Focus/Restraint vs SoJ/CoE for S24 Inna TR

Hey there, I was considering a variant of the new and now common Inna Tempest Rush variant being used in Season 24.

The basic idea is to swap Focus and Restraint for a Convention of Elements and a Stone of Jordan. By stacking Lightning damage instead of Fire, we can then use the Won Khim Lau’s lightning damage bonus to increase the damage further. We also can then drop a generator in favor of something like Sweeping Wind - Inner Storm to help with maintaining Tempest Rush and thus gain more Obsidian Ring procs. Lastly, with the extra elite damage from the Stone of Jordan, we can possibly drop The Furnace in the cube for The Executioner.

Here I will compare both variants and their multipliers:

Focus & Restraint

• 2.25x damage multiplier
  • 1.40x elemental damage (amulet/bracers max)
  • +2 ring primary affixes over SoJ (e.g. ChC or CDR)
  • ~1.11x damage from Executioner or +50% elite damage from Furnace
  • Must use a generator (e.g. Way of the Hundred Fists)

Stone of Jordan & Convention of Elements

• 1.4x time-averaged damage multiplier (from CoE)
  • 1.85x elemental damage (amulet/bracers/SoJ/WKL max)
  • +30% elite damage (from SoJ)
  • ~1.11x damage from Executioner or +50% elite damage from Furnace
  • Can use Sweeping Wind - Inner Storm for more spirit w/ more Obsidian procs

While the standard Focus & Restraint setup still looks better on paper, the other setup should be playtested for viability. I’m in the process of trying to find a Lightning, ChC, ChD, socket squirts but I will try it once I get that last item!

Here is a d3planner link to compare each option and play around with the build variants:

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

The problem is that 99% of your damage comes from your allies, so lightning damage buffing TR really doesn’t do much, since your allies are fire damage (or cold for speeds).

The TR in these builds is there to proc the free Cyclone Strike, proc Mantle of Channeling and to proc Zodiac to reset Serenity and Mystic Ally faster.

I know that, but please check the Stone of Jordan legendary power!

2 Likes

You are so polite)

Very interesting further build progression idea. I really like new TR Inna mechanic play style. And it’s seems as very good soj utilisation idea.

Wanna try)

p.s. all the time I’m playing as a monk I’m thinking: why the heck monks need physical as 5th element it decreases coe damage(

btw You should also take into account +10% elemental damage bonus from enchantress, so real overall soj+coe multiplier even lesser.

I prefer the 10% cooldown from enchantress.

Does this actually work? Independent of Tempest Rush?

Given that we wear the Enforcer gem, you can have both Follower abilities. Follower survival is very strong.

3 Likes

I should say so, since the Inna set bonus makes them invincible!

Edit: I see you were meaning the enchantress and not the mystic allies, so nevermind!

Edit 2: with regards to Sweeping Wind, I’m not sure if it procs the ring, but at least with more spirit you can Tempest Rush longer (and not need to cast a generator).

I was doing that and getting over 50% lightning damage easily enough. The problem is, Stone of Jordans are just horrible, as far as rolls go. If you can find a good one, seems legit.

Fun thing cause I did exactly that with my season monk.
Cleared 135 with 1900 Para under 9 min

Defense is the problem with that build. Its hard to survive. Maybe I should add serenty for going higher. The build is very fast on mid high grifts like 130 - 135 but on higher lvls it is hard to deal dmg because you can not stay in the mid of everything (and thats how you need to deal dmg) - on lower tiers its slower.

Simple solution: moar paragon :wink:

1 Like

Can i ask what are you using for GR 130+ ? Fire or cold? I have a hard time trying to hit the target that i want with fire allies. Every time i seem to be surrounded by 150 enemies and they absorb the explosion.

i use fire and messerschids - if you have lots of trash you can often release your allys. when there is only a few targets i try to be sure to have allys rdy in fire cycle. but my rolls are ofc lightning. the fire allys only deal dmg if you stay long enough in the middle of everything, otherwise they often run to a wall or wherever they want