Having no personal loot is like giving away your wage to your colleagues on pay day

This comment and the previous comment both confuse the idea of personal loot as asked for by many players.

The loot in a multiplayer game is not :100: percent more loot per player, that is not how the drop table works.

FFA loot game and personal loot game would be the same total drops. The only difference is that with personal loot it is distributed evenly, on average.

There is no 8x loot to destroy the economy.

1 Like

The only news I can think of:

• Personal loot has already been thoroughly discussed.
  • It would be a big change to the core gameplay, which is not needed.

Oh and thanks for necroing this thread, it is one that I must have missed when I was going through and muting all threads related to personal loot.

1 Like

I disagree that adding an option for personal loot would be a core gameplay change.

That would still be a bad idea because most loot is totally useless. So who’s gonna get that HR or usefull item once it drops? Is it RNG? Will it go to the top dps’er or will it go to the leecher?

It’s quite funny to read people saying someone is taking “their loot” that they worked hard for. haha :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you thinking in terms of sort of where PoE went with their:

options > UI > Default Loot Allocation:

1. Free for All

2. Short Allocation

3. Permanent Allocation

The problem as I see it is PoE’s “Free for all” opens up some of the loot for everyone, but not all of it.

And the other Allocation which would be I get all the loot option is not completely that.

GGG realized the ‘loot’ option is a tricky subject.

D2 has always been true “Free for All” and the weaker players know they almost never get gg drops in multi game.

When I’m leveling and doing Chaos or Baal runs for XP, I do not expect to find gg drops.

I am there for the XP.

When I get to 70+ lvl wise then I can begin farming at a lower level getting drops which will enable me to eventually get to end game.

I know the tricks to do this.

I realize there are players that argue for personal loot because they believe it should be a true 1/8 per player in area, as that is equitable.

I agree that there is merit to your argument, but believe those games with leeches will proceed as they always have, with FFA loot enabled.

My argument stems from an anti cheat perspective, and as such if blizzard can combat pickit successfully, I could care less as I’ve always gotten more than my fair share of loot.

I doubt blizzard will be able to limit pickit, and as such I believe personal loot to be the best tool in their shop to dampen its effects.

Yeah, that’s not going to happen.

But I believe Blizzard is going to clamp down hard and account ban for any hacks at all playing D2R.

The problem with pickit is it only needs to be ‘active’ for a fraction of a second. I worry they are incapable of finding pickit users.

pro-tip, join public games, go hostile to everyone while you go kill stuff for gear. Voila, personal loot.

2 Likes

I’m not a proponent of personal loot because I worry how it will affect drop rates, but I did want to respond to this particular point:

When viewed with a long term lens, personal loot is far more equitable than FFA because even with RNG, you will eventually get the great item amongst the drops (this assumes personal loot is based on the same amount of loot that drops now, and then randomly distributed)

With FFA, the existent factors of personal interaction (not even bringing hacks into the equation) remove the random chance inherent in an automated distribution and will generally favor the players nearest the kill, and specifically the quick of hand.

Now I know that plenty of folks here will say they’ve never had a problem with FFA and it’s worked fine, and I’m not taking on that argument; their experiences are theirs. But the fact remains: personal loot as described above is more equitable in the long run because it removes the human element. It may be that many people who are pro FFA also happen to be really good at grabbing loot quickly, and thus have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

Many if the variant reasons I’ve seen for wanting FFA fall under similar arguments; I do all the work, everyone else is a leeching , etc. that’s a fair point, especially if you’re in a random and you quickly realize you’re carrying most of the weight. I think that is a good argument against, aside from my systemic concerns on drop rates.

Lastly, the one thing I think personal loot would prevent (if this is a big issue, I have no idea) is people turning their focus from killing the mobs to searching for loot, making the encounters harder than they need to be. I kind of see a scenario where a monster gets to 5% HP and all of a sudden everyone stops casting and stands on the boss waiting to snatch loot as he dies. With Ploot, it is much more efficient to kill faster since the worry about diving for the loot is removed.

And yet, all that wall of text said, I say, leave it alone. Because with personal loot, eventually people will be discouraged by the no drops and start complaining and before you know it, drop rates are increased and the loot hunt is trivialized. And that would kill the game for me.

what? you have money? and colleagues? on payday? your a lucky man ! :smiley:

No, it’s like a group of friends all hitting a piñata at the same time, and when it explodes, it’s a race to pick up the loot.

Don’t buy D2R if you don’t like a shared loot system. It’s simple… Or, if you want personal loot, play alone or play solo. You don’t have to play online in a shared game. That is what private games are for.

4 Likes

I actually agree with this sentiment, so long as Blizzard can keep pickit programs completely under control. The second pickit becomes a thing again…they will need to rethink their FFA loot system. It’s literally why you don’t see new games with FFA loot.

They did too, they have right to it just like you.

2 Likes

i like taking what others worked hard for :stuck_out_tongue:

but in all seriousness you are really looking at it the wrong way. personal loot would have a plethora of problems, and ninja looting should be expected when playing with randoms. believe it or not ninja looting is an essential part of the game.

1 Like

This is moronic, after watching people do countless Andy runs with /8 players, there would be like 30% of runs where literally 0 blues, rares, or uniques would even drop. Then the other 40% was usually 2-3 blues and rares. Essentially you will get items from a boss with personal loot every 3 runs and the item you get will most likely be garbage.

Please stop advocating for this nonsense, it won’t work in this game.

2 Likes

Why are people only talking about this in context to baal/andy runs or other grinding runs. When we already know personal runs are better to get gear in them. Second ok you don’t get a good item from baal, in baal run when personal loot is on, turn on FFA loot then if its not working for your baal runs or play solo. If people get mad at not getting much loot in instanced loot games they can always move to FFA loot games and try their chances. People will likely complain at the low drop rate anyways, but with it being optional during the creation of the game you can pick your poison.

Yea not happening !!

Nobody runs andy or countess with more than 1 player, and personal loot would use the same distance parameters that are already hard coded.

Your specific scenario would not be changed at all.