Game reboots my entire PC after loading screen finishes when making a character

I have gone through a lot of steps to pin point what the error is. I am on an older i7 6850 w/32gb of memory and a brand new red devil 6900xt card. I only use this system for VR mostly and wanted to play D2R on it. BUT I cannot get the game to load INTO the game itself, only the start menu/char creation screens.

I have done the obvious things of updating all my drivers, updating windows, disabling startup software, etc. Then I tried creating a new local user on my PC - and suddenly I could create a character and load into town! I “exited” the game (back to main menu) and tried again - success! I repeated this about four more times I think. Worked every single time. So I closed D2R and blamed my domain GPOs. I did a lot more testing and what I’ve found out is that after my initial launch of the game - it no longer works and instead reboots my entire PC after the loading screen finishes it’s animation and before the town appears.

I created multiple new domain and local users and the tests were the same every single time. New user - initial launch - loads into town and I can play without fault. Reload D2R with same user, and create a new or load an existing user fails after the loading screen finishes before the town appears. Every. Single. Time.

I have another laptop with an eGPU and a 5700xt I used to actually play the game but I wanted to leave this here for Blizzard to troubleshoot and work out the bugs so when I buy it and it gets released I’m not faced with this issue. :slight_smile:

When I say it crashes I’m not referring to the game crashing, I mean my screen goes black, my PC beeps like I just turned it on, and it reboots. There isn’t even a BSOD. It’s an absolute crash. No minidump files to analyze. No event viewer logs to go through other than “Your PC was shutdown improperly”…

If anyone has any ideas - I’d be happy to try things out while we still can.

1 Like

After finally getting the game to start up, I’m getting this pc-resetting crash randomly while playing. Haven’t gone further than 5 minutes into game.

2 Likes

Could this be the latest AMD video drivers doing this? Do you have an AMD 6900xt by chance? Just trying to determine what could be at fault here…

I have HD 7870 with latest drivers. When my PC resets it’s only windows, it’s not a hard reset, as in I get the blue screen with spinning dots as windows nicely tells me it’s resetting.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that screen before… :flushed:

I ran it on a 15-9600k CPU & a Sapphire Rx-570 4gb and with the latest driver. It ran fine with no crashes or any thing else.

Thank you @BigRed for confirming the drivers are probably not the problem. I just built a new AMD 5800x system since I thought it was the motherboard on my old system that was at fault… the power supply and video card were brought to the new system since they are both brand new.

PSU: Enermax Revolution DF ERF850EWT 80+ Gold 850W

I have run benchmarks on this system and tortured it for the past 36 hours without any hiccups at all. Not only is it stable but I’m really impressed with AMD finally. :slight_smile:

However, I am still not able to run the game - the same thing happens after the loading screen finishes, right before I would appear in town, my PC completely shuts off. I have the motherboard set to stay off in loss of power. But I’ve tried two different PSU’s and this one I’m using is only 30 days old or so - I bought it with my 6900xt. I’m really thinking that the 6900xt is the cause here, but with GPUs in short supply I can’t just throw in another to test things out.

The system works in every other game I’ve tried to play without any issues, it’s JUST D2R that makes it crash, and I mean, simply turn itself off. No error logs, no BSOD, nothing - just .

Also a note: This is a brand new install of windows on the new system and the folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\BlizzardError\ doesn’t even exist… it doesn’t have a chance to even write an error - it just suddenly is completely off.

UPDATE:
I figured out the problem. I needed to use three separate power cables for my Red Devil 6900xt. I was using two cables, one of which had an extension for a second port. After switching to three independent cables, the game no longer crashes. Strange that no other games crashed my system - even heavy VR titles like HL Alyx - but D2R did! :slight_smile:

I hope this helps anyone in the future.

Thanks!

1 Like