Explosive blast never viable?

Why are the devs so against this ability even after adding two legendaries based around it. I tried pushing explosive blast in grifts only to see it falloff at gr100. Even with max primals and stats it can only hit around 5 trillion dps. Compare that to archon with no ceiling and a standardized 100+. Regardless of gear and bonuses it either doesn’t hit hard enough or can’t survive. Would it be so bad to give it a damage boost or another legendary affix to prop it up as it is right at the border of competitive.

This being my favourite build in game, actually wiz would be my fav class to play but i hate the builds you have to play to make it viable, so i havent played wiz in along time due to this but i would love for them to pump this skill up i dont think it would take much if they increased the dmg output of woh and the orb to gove more dmg/dr they may just have to tweak the way they work with sets i see being the problem, other than that id love for EB wiz to work with LON

Well at least Explosive Blast has some items for it; there are some wizard skills that don’t have any support legendaries. That said, they would either need to buff the skill itself, boost Wand of Woh’s multiplier, and/or add new legendary powers that’ll buff the skill itself.

I guess the skill itself won’t be changed, that’s not very likely. If they touch EB, then I would bet on them boosting Woh and changing the legendary power of the Orb a bit. Maybe like this:

Wand of Woh
Explosive Blast gains the Unleashed rune, deals [500-600]% more damage and detonates 3 additional blasts on every cast. Hitting less than 4 enemies with Explosive Blast doubles the damage dealt. (Wizard Only)

Orb of Infinite Depth
Increases the range of Explosive Blast by 5 yards and the damage dealt by [400-600]%. Hitting an enemy with Explosive Blast reduces your damage taken by 20% for 8 seconds, stacking up to 4 times. (Wizard only)

Another idea would be to let Explosive Blast detonate on enemies when you use the skill. Maybe like this:

Your Arcane Power spending or generating abilities leave a mark of destruction on enemies they hit, lasting five seconds. Explosive Blast now deals xxx% more damage and casting it, also causes a detonation on every target you have currently marked, consuming the mark.

or tied to Elemental Exposure

Explosive Blast also detonates on enemies affected by Elemental Exposure and deals xxx% more damage for every stack of Elemental Exposure applied.

Number tweaking might be due, but somethinge like that.

Could also run Ingeom and stack crazy attack speed. Coupled with electrocute, you can speed blast a decend LoD build i believe.

Note to self: Test EB cast speed while channeling electrocute with shame of delsere equipped. Would it cast at the enhanced attack speed while Ingeom was active?:thinking::thinking:

I currently have a captain crimson tals set that I am running with 78% cdr the problem isn’t attack speed it is the time for it to run over from cooldown. Unless they changed ingeom to remove globals on skills with less than the reduced cd amount idk how you would get it off faster? I could be wrong though test it out and let me know if attack speed makes a big difference, but i don’t see it even from shrine buffs.

Attack speed from what i remember only affects skill animation which is bypassed anyway, and you still have 200ms cooldown on it i believe.
I have been doing some 110’s on it couple of seasons ago but it was not a speed but any means, still a fun way to play.
It definitelly needs more support from legendaries but having chantodo archon just pulsing damage around being used for higher content is enough for me. Its a perfect skill for speed runs and thats where i thing it should stay.

Ps. That was before loD so i had to use zodiac along with LoN having more free ring slots unlocks additional potential.

“www.d3planner. com/371798413”
I can’t post links yet? there is a space after the . before com.

that is the best loadout i could think of for LOD flashfire. it caps out at 82 billion dps which doesn’t sound right? Because I hit for 111 billion currently with sub par gear. That is 1/9 blasts.

This looks like a rift build but you have stricken gem to suggest its for greater rifts. For normal rifts you would get more benefit if you picked cold rune on blast which deals less damage but has larger radius. And for greater rifts you would get more in my opinion if you picked etched sigil instead of ingeom.

Summary:
Fix ice nova so that tals will proc off more than just 1 rune
Wand of woh and orb of infinite depth needs damage modifier buffs
MAKE LEGENDARY PANTS for EB build imo(y no legendary pants blizz?)
Overall still a great build with potential of GR 115+ during time of reply
current GR with build 102 solo

My all time favourite build playstyle and sadly, its only for speed farming early GR but with the latest season buff, using tals base set, i have been able to clear 102 solo fairly easily, only hindered by the fact the other items used by wiz are not optimized for a meele playstyle. Halo of kirini and orb of infinite depth though are fairly well when used together and clearing trash mobs, suffers greatly when clearing gaurdians at higher GR levels. tals requires 4 elemental spells that wont interupt arcane torrent. this puts frost nova into your rotation purely for an ice skill which i HATE!

im going for the leaderboard this season and even if i only just creep onto it in the 900+, ill be one of the only EB solo builds on there. I havent seen any other than hydra or archon.

side note:
using tals set(helm,ammy,chest,belt,gloves)
Aughilds (shoulders and bracers)
captain crimsons(pants and feet)
wand of woh
orb of ID
Halo of karini
convention/obsidian ring(depends on build)

Cube
Deathwish
etched sigil
RORG

the key to this build is as follows

keep tals up
keep Orb of ID up
keep karini UP
Stack HP to 1 million
magic weapon deflection based off 4% max to shield per hit
get life per hit to 50k
combined magic weapon and life perhit with EB popping and arcane torrent streaming means ur healing for ungodly amounts, especially in crowds.

ur EB ticks for just about 2t per crit pop with convention active, which is NOT impressive but dps per second is actually closer to 5-10T dps. i have tried every cominbation and every possible build including delseres and LOD. none really compete with tals damage numbers though for some weird reason.

honorable mentions
including a manald heal ring over convention, is nice, and produces some insane unumbers when paralysis procs. unfortunately because of stun DR, it does not produce enough consistant damage to be warranted over higher overall damage.

Obsidian ring is conflicted
by rights this ring SHOULD be included in this build
the problem even with extra cube options atm there is no room due to set restrictions like usual.
The amount of extra damage output from obsidian is stiffled by frost nova and teleport cooldowns, making it rather ineffective at its job.