Frustration of blowing through Bounties to get Ancients

So after multiple attempts to get an Ancient Cesar’s Memento, I get one and it is not as good as the non ancient Legendary.

For example the item specific stat that says Enemies take 600% increased damage on the Ancient and 776% increased damage on the non ancient. You would think that minimally the Ancient item would always get closer to the max of the item specific stat. It would be silly to replace the item with an ancient that does 176% less damage. Grinding for materials for crafting is frustrating enough without that bit of randomness.

Only if you don’t know what ancients are.

I am not sure what you are getting at. What does that mean?

It’s just RNG being RNG. I’ve found several Flavor of Time necks that are ancient that aren’t anywhere near as good as my normal one.

You really need to plan on getting around 10 Ancient versions of most items in order to get a good one. Probably more like 25 for most amulets due to the need for correct elemental damage and stuff like double crit affixes. (Or 50+ if it’s a Hellfire Amulet, sigh).

There are (or were) a lot of people who “no life” D3 and play 40 hours a week, so they set up a drop system that keeps those high level players from being perfectly equipped three weeks into a season. The only point in playing is to get better gear, so they have to make it challenging. This can make it frustrating for people who aren’t counting their Death Breaths by the thousand.

Remember, on average, you find 10 regular versions of each Legendary for each Ancient version you find. Obviously, you only cherry-pick the very best of all those regular Legendaries. It’s not surprising that the 1 best Legendary you choose to use (out of several you have found) has better affixes than any single Ancient you run across.

That is a good answer, but I still say that as the system setup to from regular items, to Legendary to Ancient and to Primal, that generally there should not be a situation where a lower grade item has better stats than a higher grade item. This makes the game really tedious for those that do not play the game 24/7.