First TCP/IP than No Ultra Wide, No Gem & Runes Stacking

Pretty embarrassing that VV/Blizz isn’t adding the same UI to mouse/keyboard. Only as an option of course.

I guess modders will add it for offline play down the road, but no good reason not to add it as a default thing. It doesn’t change the game, it just cut clicks in half.

1 Like

D2R is made specifically for the current D2 population for a quick buck. You may get a handful of new players,

But D2 is a relic of an age and society that is no longer considered modern. The balance is poor at best, the mechanics are archaic and no longer popular, and really you are only paying 45 dollars for a skin upgrade. Which to be fair, is fine. But don’t pretend that D2R is anything but a way to get money out of the die hard fans. There is next to nothing people in this current year will find fun.

Also TCP/IP was removed so people couldn’t play pirated versions.

2 Likes

I am definitely not in the “current D2 population”. Yet, after having played the beta for a short time, it is abundantly clear that D2 offers something other Diablo games just haven’t been able to. It is just more fun/interesting to play.
Sure, it is a skin upgrade, but for many people who are turned off by the 800x600 graphics of D2, that does matter.

Except for the best Diablo game, and one of the best A-RPGs, of all time.

They can do that without tcp/ip.

Grats, you are one person I mentioned in the ‘handful’. That doesn’t change nor challenge what I posted.

D2 was rightfully the best ARPG of all time. Twenty plus years ago. If it were released today as is, it would be laughed at.

1 Like

Quality gameplay is timeless.

I dont think D2 is the best A-RPG around here and now (PoE or Grim Dawn probably have to fight over that title currently), but it is one of the best ones, and the best Blizzard has to offer, at least until D4 shows up, in 2024-something.

No, it’s not. It may be nostalgic, but that’s not the same.

agreed. if it was released today, it woud be such a severe flop. it might still be a severe flop.

Everyone is angry about TCP and I completely understand but, genuine question

Who here actually use that feature, today in 2021? I understand the uses of the mode, there are servers for tcp ip people to duel with their offline characters (which is kinda dumb considering you have even less guarantees the toons won’t be hacked), and lan parties with friends which I don’t imagine a lot of people still need tcp to do, since most people will just do them on bnet. Is there any use case for this I’m missing out? I’m not trying to defend removal of the feature btw, I’m just curious about how popular it actually is

How do you figure?
Back in D2 days TCP/IP was where everybody plugged their computer lan outlet into the network hub at the one house and played in the same game in the same group
I don’t think the internet was anywhere near good enough to be able to play across the internet the speed would be way too slow and the bottle neck for the hosting computer would be atrocious and the lag and rubber banding would make the game unplayable

From what I understand the current D2 population only play modded D2 and not the original and seeing as no modding is apparantly being made available it can’t be made for the current D2 population because there is no original D2 players out there

pretty much why I am thinking about getting D2R

Maybe but trash graphics that hurt the eyes is still trash graphics

AKA warcraft 3 reforged

One of the good reasons to keep D2R close to the original was that QOL stuff could be added via mods. Now that mods might be going away and they decided to listen to purists to keep the game exactly the same, D2R is no longer interesting to me. Very glad I didn’t pre purchase this. I might jump on if someone hack the heck out of the Switch version.

One huge usecase is playing mods with friends. That is impossible in D2R unless they announce some new feature to enable it.

Chess is not worse because it is old.
Something that was good gameplay 100 years ago remains good gameplay today. You can of course have an opinion on whether it is good gameplay.

Couch co-op is sharing one screen/hardware to play the game. No LAN.
TCP/ip is LAN/internet.

Which is exactly what is getting updated.

Mods apparently use it.

Well, from what I know the big ones have private servers but for D2R this would be much trickier to happen so I see how TCP would be useful

Wouldn’t be a flop, it would be a niche game within the genre due to that archaic nature of some systems.

so, yeah, it would be a flop since it caters to to the audiance that has more than likely moved on to more modern games. i cant see it lasting long.

No, it would cater to those playing niche game without modern conveniences. It still don’t think that wouldn’t meet the definition of a flop.

It wouldn’t be a flop by any definition. I expect D2R to sell millions of copies. But the lifespan of the game will be severely curtailed; at least, as of RIGHT NOW. Further development support might make the game last another 20 years.

That’s a hell of an response, Shad. Good argument. But I don’t think Diablo 2 and Chess are really comparable.

I would respond games like professional Baseball/Football/Hockey have rule changes quite often.

It’s not getting anything post release other than new bug fixes and potentially balancing/old bug fixes.

That’s not certain, yet. We don’t know. The survey indicated everything from personal loot to skills/balancing to a charm inventory was possible.

What was never mentioned was new, actual end-game, content. I would love instanced Chaos/Cow/Baal runes, personally. NEW RUNEWORDS! Rebalanced skills. I would buy D2R instantly.