Game crashing at startup

I click launch, the initial loading symbol appears on my desktop, then when it loads to fullscreen with a white background, windows says ‘Diablo 3 Retail has encountered a problem and must close’.

After that I can wait for as long as I want and nothing else changes, it only gives me the option to debug (which doesn’t open anything) or close, which takes me to desktop.

I have tried:

• Running as admin
  • Updating drivers
  • Restarting computer and the Blizzard launcher
  • Changing install drive
  • Scan and repair
  • Delete the battlenet and blizzard enteratinment caches in Program Files
  • Reset in game options

I haven’t played since the launcher got updated to the new look, and have also installed new RAM in my PC but every other game I have or had previously had installed works fine.

I’m now doing a full download reinstall to see if that works.

2 Likes

Hey Terrorbyte,

If the full reinstall does not fix the issue let’s grab the most recent error log and your DxDiag see what may be going on.

To add it to your reply here:

Open the text file and copy all of the text.
Paste the text in your reply.
Highlight all of the text and click </> on the post editor.

Note: If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can break it up into two posts, or post it on Pastebin and provide the numbers/letters after the .com in your reply.

You are going to do the same thing with the error log.

1 Like

crashed 4x today … I almost gave up. In 5 attempts, the game worked.

hello, i have had issues with the launcher all day, i have tried it all, install and re install and debug fix or whatever is called and still got the same issue, i have the game on my laptop and its now working but on the desk pc is no way is letting me play, all my other blizzard games work normally is only diablo thats giving me issues… help plx

2 Likes

Same here, same issue crashed every time.

Same issue it starts I get the D3 symbol up and either black screen for a few seconds and crash or a white screen a few seconds then crash.

Same problem, All day. drivers up to date, game has previously worked, tried pretty much everything. scrubbed all D3 from my pc and reinstalled. just gives the same error and gives 0 feedback on how to solve.

a new day… crashing again… another problem to the list of D3 problem with no solution… I hope D4 dosent take this way…

Everyday the same problem… today, crashed 2x… i will replay eveyday until this get fixed… probably i will die replaying this topic… :-/

Hey there,

A common cause of this issue is related to background software. I might suggest going over this thread if you have used Razer products in the life of this computer. If you haven’t already please also try the steps listed by Terrorbyte and Zayssie earlier in this thread.

If the crashing continues beyond that lets go ahead and grab a DxDiag so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

Another day, another crash … like I said, I’ll post it here every time I crash. 4x today and suddenly the crashes stop! It is obvious that the problem is in the game … because if it were on my computer, it would crash all the time, not just a few times at the beginning of the daily gameplay.