Gears of the Dreadlands and DH skill feedback

I’ve got 2 major notes for the new DH set

1.Momentum falls off to fast, when you strafe for just a few seconds you’re already losing multiple stacks, you seem to lose the first stack almost instantly, and it keeps going down from there.

Suggestion: Double the duration of momentum stacks, or possibly while at 10 stacks, just the first stack takes twice as long to fall off, then the rest fall off normally.

I thought about Strafe auto-primary shooting just refreshing Momentum, but I feel like that changes the playstyle to much, rather than improving it. A longer momentum buff would let us not be instantly punished by short bursts of strafe, and there would be a bigger damage window, but still maintain it as a damage ‘window’ rather than turning it into strafe 100% of the time, which would lose the juggling gameplay.

2.This one is hard to explain, but Bolas explosion animation and sound (and possibly damage?) seems oddly clipped when used with Leonine Bow of Hashirs’ instant vacuum, in a way separate from the other primary/strafe interactions. I’m not sure how to explain this perfectly or if this is an attack speed problem with strafe or if it actually effects damage done or just feels like it does, but it doesn’t feel finished or it might be better to say it doesn’t feel ‘fluid’ like the other four do.

PS:
3.There needs to be some sort of visual indicator for the 4p 60% damage reduction buff.

1 Like

I agree with the duration. I think the idea of the set is fine…once the bugs are fixed but it needs to be smoother. My rough changes when doubling the duration would be as follows:

2-Piece Bonus: Gain a Momentum stack when attacking with a Primary skill. Each Momentum stack lasts 4 seconds at a maximum duration of 20 seconds. Your Primary skills deal 8% more damage per stack of Momentum.

4-Piece Bonus: Casting Strafe against enemies will automatically shoot your last used primary skill, and also give 60% damage reduction while strafing and for 5 seconds after. While casting Strafe, you move faster and gain 1% damage reduction per stack of Momentum.

6-Piece Bonus: Your primary skills deal 20000% more damage. Additionally, your primary skills deal 1000% more damage for every stack of Momentum.

The values could be changed of course based on whatever fixes and etc they do and I don’t know if the amounts I put are enough or too much. Basically, I am trying to make it like a burst build, where you stack your Momentum to get really high damage/defense for a few seconds then it slowly drops to a baseline level until you stop and reset.

1 Like

I agree with most of your observations, but I’d like your refined thoughts on the strafing primaries refreshing momentum. I agree that, as is, this change would change the play style. There seems to be a significant portion player base that were actively expecting exactly that from this set. To be completely transparent, I was in fact once of those people. There seems to be confusion among some as to if this stop/start style of using strafe was even the intention of this in the first place considering that almost universally every tester has agreed that momentum is not working well as is. One person even pointed out that is exactly contrary to the definition of “momentum” in the first place (apologies that I forgot who posted that). So by your understanding, this set should be promoting a stand still to DPS and strafe to up DR and mobility when necessary or move on from pack to pack then?

I was one of those people that was expecting this to be a DH version of Whirlrend as well.

I would certainly very much enjoy playing the build if that’s the route they go with it.

In fact, it would open up more channeling gems/items. At the moment it’s "do i try to build around channeling or around standing still shooting. Since you spend about 2/3rds of the time shooting, and 1/3rd of the time repositioning with a short strafe channel burst.

As for why, I tried to limit my feedback to smaller ‘true upgrade’ type things that I view as -needing- to happen. To me a damage increase seems needed as well, but there were already posts talking about that.