For these reasons, there will never be personal loot in D2R

It’s easy why this game will never have a personal loot.

1- to avoid farm abuse:
If we have personal loot that means that someone can abuse the loot system making 2-8 accounts and farm alone. (this will be worse with bots)

2- The way the game decide the item:
what MF will count to the kill? the killer? or individual, anyway that doesn’t matter. the engine of the game don’t permit personal loot without remake the full code of the game.

The game decide the item based on the quantity of people in the room and throw more or less items/runes depending the quantity of people PLUS the quality of item it’s based on a formula where the item that drops it’s rolled X times to decide if it will be gol/rune/white/set etc… and after these roll it will use the “best quality” so it can roll 3 times where in one roll “white item” and the other two roll “set item” and the final drop will be ONE set item.

no matter how many times you beg for it
no matter how many you wish it
the game is not made for personal loot, it’s not posible without make the full code of the game again and the most important TO MAKE a new code and formula for drop system.

remake new code of drop isn’t that simple as i delete X thing and write another and GG i have new drop system… nope! you need to make it from 0 again to fit everything, but not only that, you will need to make a new server system that handle 1 to 8 “invisible” instances to be able to show diferent items in the ground for personal loots.
Thing that in diablo 2 it’s imposible to do without make the game from 0.

So Stop asking for personal loot, they are not going to do it even if they want, they can’t do it without make the game from 0 and they are not going to do that never, we can say thanks to have D2R as it is.

11 Likes
  1. personal loot does not mean more loot. It can just mean splitting the existing loot in a fairly distributed way.
    Your argument is moot.

2. i agree that this is a problem. Best solution is a roll of dice. I would prefer factors such as proximity, activity, damage, etc. being added to it. But it needs to be safe from abusability. So the fallback would be roll of dice.
    Argument is valid, but not impossible to incompass into pLoot.

3. Where is 3? Was that all you had?

Why do you need your own thread for adding 2 points, one of which is wrong, the other is worth discussing, but you do not lead in to do that.

Btw:
Tally so far is 58 - 52 in favor of pLoot. Next week open beta starts and alot more people will be arguing for pLoot. You are fighting a losing battle.

Private loot - Poll

6 Likes

EDIT: Removed comment about players 8. Apparently this was single player only.

Your point depends entirely on how it’s implemented. What if they simply add a 5 second timer to all drops and make it only lootable by a specific player during that period? That’s in no way different from the way D2 works now except that it gives a short period of time for everyone to get loot instead of it only going to people with the fastest computer and who can click the fastest.

See my response to the first point you made. That would not require a remake of the game code at all, and could probably be implemented by a single developer in a few hours.

3 Likes

so what will be fair for you? 1 each? so now you want the game save and recognize if you got and HR that run? want the game save a turn for you also?

2- roll dice? really? you know that the “random” don’t exist in machines? we have an illusion of random but it isn’t even in numbers they need to be coded with “if” “else” and a long programming things.

You dont need to save anything.
Roll the dice. It will even out.

Same as in parcheesi. The dice does not have to save that you rolled a 6 to give you a 1 in the future. The dice will take care of it.

Ploot is not in the game for a reason, Blizzard won’t change their minds on it. Hopefully they just come out soon and say no ploot to stop the trolls.

2 Likes

already told you that dice rolls are illusion of random, random don’t exist in “machines”

It is as random as it gets, still being perceived as random though. So what is your point?

And no, they do not need to be programmed with “if then else”, what they are normally doing is calculating a very long number (e.g. PI) and take a position of it’s decimals, then move along that sequence (or pick a new number from the decimals).
There are some calculations in between to “seed” it so that it is always a new sequence of numbers. That seed could be based on your current time or your mouse movement or something else that is “random enough”.

Random number generation - Wikipedia

I dont think your point of randomness in computers being not good enough has much traction. Alot of cryptography is based on exactly that randomness. If it was not random enough for a super-computer to not being able to detect the pattern, then encryption would be easier to decypher.

Instead security agencies either have to use brute force or backdoors to get to the data.

And even if it was not the case, it is still random enough for people playing a video game.

1 Like

Players already abuse the loot system by playing solo in games that should require 8 players.

You don’t know that.

Because it didn’t exist at the time? Not a real good reason.

It’s more random than “he who clicketh fastest”

1 Like

anyway it’s irrelevant for this game, people will be unable to roll dice on every drop for each monster.

or you will choice if X item will be rolled or not?

rare items don’t roll? why not? if you get some circlet op you are rich in HR for example.
so the shako roll?
then the sigon set roll also?
when to roll?
will appear a window to make you roll if you want it? in the middle of the fight?
who can roll it? only the near people or all of the party??

it’s imposible to put a roll option in diablo 2 as it is, this isn’t an MMORPG.

Why? the game will do it for them.
Same as it is already rolling the dice when picking what items to drop from a boss.

All items roll would be the easiest. You could also limit it to certain rarities or classes.
It does not really make a difference tbh. Everything that is fairly distributed, is being fairly distributed.

If you think that taking white items out of the equation feels better to you, then you are welcome to make this simplification. Math stays the same though.

The roll happens in the background. The result will be on your screen. Your items will be clickable, other players items are either invisible or visible in a special color (e.g. transparent).

1- so the single player it’s there by some kind of magic?
and being able to put password to your game in multiplayer the same?

2-i know it, it’s decided by the last hit that kill the monster, if your mercenary kill it, it will add your mf to his mf.

Nobody is asking for a roll system, that’s your strawman. Several RPGs have personal loot without needing to do what you’re fumbling with in your post there.

only boss? why? even the most useless monster can give good items. you want the game roll every monster? every chest? and what happen with the barb skill? this will be also rolled?

please think a bit before defend the “roll” system, it will not work in this game, it can’t work.

That can also happen with FFA.

The game engine already calculates the drop/no drop chance and the item identity based on multiple factors including number of players in party and physical proximity to monster kill. Adding an extra RNG roll after this to assign a drop to a player that was in physical proximity of the monster kill is relatively easy in 2021.

Since they would not need to remake the game from zero, your view is misinformed.

Also, if Blizzard knew that they could not do it and would need to rebuild the entire game, then why did Blizzard send out a survey that asked if players were interested in personal loot replacing FFA loot at D2R launch? I assume that you knew about this but I guess not.

1 Like

It was an example.
I should have written monster, or item drop in general.

Stopped reading you here. That works only for single player.

They said D2 couldnt even be remastered because of the code and/or etc. so im sure they could do personal loot if they wanted to.
Should they? I dont know.

Oh they absolutely could, and it wouldn’t even be difficult.

Should they is definitely a different question.

OP arguing they’d need to revise the entire drop equation is just silly, and no one should believe that.

2 Likes

Sorry. Haven’t played D2 in probably 10 years now. Perhaps you should continue reading since most of my post had nothing to do with that, but rather with the ease at which personal loot could be implemented. That being said, I don’t care whether personal loot is implemented at all since I don’t play multiplayer.