Getting D3D error at startup

OK, I’m late to the game when it comes to D3. I just picked it up about a month ago and I’ve been having a blast with it. My issue is that, ever since installing the game, I’ve always gotten a D3D error at startup. The game runs fine after clicking OK and it hasn’t really hindered me in any way that I can see, but it’s sort of annoying. At startup I get an error box that says Diablo III was unable to initialize D3D. Click OK to retry. Upon clicking OK, the game seems to run just fine. It has done this since the beginning, every single time, without fail.

I tried to attach my DxDiag file text below but it said I use too many characters.

Hi,

There is some troubleshooting that you can attempt to fix the error here:

If you have already done all that, or if the error is still coming up, please provide the DxDiag by:

• uploading it – select entire text in dxdiag.txt, copy it to windows clipboard and paste it to – pastebin.com
  • putting the pastebin link in your reply – the link will have this form: https://pastebin.com/NnPijRy9

If you get an error that you cannot post a link, you will need to convert the link to preformatted text by highlighting the entire link in your post and clicking on the </> button on the formatting bar at the top of the composition window.

1 Like

Try switching to windowed fullscreen.

Alternatively, make sure to click on the D3 logo that pops up when the game starts to load.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, nothing helped. I’m running the most recent Nvidia drivers, resetting in-game settings didn’t help, and my system specs blow D3’s system requirements out of the water. This is the only title I have any issues whatsoever with. Here is my DxDiag data.

https://pastebin.com/jgfQJ0n4

I sometimes get a D3D error on startup, but only the first time that I start the game on a given day. I think that mine is caused by my anti-virus software scanning the executable before allowing it to continue, and that delay causes the game to generate the error. If I just wait about 5 - 10 seconds after getting the “click OK to retry” message, everything continues normally. I’ve never gotten a D3D error on subsequent game starts.

Yeah, mine is every single time I start the game, whether I start it once a day or twenty times. Actually, I’ve never not received the error at startup. As I said though, if I click OK, the game starts and appears to run normally. It’s just annoying is all.

Just click the box it will load

Like I said, I do, and it does. It’s just as annoying as heck. Which makes the error all that more hard to understand, since there appears to be no real problem.

it happens every so often with me. i havent done any indepth investigating other to assume its some driver or overlay issue. If its super-duper-annoying you can try getting the game in windowed mode. I dont think it would happen if it loaded in a window.