key binds and give players a option to play release patch or the newest version I am ok with that. But it is up to Blizzard to determine where the line in the sand is.

Ultimately this first sentence is essential. If they patch the game with content upgrades, drop changes, etc. Without the ability to play 1.14, they will lose a lot of credibility among the player base.

2 Likes

You’re doing this thing again where you’re relating something that’s not nearly as relevant as you think it is to try to bend an argument in your favor.

Maybe the biggest and most important factor here is that both Hardcore and Softcore game modes have always been a part of Diablo 2. That is not up for debate. Additionally, you are playing the exact same game within both of these two game modes, but have only 1 differing factor: the death penalty. Drawing a comparison between these communities, and the concept of creating entirely new communities hinged on making many changes to the core game in terms of gameplay and mechanics, is very far off base in my book. Anyway, enough said about that.

What is being argued in this thread, is to create a different game mode or modes, with a multitude of significant changes to the base game and potentially stray from the original game’s philosophy. Not only is this highly unlikely because Blizzard likes to keep their game communities united, but this would lead to two communities with two schools of thought, within the same game, which would likely despise each other.

When you fragment a community based on ideology on what a game should or shouldn’t be, it usually creates a negative rift in the community, and would be akin to maybe the sorts of things you see currently between D2 and D3, or even WoW Classic and WoW retail. At least for Blizzard’s sake, these are separate games, but this is still not ideal.

This kind of negativity and differentiation within its own game community can make it very unappealing (or even confusing) for new players to join in, which they don’t want to do. Even more importantly, fragmenting the online community in an ideological war can create a very sour environment. The sense of community and unity is positively related to player convergence/interdependence, and overall engagement in online games. Since Blizzard is a multiplayer focused game company, you will notice that their games are not very fragmented in this way, and that’s because it’s a significant factor in retaining player engagement and good for long term health of a game for their players to stay united (in either liking the game or not liking the game!).

Above all else though, making significant changes would work against what Blizzard’s objectives are with D2R. They’re trying to restore faith in the Diablo community so that more people become interested and ultimately purchase Diablo 4. D2R is not just a remaster, but it’s an early game play to boost D4 sales. Blizzard is not trying to win over players who want changes to the Diablo formula (they already have them). They are trying to win back the original die hards (which includes both D2 HC and SC communities) who don’t like the changes that were made in D3, and would most certainly not like many of the changes being proposed on these forums.

2 Likes

How is it too much work ? They would literally be leaving 2 of those 3 versions untouched…

Again there will be MILLIONS of people playing this game, adding another server with more updates is like adding another expansion to the game, it only HELPS and gives players more options.

1 Like

If think it´s the opposite!

I havent read a single dispute between D2 Classic and D2 LoD fans here.
Why that? Because both camps get what they want!

Giving us a D2 LoD and a D2 Lod “enhanced” version would calm both parties down, since no one would lose out on anything (while also giving both the opportunity to play the other version from time to time).

3 Likes

Agreed, I’ve never heard of classic and D2 LOD fans ever fighting about the game, when players get what they want they tend to be happier.

2 Likes

My thought here is… They have an on off switch for the 3D rendering, If they do Decide to Update the game with more “Options” such as a Bigger skill bar More Bosses and acts, and Ubers, Rune words Charms or even advanced end game rares, & if you DIDN’T want those things you could OPT OUT simply playing LOD or Classic…
Me personally I’d Love to see some additions to this wonderful game I spent Many years of My life playing!!! it’s not that the game wasn’t alrdy great i’d just like some more things added into an alrdy great game. maybe an act6 with another end act boss and ubers for act 6.

2 Likes

I just wanna say BTW they’re Giving Consoles a Bigger skill bar to game on D2, Couldn’t the community come together and support the same thing for PC? I feel that IS the Biggest Modernized thing possible here and Console is getting it. I remember D2 was a PC only game.
Shouldn’t we have these same “features/options”…

1 Like

While they haven’t commented on this themselves, I think it’s clear that PC is already getting this as well for controllers at the very least since they’ve already confirmed PC has controller support.

The only question is if KB/M users will be able to toggle it on as well and whether or not there is a “quick cast” option that uses the skill on button press rather than just swapping the left/right button slot.

I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet, but I’m also curious about abilities like Enchant and controller controls. Will it have a smart auto-rotation where it just casts automatically on targets in range if you press it repeatedly? If so, will we be able to use that feature with KB/M as well?

1 Like

They said that controller on the PC will work different than controller on the console version.

I hadn’t seen that. Was that in an interview after Blizzcon? Did they mention anything specific?

Quickly mentioned in one of the QA’s can’t remember which one, maybe the deep dive ?