Hades acceptance reveals key points for Diablo 4

I did not get a notification. Could edit the first post again? I now replied to the first post directly.

Yes. Did you get one?

:confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball:

Nope. I wonder if it has to be “new” posts, since this forum update/glitchwent live.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Congrats on falling for the marketing.

GOTY are meaningless.

1 Like

Hades is more of a Rogue-like than an aRPG.
Checked on my Steam Library…

• Purchased - 17th September 2020
  • Last played - 4th February 2021
  • Time played - 20.3 hours

Couldn’t really get into it. Never escaped. Got little interest in returning to it.
Compare that against thousands of hours in D3.

I watched it on You Tube.

Is not my thing.

2 Likes

Hades took D3 GRs model and evolved it further, applying great randomness model on drops with simple as possible Math, and people loved it.

That’s what every aRPG should fully embrace - randomness and meaningful character/gear progression choices, just as stay as far as possible from unneeded complexity (see PoE).

I bought it, I played it and I didn’t love it. I played it for just over 20 hours, didn’t even escape, haven’t played it for over a month and am extremely unlikely to return to it as I have no desire to.

If every aRPG becomes like that, I guess I won’t be buying aRPGs any more.

2 Likes

The main reason I play aRPGs instead of pick-another-genre is the randomness aspect - making whatever you can with what is given to you by the RNG. If you remove this aspect then you practically remove the replayabilty since one playthrough will be enough.

Hades manages to absolutely deliver in that regard, raising the skill cap very high due to how the itemization is built. Decisions really matter in Hades. If the D4 itemization manages to be 50% as good as that of Hades, it would be a success.

Agreed.
But Diablo does not need to learn that from Hades. It is in its own DNA.
Yeah, it can also learn it from Hades, just no particular reason to move that far for the lesson.

Hades itemization and character building on the other hand, would be considered complete trash, for an A-RPG. Literally nothing to learn there.

This is what makes Hades special. It’s superb. Far better than any other aRPG itemization.

Hades is a completely different kind of game from Diablo.

3 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t have it’s D3 planner, which is something the D4 devs said they want in their game - to not have a planner users look the right answer at. If they manage to do this and bring the numbers to the level of Hades, then we’ll have as good D4 itemization.

I did not enjoy it, hence why I’ve only played it for 20 hours since September 2020.

I disagree.

It’s not an aRPG, it’s a Rogue-like / Rogue-light.

2 Likes

Hades itemization has way higher skill cap than any other aRPG itemization.

The game is certainly not for everyone, but from the user reviews at Steam you can see that the players are very satisfied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

The exact definition of a roguelike game remains a point of debate in the video game community. A “Berlin Interpretation” drafted in 2008 defined a number of high- and low-value factors that distinguished the “pure” roguelike games Rogue, NetHack and Angband from edge cases like Diablo. Since then, with more powerful home computers and gaming systems and the rapid growth of indie video game development, several new “roguelikes” have appeared, with some but not all of these high-value factors, nominally the use of procedural generation and permadeath, while often incorporating other gameplay genres, thematic elements, and graphical styles; common examples of these include Spelunky, FTL: Faster Than Light, The Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire and Hades. To distinguish these from traditional roguelikes, such games may be referred to as “rogue-lite”, “roguelike-likes”, or “procedural death labyrinths”.

2 Likes

Comparing Hades to Diablo is like comparing Doom to Borderlands. Sure they are both FPS games but that is where the similarity ends.

4 Likes

That is a good example.

Another appropriate one in the context here would be comparing Diablo and Cyberpunk :joy:

Hades evolved D3. It’s a step higher mechanics wise, itemization included. D4 should learn from it and see the direction Hades devs are marking with their game. That’s the future of aRPGs - complete randomization in every aspect delivering maximum replayability.

Doom, Borderlands, Cyberpunk - they too should learn from Hades.

I think at this point I can only assume you are trolling.

2 Likes