Finally an AFK Wiz top tier build, Loving Firebird so far

Finally, after all these years, we finally have a top-tier WIz build that doesn’t rely on piano keying, and on top of it, decently fast.

Nice to have a top tier chill build for WIz finally,

DO you guys enjoy the new firebird set?

Yes the build is a nice change of pace from the old 1234 life.

2 Likes

I mean, our version of AFK is still very involved compared to other classes top builds (cough Crusader cough Necro) - but I like it that way, delays the burnout.

The best thing about it is the variety of builds with the top set this time, definitely peak interest. The only negative is no AD scaling, but that lets other class metas breath a bit so we don’t get complaints of Wiz only 4 meta nerf plz.

I agree, but I can feel the pull of the nerf vortex. Current FB-6 is above the legal limit of fun unfortunately.

Honestly, I feel like it needs to change a little bit. Really don’t like having to rely on the mirror images. Honestly, the things limiting it is the deathwish and EB being so weak. I love the deathwish, but it is in basically every build now and it’s a must. I found a build that would compete with this if deathwish wasn’t a thing. I like it more but it’s kind of killer on my hands.

1 Like

Well, I beg to differ. In this case, it’s okay for every Firebird build. This set was designed with a channeling skill at it’s core. Not as the main damage dealer, but Disintegrate is the key skill to unlock the set bonus. In this case always using Deathwish with the set is to be expected and legitimate.
The reason why many people hate this is simply because the weapon has been included in too many other builds where it shouldn’t belong - and they use it because it’s a necessary evil to get enough damage - there’s simply no better alternative that is both, easy to use and powerful enough…

2 Likes

I have a Primal Deathwish (my only push build primal weapon ever), so I am not complaining. :wink:

I have two primal DW, interestingly enough both rolled pretty well. Currently using my second one as it fits better - my first DW also rolled with 10% DMG but has 24% AD which is useless for Firebirds. Anyhow, I won’t roll that off, the item is still unenchanted (you never know). Only nasty thing on this one is that “chance to knockback on hit” secondary but it rarely triggers, so it’s not that bad, actually:

I also like what they did for the Followers. Now they need to make the full equipment show up on the online profile. Eirena on that char has some really nice items as well.

I agree with that statement, but the way the skills are designed, there’s only a single option that is useful and that’s mirror images. The only thing EB is useful for is stacking armor and minimal damage. Using the wand of woh is good for speed rifts, but that’s about it. The only other build that’s good is one that requires actually attacking, but once you start, a deathwish would lose it’s buff. I can’t think of a way to make a skill that requires you to stop channeling, work better then using mirror image.

I saw a guy zipping around the other day using EB as main skill in some speed pubs. Would this be the best GR speed build for solo/pubs? Other sites show using MI still, but in my experience they take too long to act for it to be super fast.

It’s possible it was me, though I imagine someone other then myself would have thought to use it. It’s good up until like 100 grift I’d say. After that, you need a lot more damage to use it efficiently.

Yeah only MI really damage up. I don’t see it being on par with Rats speed-wise however since it’s clunkier, but was wondering if maybe there’s some build that speeds things up.

I’m actually working on that. I realized the meta is pretty frustrating when climbing high enough. I may have found a new build, just working on gems to figure out what works the best. In testing, I did a 120 in 5 mins with it, which is pretty tough using the meta.

It was designed to light up enemies with a channeled skill then hit them with a non-channeled one. Deathwish is incompatible with the latter and thus actively interferes with how the set should be normally played. To make matters worse, unlike other classes the wizard weapon set is very niche, so there’s no other way to get a generic all damage boost. Maybe they could update Hallowed Protectors?

I would disagree. I would say this is not an AFK spec, it’s just not the 3x ridiculous hoops and mechanics wizards usually have to deal with to do the half the damage of over classes.

Firebirds is okay designed, and the set we should have had for years. Unfortunately, it is still to limited; you basically HAVE to play mirror images. You can’t run a viable FB spec with…meteor, or explosive blast.

I am pushing past 110gr after 1 day of playing this build. Insane. Not sure what my follower should be wearing tho, what are you guys running with on the follower or something that has to be on them. Currently using scoundrel

Everything that maximises their primary stat, because their abilities scale from it. In particular:

1. Obvious choices are FoT, Nemesis, Cord of Sherma (doesn’t hurt), maybe Avarice Band. Oculus Ring still works on followers as before, without emanation.
  2. Sage / Cain craftable sets now emanate, and they are quite handy. If you want both, follower needs RoRG equipped on them.
  3. On HC, I make sure that my follower has shoulders that give protective bubble on town portal (forgot the item’s name). Maybe not so important on SC, but definitely a help when you try to get “T10 rift under 2 mins” conquest.
  4. Whatever else suits your fancy.