Game doesn't start

Got the mail, Installed alpha client on game dedicated SSD.

Any time I click play, a black window shows up in windowed fullscreen briefly, then closes itself, no error message, and launcher button revert from “game started” to “Play”.

It’s the first time any blizzard game doesn’t work for me, I couldn’t find any info on how to solve this, found a couple people with the same issue on reddit though.

I tried a lot of common procedures :

• verified/repaired files
  • tried to set game.exe as admin/compat
  • unplugged unnecessary devices
  • disabled AV
  • disabled any overlay (afterburner/nvidia share …)
  • updated video drivers
  • closed any other app
  • tried some command-line arguments separately (-windowed/ -nosound/ -dx9/ -dx11)

I’m running about absolutely any other game perfectly fine, be it a blizzard game or not, except … for win10 only games.
I’m running win7 because my system SSD is 60GB, which probably can’t run win10 without space issues.

Does the game REQUIRE win 10, or should it run fine on 7 and the problem lies somewhere else ?

Just in case here’s a DxDiag : DxDiag - Pastebin.com

4 Likes

Exact same issue here bud!
My drivers are up to date, I’ve tried the repair future (no problems found by the program), tried running in different regions (Americas, Europe, Asia), tried the -window command, running as administrator, and tried unplugging my second monitor, as well as rebooting PC but the problem persists. I never have problems running any games and the setup is decent.

p.s. im on win 7

If the common factor on the issue is win7, then win10 is probably required. :confused:
Changing my system/hardware isn’t in my priorities, so that’s it for me I guess.

yeah, i’ve just googled and according to a ‘can you run it’ website i am lacking windows 10 in order to run it. lucky i didn’t pre-purchase :smiley:

I have Windows 10 and same thing happens. Brief window opens then closes again. No error messages.

Going to double check for Windows 10 updates and try again.

5 Likes

Yeah same here… installed, but when I launch the game it gets past the first few splash screens and then exits.

2 Likes

Ok, for me Windows 10 update resolved it. :tada: I had to install D2R on a desktop I have not used before and it was a wee bit behind.

This is more likely to be related to either graphics driver issues OR software compatibility.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem. Yes, I’m still on Windows 7. The Shadowlands alpha/beta had similar problems when they first put it out. Seems like Win7 is on Blizzard’s backburner for support now. I get it. But I don’t have to like it.

Microsoft has discontinued support for it, quite some time ago. This is a new iteration of a Blizz game on a new engine so it does not run on old OS that MS won’t support anymore.

As an aside - I also can say that running it on a graphics card that is not in the list is …not ideal. I got mine to start on a GTX M650 but even the opening screen was all kinds of delayed graphics.

1 Like

I have WIN 10 fully updated and am still getting crash as soon as game window appears.

Any other ideas how to work through this?

1 Like

Try the other two options in my previous post about updating Windows, Vid drivers. Then if that does not work do the steps to make sure you stop other programs from running.

The most common cause for instant close is OS related.

Crashes once it actually shows is driver, overlay, or other software (usually).

yeah I’ve got all programs shut down, I’ve gone through a few different video drivers, updated system drivers, updated Win 10 completely… bummer, was really looking forward to this opportunity after about a 12 year hiatus.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
Exactly the same trouble for me.
On my desktop i7-7700K / RAM:16Go / GTX 1070 driver 465.89
Windows 10 ver. 2004 (fully update) after update to ver. 20H2
And all other progs are closed
Still no change… instant close

PS : I just tried on my laptop i5-8300H / RAM 8Go / GTX 1050 driver 451.67
Windows 10 ver. 2004 (fully update)
And it works on my laptop…

1 Like

same problem, nothing helps, all drivers up to date

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

1 Like

Same. Windows 10 Pro updated Version 10.0.21354 Build 21354 (maybe too updated?), Hardware i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 32 GM RAM on Gigabyte AORUS Master MB. Latest video drivers NVIDIA 465.89 and RTX 3080. Nothing else running.

I’m on Windows 8.1 and it is still crashing for me on launch. Just a brief black screen.

Intel i7 4771, 32gb RAM, GTX 1070. Latest drivers. If this is a Windows 10 only game, probably the stupidest decision for blizzard ever. No way in H311 I’m gonna install that garbage.

This is indeed why you are having issues. The minimum requirement is Windows 10 - updated to current patch.

I click start game it goes full screen but just black then instantly closes it’s self. I’m guessing it’s because of video even though I’m able to run d3 and wow. Windows 10 and everything up to date. System specs below:

Device name DESKTOP-9MU7218
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 2F8001CB-5553-403A-A0C5-B99D44E93ABE
Product ID 00325-96705-02566-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
2 Likes

Does everyone with win10 that is having issues uses a 64-bit version? Under the requirements I’ve noticed 64-bit being the minimum required. Perhaps that could be the reason it won’t run for some of you as well. But if you running more then 4 gigs of ram you should be on 64-bit.

Yes. 64-bit version of Windows here.