Help with wizard Energy Twister build please

I’m trying to get this Energy Twister channeling wizard build to be sustainable with arcane power enough to simultaneously channel Disintegrate AND manually cast Energy Twister as fast as possible without dropping the Aquila’s Cuirass buff, or barely drop it, while still having Disintegrate cost something to gain procs from Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac to regain Diamond Skin/Crystal Shell as soon as possible.

Here is the build: https://www.d3planner.com/865069275

This build currently is resource thirsty at 21.28876 total arcane power used per second with the maximum resource cost reduction I could apparently get at 63.2% from every available affix and paragon and even Leoric’s Crown with a max Topaz.
It has 17 arcane power regen per second and needs Storm Armor/Power of the Storm to be even possible. Diamond Skin/Prism is too unreliable a buff to switch to so I would prefer this way.

The closest I’ve gotten, without changing to Ray of Frost, is to equip a Hergbrash’s Binding belt with legendary power at 58% and remove 1 of the 8% resource cost reduction affixes from an item so that Disintegrate costs 0.04 arcane power per second. This gets it 17.0066 total arcane power spent per second, which I’m unsure if rounds up/down in any way. Removing any more resource cost reduction would just make Energy Twister fully use more than 17 arcane power per second itself at 1.54 attacks per second. I also need Disintegrate to stay at 12 frames to proc Etched Sigil on time with its 1 second internal cooldown.
This is not good enough because I can never have a Primal Ancient Hergbrash’s Binding or a higher roll on the legendary power in any way or it will remove the cost from Disintegrate and break the Obsidian Ring procs.

Anybody know of any way to get this to be fully sustainable while Disintegrate/Arcane Torrent still costs some arcane power per second, however small, AND spamming Energy Twister/Raging Storm at the same time as constant as possible?
Is there some other class legendary piece that rolls more resource cost reduction or on a piece that normally doesn’t get that affix in my current build?
Maybe there isn’t a way, but I hope there is.

I just want to keep as much of the defense buffs up as constant as possible while making this as easy to play as possible, pretty much holding down 3 buttons for constant Disintegrate/Diamond Skin/Energy Twister spam.

Edit:
As an alternative, is there a better defensive item than Aquila’s Cuirass that I could use? I’ve currently got Unity ring in the build, but that could be swapped for Halo of Karini. That doesn’t seem reliable enough either though, but I was planning that already as an option.
It just feels like the chest slot is wasted if I don’t benefit from Aquila’s Cuirass while in a fight, and there is nothing really better than or an alternative to Aquila for the chest, which is sad.

Try channeling with Arcane Torrent/Static Discharge and 4 ApOc on ur off hand. Been ahwile since i played but i remember Static Discharge returning alot of AP.

Halo of Karini is pretty reliable for Twister build. Though it usually takes about a second or 2 after u cast to kick in. Also theres a rune that either gives Arcane or lowers resource cost on Strom Armor

1 Like

I’m using Storm Armor/Power of the Storm for 3 less arcane cost on everything. I also have the 4 arcane power on crit on the offhand in that build, but I was hoping to not need that so I could use it for a damage stat and I don’t feel it will be 100% reliable.

The trouble with Halo of Karini is always having enemies outside melee range to get that reduction. It’s not bad, just could be easier to maintain.
I do like the increased elite damage on Unity also.

I didn’t think it would be easy for somebody to figure out an option I missed to reduce the resource cost of Energy Twister or Disintegrate without Disintegrate being free. I may change the build after testing if just Energy Twister can proc Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac enough anyway.
Still open to ideas.

I run energy twister on switch. For solo I have apoc on wizard hat and offhand. Storm armour power of the storm. No rcr except paragon. As long as I am fighting in density resource is not a problem. I use archon to gather mobs before releasing twister.

But do you use Aquila’s Cuirass and see it drop or not?
I know I won’t have to worry about running out of resource likely, but I want my defense buff to stay up from that, especially since it seems to be the only chest piece choice for greater rifts.

I’ve always had density problems, maybe due to just bad luck with maps. I don’t expect that to save me, but at least this build won’t be about casting on just 1 enemy or empty space.

Yup its maps. Twister wiz is an AoE build so u need to fight in density for high clears…

You’re probably at the point where u need to fish for GRs. Bad map, bad mobs then exit… Good map, bad mobs (like Morlu Legionaires or Falleb) then exit… Good mobs, bad maps, your choice to exit or try.

As for Aquilas, ur generally not gonna keep full AP to proc it often and especially with Disintegrate ur gonna drain AP. Only time i used Disintegrate is with non archon LoD Star Pact… But u need high paragons and full augments to run that

If u need extra damage reduction use Arcane Torrent/Flame Ward for damage reduction. Arcane Torrebt was the best channeling skill by far.

