Greater Rift MUCH Easier than Rift?

WIZARD, Paragon 173 (seasonal). I’m not new to Diablo III at all, but do not play much and yeah, I’m not what you call your uber-D3 player.

But I’ll be darned if I remember this happening… I played a standard RIFT yesterday on Torment 5 and almost had my tail handed to me. I got through it and was considering dialing it back down to T4, but didn’t. Today, without changing anything, I decided to do an empowered greater rift and I wiped everything with barely a disintegrate throw. It was like EASY MODE! I had to check for sure that I was still in Torment 5! So I just figured that my last session where I made a lot of changes did not register in stats with the D3 servers and was encouraged. So then I went after a standard Rift just to see, and it was hard again.

So what gives? Are greater empowered rifts easier now for some reason?

And no… I’m not high. =)

Monsters and maps can vary. No two Rifts are the same and you don’t have to stop and pick things up in a GR.
Rifts, in general, seem to be about 1-2 GRs harder than what the drop down shows as equivalent GR.

Difficulty levels are irrelevant for GRs. The only thing that matters is the GR level. You likely just ran a very low level GR.

In other words, a level 1 GR is going to be a level 1 GR regardless of whether you are on Normal or T16 difficulty.

Game Difficulty and Greater Rift Level are two totally different things.

You ran a Nephalem Rift on Torment V (T5) Game Difficulty and you say it was easy.

You ran a Greater Rift and said you almost had your tail handed to you. But, you did not say what Greater Rift Level you were on. If you ran a Greater Rift Level 45, that would be the equivalent of running a Nephalem Rift on Torment X (T10) Game Difficulty.

When you click on the Nephalem Obelisk in town and select Greater Rift, click the drop-down list to select the Greater Rift Level you wish to run. (You DO NOT have to change Game Difficulty to do this).

Empowering a GR does not affect its difficulty in any way.

1 Like

He said opposite. That could be because Neph rift is more difficult than equivalent GR level listed in drop down menu. GR22 in drop down menu is listed as Torment 5 but its actual difficulty is closer to T4 nephalem rift. GR24 would be around T5 rift difficulty. Sorry, can’t test right now because my TV refuses to stay on longer than 1s.

But you’re correct, he didn’t mention what GR level he did.

2 Likes

You are correct. I misread the OP.