Following my last post RE to Iria

ok this forum do not authorized myself to reply again on the post I have create because they said it has not enough replies … so stupid…
So i will ask my new question following the reply I got from the items to salvage :
I have some items on my list that a user suggst me to trash like Calamity and others that are Primal Ancient. Now I’m not sure about deleting them because of the primal ancient quality even if he suggest to trash it. Any other opinions on Iria conclusion of salvaging items?

You mean this thread?

I think these new forums have an anti-bump and possibly anti-necro system in place so you can’t post if you’re the last one to post something.

In regards to your question: the items I listed as salvage/cube/use were recommendations for the viable endgame builds. You can of course keep primals for collection purposes (I keep some junk primals of some things for fun myself).

The suggestions I made are done with having knowledge of how the item’s legendary ability (if present) interacts with skills and other items. Generally, if an item is the only item that buffs a specific skill, and not by very much (e.g. Kridershot), it will be useless in the endgame. The strongest builds are strong because of the build synergy among all the skills and items used.

For example, consider the equipment of the popular UE Multishot build with Captain Crunch:

• Yang’s Recurve
  • Dead Man’s Legacy
  • UE Helm/Cloak/Gloves/Shoulders/Boots (or Pants)
  • CC Belt/Pants (or Boots)
  • Focus/Restraint
  • Squirt’s Necklace
  • Wraps of Clarity
  • Dawn (cubed)
  • Visage of Gunes (cubed)
  • Ring of Royal Grandeur (cubed)

Let’s now look at the item synergy:

• Multishot is buffed by Yang’s Recurve (3x damage, 1.5x attack speed, +50% RCR)
  • Multishot is buffed by Dead Man’s Legacy (3x damage, hit targets under 60% life twice)
  • Multishot is buffed by UE6 bonus (302x damage with 86 max discipline)
  • All damage is buffed by Focus and Restraint (2.25x damage with both buffs active)
  • All damage is buffed by Squirt’s Necklace (2x damage at max stacks)
  • All damage is buffed by UE4 bonus (1.6x damage when active)
  • All damage is buffed by CC3 bonus (at least 1.37x damage generally)
  • All damage is buffed by Dawn (1.4x damage with Vengeance)
  • Damage taken reduced by Visage of Gunes + Dawn (2x toughness)
  • Damage taken reduced by Wraps of Clarity (2x toughness when active)
  • Damage taken reduced by UE4 bonus (2.5x toughness when active)
  • Damage taken reduced by Yang’s + CC3 (2.5-3.0x toughness generally)
  • Damage taken increased by Squirt’s Necklace (0.67x toughness at max stacks)
  • The Ring of Royal Grandeur enables this build (impossible otherwise)

When you consider some item such as Calamity, the Marked for Death debuff applies only to 1 target at a time and only provides a paltry 1.12x damage (it’s even less because of how it’s in the DibS category) and you would lose either Yang’s Recurve or Dawn (OUCH)!

In fact, Dawn is so good, any build that could use Calamity would just be better off with Dawn instead (even if you could mark everything all the time). The only exception would be maybe in a group setting as a zdps DH, but there are better options even in that situation.

Final remarks: the legendary abilities and inter-item synergy in a build are so important, that even the worst possible useful item (e.g. non-ancient Yang’s Recurve with low dps) is better than a primal ancient junk item for a given build and some items are junk items for all viable endgame builds.

ok and if I got a Primal Ancient Dawn, I have already its power in the cube but could the item be useful at something else like follower ?

It’s been completely overtaken by the Multishot variant, but Dawn would be equipped in the UE/Grenades variant, e.g.

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Meteorblade-2266/hero/107322060

A fellow nades fan, nice. Have you toyed around with echoing fury over buriza in the cube?

The Rapid Fire builds use an equipped Dawn, so it’s worth saving in case you might want to play that at some point in the future.

Dawn is so ubiquitous in DH builds, and probably still will be in the future, that it’s worth keeping even if you wouldn’t currently use it. There’s a decent chance that there might be a DH build in the future that would wield a Dawn. A Primal Dawn is one I would definitely keep. There’s a bunch of other DH weapons you should probably salvage even if they rolled primal, but that’s a good one to keep.

1 Like

It’s even worse than that. The MfD debuff is applied after the first hit. So unless you’re fighting a single monster, or using a strict single target skill, Calamity “works” like that:

• 1st enemy is hit and takes some damage
  • 1st enemy gets a mark “I will get more damage on the next hit”
  • 2nd enemy is hit and takes some damage
  • 2nd enemy gets a mark, and the first enemy lose the mark
  • last enemy gets a mark

On the next attack the last enemy is probably somewhere far away, and a lot of other enemies are much nearer, so everything is the same as before, and not a single enemy will be hit with additional damage.

And if you cast MfD manually on a monster, it is very likely that you hit a different monster first, and you just wasted some discipline. The only rune that somewhat works with Calamity is “Valley of Death”. All the others do more harm than good when using Calamity.

The legendary effect isn’t actually a bonus, unless you think that shooting yourself in the knee is a bright idea.

2 Likes

Dawn is used in LOD Rapid Fire and nobody plays grenades.

UE/Grenades used to be the top pushing DH build (if I remember, Season 11 or 12) but, like I already said, it was completely overtaken by the Multishot variant, and that’s because they buffed Yang’s Recurve and Dead Man’s Legacy, without anything equivalent for the Grenades variant.

UE6 grenades feels very squishy if you go past GR110. It is like playing the non-CC3 version of multishot in density, except with a little more recovery… Yikes!

I did try grenade cache rune with echoing fury, it was fun, but the whole package didn’t work well.

The problem is the build is armor/jewelry cube locked. Everything is aimed at offense, so no room for CC3, Elusive Ring, Aquilas, or Stone Gaunts — I cant see this build ever getting on its feet again without Hunters Wrath or Depth Diggers being buffed substantially. Sad because it was really fun.

1 Like

Well I am very far of gr110…

1 Like