Game kept on crashing with patch 2.6.10

Wanted to report that a new patch was rolled out today to address the crash issues mentioned here. The patch has been applied to PC/Mac and currently in process for consoles. I’ll chime in again regarding any console dates/times as I get updates from the dev team.

HUGE thanks to you all for sharing your findings and the details for us to catch/fix. If issues happen to persist for any PC/Mac players please drop us a line.

5 Likes

So months and still no fmodex64.dll crash fix?

I’ll head straight to Belial and Tyrael after the EU servers come back up.

[ EDIT ]

Ran from waypoint to Belial’s doorway three times, no crash.
Ran to see Tyrael in Chapter IV, first quest, no crash.
So, it seems promising.

2 Likes

can you fix fmod now?

2 Likes

i am writing this AFTER i d/l a small patch today (19.11.2020). so the patch did not fix it for or even cause it, since i didnt have this problem before.

came here b/c i had the same issue. got new gaming rig, transferred d3 and was getting ready for the new season. played a lot during s20, and several seasons before. diablo 3 did indeed crash sometimes, but it was very rare. yesterday i sorted through my 350 mailed items for some hours - no problem. even played witch each of my old chars for a few mins. today loggin on sitting in town, np. but when i wanted to cruz with my necro in ACT 4 (lower fate) the game did crash about after 10 seconds. i repeated this for 3-4 times. and it always crashed shortly after arriving at the wp and starting using skills on enemies (i didnt test simply waiting there). never had such issues before. then i switched to my barb, changed difficulty, act, and changed back, changed gfk settings and then no crash anymore. so donno what exactly the cause was. but it was pretty consistent those 3-4 times.
some things i also noticed:
-despite having an uber system ingame was showing ~30fps, but playing around the gfx settings without changing anything reset it to 60 (vsync)
-this is prolly worth another topic, BUT i noticed on 2 different PCs that d3 has problems when installed in “c:/programs (x86)/diablo III” - actually it would not even log in, immediately it crashes. but when moving it outside the “programs” folder it works. whats that about??

Just curious. Did you move the D3 installation to a different folder on the same drive? Or did you move it to a folder on a different drive?

on this machine i only have a c drive (nvme pcie 3.0).
folder is now “c:/blizz/diablo 3” on old machine i think i had it on another drive aswell and also problems, why i either used c:/diablo3 or e:/diablo3. both worked, was only a space issue.
what’s noticable tho, when i launched the battle.net launcher app in ADMIN MODE then it was actually able to launch d3 from the programs folder yesterday with no problem. i only changed it back today after the series of new crashes during gameplay, just to exclude the chance that it has sth todo with it. the folder problem however did always cause immediate crash without seeing anything from the game right away (when it did)

yes.
first i game did not even start, immediate crash when in pfx86. with admin priv, it launched. as i sais, i has previously issues with that, so on antother machine i simply did not use any pf folder at all.
but u are right, those crashes happened while still using the pfx86 folder, with admin launcher. guess can try moving it back to look if it crashes again.
this issue is already pretty old, so why is it still there?
also, why are the 64bit binaries in the same folder tree as the x86 and get consequently installed in x86 by default???
test for users with crashes: move folder or try 32bit version (toggle in option in the launcher)

If non-program folder works, stay there.
The program folder(s) belongs to system and may need higher privilege (e.g. admin role) to write files.
Another folder one should avoid is the root folder C:\

I tried a temporary workaround by running D3 in windowed mode and it didn’t crash.

My game is installed on separate physical drives.

guess u r right, i will keep it like this. it still feels like diabolic magic. since the folder is specifically designed to be the one folder in the OS for programs to be installed and especially the launcher targets this as default (so devs mean to use it?!

i did the same in an desperate attempt to find a workaround, along other things, so maybe this could help. at least atm i dont have the bug anymore.

All along my game have been installed on separate drives. Definitely there’s some bug in this patch since console players also reporting getting crashes so can ruled out the following:

-Drivers issues
-Separate folders
-32/64bit
-Reinstall
-Antivirus software conflict

Workarounds that worked:
-Running in Windowed Mode

Try posting the Console info in the Console section of your forums? Just saying…

1 Like

Girlfriend was crashing at crystal arch, had her go kill diablo in adventure mode, then went back to campaign with no crashes.

Patch has been released to all consoled which should fix the crash issues. We are working on the Nintendo Switch patch now and expect this to be patched the week of 11/23. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Can you please confirm the status of Season 22 for Switch? I know what you have said was regarding the patch, but was not explicitly cited that such affects the start of season 22 on Switch.

This latest patch fixed it. No crash in Act V.

I am so tired of blizzard and diablo 3 atm, season 21 freezelag issue all the way tryin to fix it. Finally, done. Start season 22, oh yeah lets remember to screw people up in diablo again so we can say its their computers or drivers that are wrong again. Maybe answer everyone with send dxdiag and we see.
Maybe blizzard its time for you to actully do something for once in a while and not just say that its our things. Well it isnt when 5-10-15 % of the player have it, then its on you! We are the reason you get paid, so start acting after your costumers instead of eating pizza all day.

hi,

The same I still have the game which crashes randomly in bounties / gr / rifts since 2.6.10.

What about servers with a latency of +1000 ms in each pack is unplayable.

The servers are located on the moon or whatever.
It’s a shame that every season players have to endure these recurring problems.