Frenzy question/help

I’m pushing frenzy this season and am stuck on 139. I’m around 127 on the USA H90 leaderboards.
Since our mobility is higher this season can I swap out furious charge for wrenching smash? Seems like grouping stuff up for more area damage/bloodshed is better.
It also stuns which helps with the double dmg effect.
Is there something I’m missing on how to play? seems like my gear and skill I should be able to do higher than 139.

Just a quick glance at your gear and paragon. I think you are doing pretty good.
My observations are that you are missing damage on almost every slot and some
are big misses. Then you have zero augments and are about 1600 paragon. If your looking
for a quick fix go run 13 ENs then augment every piece of gear you got. Should get you at least 2 levels worth of damage. Other then that farm more paragon.

I would not use Wrenching Smash. Grouping mobs actually helps very little with this build, plus every time you knockback mobs they gain 40% CC resist, meaning much less time you can keep them stunned/feared/frozen.

If you want to use Stomp, just use the rune that pops out health globes, for a little extra healing. Personally I would stick to Charge though.

Alright @rage. Switched to charge and beat a 140 on the first try. STill don’t understand how grouping stuff together with wrenching smash deals less damage than pointless charging around solely to proc band of might.
Think I can do a 144ish with this gear/paragon with enough luck.

Well…

First, remember that your total damage with Frenzy is, essentially, constant. It doesn’t go up or down as you group (or scatter) mobs.

Imagine that hitting a mob with Frenzy, without Bastion’s Revered, does 100 damage. Bastion’s then creates that chain that “hits an extra time per stack of Frenzy”. In other words, the chain then does 1000 damage. And that chain damage gets split up among all the mobs within 15 yards of you. But the total damage is always going to be 1100.

10 mobs around you: mob 1 takes 100 damage from direct Frenzy, 100 damage from chain, all other mobs take 100 from chain. Total = 1100.

20 mobs around you: mob 1 takes 100 damage from direct Frenzy, 50 damage from chain, all other mobs take 50 from chain. Total = 1100.

1 mob around you: mob 1 takes 100 damage from direct Frenzy, 1000 damage from chain. Total = 1100.

That’s why you kill single targets so fast with this build: because all your damage is focused into a single intense point, whereas when fighting in density it gets spread out all over the place.

And because your base damage is basically constant, that means damage dealt by AD and Bloodshed is basically constant too, and doesn’t scale up in density.

So, the second thing is that pulling in the mobs with Wrenching Smash immediately gives every mob you hit 40% more CC resist. And, assuming you’re doing that pretty frequently, at least once every 8 seconds to proc BoM, those mobs are going to spend a good bit less time being stunned or frozen, meaning less damage bonus from your H90 two-piece. Off the top of my head, it’ll probably cut the uptime down from 20-25% to maybe 15%, costing you maybe 5-8% damage.

As for how Charge can add damage: well, for one thing, the Charge animation is really short if you don’t move far, so that cuts out less frames when you could be attacking than if you Stomp, which has a slightly longer animation. For another, it lets you quickly reposition into an Oculus/Triune ring.

If you do want to use Wrenching Smash some more, here’s something you may want to try: swap Azurewrath → Echoing Fury. With this setup, the Stun from Stomp is quite helpful because it prevents mobs Feared by EF from running away. Plus, if you can assemble a dense enough blob of foes, the outer ring of mobs won’t get Feared (because they’ll be beyond the 15 yard range of the Bastion’s chain), and they’ll pin any Feared mobs in place. I’ve really come around on EF lately, all of my highest H90 clears have come using that weapon. Might be worth a shot.

1 Like

Alright that was the info I was missing. Thanks for the explanation. I’ll see if I can get a good EF to test it out but my azurewrath is P good.

Ground stomp is nice to proc double damage. Its good inseason because you can time red circles & power potions.

If you like the hota playstyle just sub frenzy & you can use almost the same keystrokes.

Looks like all the top builds are using leap/iron impact.
Question on damage from bastions reverred:
Is the damage calculated based off the hard number of what I’m attacking?
For instance: If I attack an elite with +45% elite damage, is the 10 procs from bastions going to do 45% more damage?
Same would be applied if I’m dealing double damage to stunned/frozen mobs. If they take double while stunned is the bastions dealing double?
If so I’d imagine it would be advantageous to switch targets once something is immune to stun/frozen right?

Only if there are no other enemies around. Each hit of the chain rolls independently, so if there are 10 mobs around you, 3 blues (elite) and 7 trash (non-elite), each of those blues would take 45% more damage in your example, and each trash mob would not take any extra damage. Same goes for frozen/stunned- that’s also rolled independently for each hit from the chain.

Alright I switched over to aughilds and from charge > leap iron impact. The animation on leap is a bit annoying compared to charge but the defense boost is pretty huge.
Beat a 140 first try with no conduit. Easily capable of 144 with some fishing at my current gear/paragon. Still using a sh*tty azurewrath I should probably work on getting something better there first.

Do keep in mind that the only good reason to use Leap:II is to then set up the combo of running either Guardian or Aughild (Guardian almost certainly preferable) plus CoE, i.e. no Band of Might. Without that extra dps from CoE, you’re just throwing away damage because of the very long Leap animation, which you mention.

By the way:

Huh?