Gargantuan element damage with Spite Mojo

Normally people take “Restless giant” rune with the Spite mojo. However, I’ve noticed very strange behaviour with this setup. Restless giant rune has physical attribute - that means one should aim to roll +phys skill damage on gear. But I can clearly see that with +phys damage proc from 4-elemen ring Gargantuans don’t hit harder BUT they hit harder with +cold damage proc. I can’t be wrong, I checked this plenty of times.

Does it mean that with Spite Mojo Gargantuan skill gains bonus damage from Cold element no matter what skill rune has been choosen?

p.s. I even rerolled my bracers from +phys to +cold damage and the damage boost was very easy to notice.

updated.
It seems I’m not the only one who noticed it. This guy is top 28 EU in 19 season - /en/profile/Neros-21951/hero/127054684 (can’t post link to eu . diablo3 . com/ ) He has +cold damage roll on bracers

I have same question. Is it for real that no one knows the answer till these days?

Please read carefully the power of Spite

Non-cleaving Gargantuans gain the cleave and chilling effects of the Humongoid rune.

It doesn’t gain you the rune, but only the cleave and chilling effect. So it doesn’t change the element type.

Unfortunately, many things in Diablo 3 do not work as they are described. Some people said that Spite actually changes element of the gargantruan skill.

Haven’t found the answer, I implemented my own testing. I’ve selected Restless Giant rune for gargantuen and equipped Spite mojo, CoE ring and level 17 yellow weapon.

Red damage numbers popping out were the following.

Non enraged gargantuan, CoE fire/phys/poison: 15m
Enraged gargantuan, CoE fire/phys/poison: 45m
Non enraged gargantuan, CoE cold: 45m
Enraged gargantuan, CoE cold: 135m

It’s not hard to see that despite Restless Giant rune having physical damage type, the actual damage of Gargantuan is being buffed during the CoE Cold cycle only. That means that the Spite mojo does change the element of the skill without mentioning it on the item card.

1 Like

d3planner shows that Restless+Spite should be Physcial.
Your test result indicates that it could be Cold which is out of my expectation. I’d say that it is a bug then.

Yes, I also checked in d3planner first, but decided to do field testing to be 100% sure. And I was shocked by results, now I need to make changes into the build and farm some new gear.

I am okay with the damage type changed to cold and don’t want this to be changed)) Because this way I can use Iceblink or Frostburn, and they also proc Bane of the Trapped. Physical element is quite bad for Gargantuan.

They really have to add this info to the item card though.

1 Like