Game not installed correctly

I purchased Diablo III Battle chest from my local store I get messages saying i need to upgrade then when I try I get error messages . If I try to upgrade through the link it says I must purchase Diablo 3 first. I have the discs for Diablo III and the Reaper of Souls

Pls do not use the disks… they will contain an outdated version of the game.

The usual way of installing Diablo III is shown in this Support article:

Also, if you haven’t activated the key codes for Diablo III, you will need to do that too:
https://account.blizzard.com/overview

I should add i get error code 30016 One thing I did notice when I installed it did not ask for a authentication key. Note another family member can log into their account on this install and play it no problem. It is almost like my account is running a demo or starter version

As Boubou said, you need to redeem the key to unlock full content, otherwise it stays at Starter Edition. The authentication key is somewhere on the booklet or DVD envelope, printed on a sticker.

I have the authentication key there was no prompts to input. I will try another install

In addition to reinstall the launcher and game, as mentioned by Boubou, you need to redeem the key, bind it to your account. Otherwise, the game will always locked at Starter.

In the upper-right corner of this website, it should display your user name. Click on that and click Account Settings. It will open to your account, and there you can redeem your game code.

Thank you, turned out to be user error,I was putting in the - symbol separating the authentication keys and it wasn’t needed.

Glad to see you sorted it out! Enjoy the game and happy hunting!