Also try rolling life per hit on ur bracers… Lot of people really like that instad of vitality. So elemental damage, int, lph, and crit.

Also try out the Twister set too.

I’m trying to make a LoD build to avoid using DMO because I don’t want to be tied to slow time bubbles and it doesn’t leave room for all the legendary special items I like. I may plan a secondary on that anyway.

This wouldn’t be an issue if I wasn’t trying to maximize the uptime of Diamond Skin/Crystal Shell to keep Squirt’s Necklace up 100%. If there was just a better alternative for keeping that up then I would be set. I may just make another plan actually relying on both Hergbrash’s Binding and resource cost reduction to make Disintegrate free while spamming Energy Twister would cost less than my regen, or at least not be a resource issue.

I wonder if there is an alternative to Squirt’s Necklace that maybe isn’t as high a damage buff but still buffs damage in the jewelry? I could avoid the issue of it dropping then.
I still want to maintain Aquila’s Cuirass and not die. I don’t really like requiring the Unstable Anomaly passive.

Edit:
I really wish they would remove the “when hitting with a resource spending attack” part of Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac and just make it “when hitting with an attack” and/or bring back the wizard passive Critical Mass but nerf it to only reduce the cooldown of 1-2 spells by 1 second on critical hit. The problem with Critical Mas was “reduces all cooldowns” so it didn’t matter if you had a lot of cooldown skills while somehow Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac is much more reliably procced and yet is balanced and not worth removing since only reduces 1 random skill cooldown each time.

1 Like

Ohhhj gotcha. I was thinking ur making a regular LoD twister . Well if any class were to have a yet to be discovered LoD build… Wizard would be the 1. Besides the Necro, wiz seems to have the most useful legendaries in its arsenal. Barb really has crap… Monk has a few but they only seem to benefit WoL. LoD Gen Monk could be a possibility if there was a fist weapon(s) to equip that can rival the Shenlongs Set.

I attempted to plan a build with a “resource free” Disintegrate and accidentally got it down to 0.01 arcane power per second so that it is slightly cheaper overall than the above build but still triggers Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac(if it actually costs at 0.01 per second; will need to test). It actually has better cooldown reduction too and the wizard hat, instead of helm, has APoC. I did have to sacrifice damage somewhat though, but I should be able to pick that back up better with paragon points. I was concentrating on the cost and keeping life up and getting the shields good.
I could possibly drop some cooldown reduction for more damage if it recharges Diamond Skin quick enough also.

Here is the build: https://www.d3planner.com/745577658

I’m still open to options and am still going to see about the no-cost channeled skill option, but that option requires more cost reduction to the point of sacrificing damage and options also it seems.

By the way, where are the wizard Energy Twister builds? Are there any console specific ones floating around? Any LoN/LoD ones and not just DMO based? I really haven’t seen any recent ones with the options we have now and none was based on being as constant as possible.

Check out the seasonal LB on the wizards. Theres Chantodos, and LoD Twisters, and Reverse Archon Twisters if im not mistaken

Aquila does not drop for me in density. Once I get down to like 10 enemies then yes it does. I typically use just arcane torrent for the first few seconds to get a few twisters out proccing crit hits then start with the manual energy twisters. My crit is at 60%.
For solo, I don’t use squirts cuz I found it was impossible to maintain. I use FoT instead. I also use ice climbers to combat the gauntlets and illusory boots in cube.
It is closer to the traditional reverse archon twister. As I said, I like archon mainly for gathering density.

I refuse to use any variation using Archon. It just doesn’t work as well on console and only really works when building for Archon more than the other abilities. I have an Archon build which is my highest GR clear so far, but I don’t like it.

I don’t think I’ll have trouble maintaining Squirt’s Necklace, with this build or especially with my other Explosive Blast build. Flavor of Time definitely is not possible to maintain really considering I would need a pylon, which means getting to one in the first place.

I like not being controlled at all. I love the Invigorating Gemstone, even though I wish it had another buff rather than healing increase, something more noticeable and useful. I combine that with Illusory Boots to be able to be where I want at all times.

Your use of Archon may be ok, since it doesn’t care about the cooldown as much, but it would interfere with my shortening of Diamond Skin cooldown and I don’t really have room in my build for it.

Edit:
I’m really just planning multiple build focuses for different skills to “hedge my bets” and be able to run something good. I expect my Explosive Blast build to be the most sustainable and possibly the strongest, but it is the most difficult to gear for. This Energy Twister build just relies on resource cost reduction exclusively though, which makes it very easy to gear a basic version of it.
I’ll have some fun options if they all work, which I do plan to share with everyone here.