Explain personal loot please

1. Let a party of N players killing an enemy. Assume that the server keeps track of each’s players average ping p1,p2,…pN.
  2. Enemy has died, drops have been rolled server-side. Time to send the packet to each individual client.
  3. Assume that the dropped item packet structure is made so that a duration is set for the client to interpret as the delay after which the item should be seen as dropped client-side.
  4. Compute the delay to be used on a player-basis, i.e for player J, simply use max(p1,p2,…pN) - pJ and use it as the delay.
  5. Send the packet to every player with their respective delay and voila.

This will be my last post about your non-sense, crawl back into Diablo 3 please.

Even with this coding, players with lower ping have it easier, unless you add another delay.

Player with low ping:

The monster just died. Nothing drops, now I get ready to click like a mad man and approach the area where drops are likely. Finger is on the mouse trigger.

Player with high ping.
Sees monster dies. Immediately drop aappears. The other player with low ping has already had the difference in ping to prepare to click.

2 Likes

What a joke of a response. For a player with 100ms of ping (which is a lot) we are talking about at most 5 frames of drop-latency on a 60Hz monitor for the player with the less ping, which is litteraly unnoticeable and does not give enough time to react. Everything you say is blatantly false. Anyone needy about loot in PUGs has always been anticipating the enemy death to get ready to click. You are either deliberately acting in bad faith, or you just do not understand. You can’t even anticipate where to click exactly either. I’m done. No personal loot, that’s all we need and that’s we are getting as they are aiming for as little modifications as possible whether you like it or not.

The great thing is you have that game already (It is called D2). If the developers chooee to have personal loot in D2R or add the ability to have game where the creator can define global loot or personal loot that would be a wonderful addition. In this case, you can play games with global loot with like-minded individuals. I can play with others who prefer personal loot. My choice of personal loot does not affect your ability to play games with global loot.

2 options are better than 1.

If you are right that everyone will play global loot, then it will be lonely in personal loot games. I suspect that will not happen and that personal loot games will be more popular.

Irrespective, you can play your way and I can play mine.

4 Likes

In all honesty I don’t mind the flag for personal loot or not. Honestly what you will see happen if this route is taken is that players will not invite you their party if you are under leveled or suck. Level restrictions will be put on games.

You will have made things worse for players who cant gear themselves. Thats fine by me

1 Like

My top sentence was regarding Personal Loot

The second was a “joke” and reference to the D2 OEM Shared Loot. So no I did not fully know what it was since I havnt played D3 as I said.

Regardless, I got the answer, and no I do not want it in D2, I want the pain that I said and the opportunity to outclick someone, or play solo for my MF gains.

In diablo 2 when you kill someone you drop your gold and an ear. That ear is your “Personal” loot. No other loot like it out there…( Less you get pawned again)

1 Like

simple… personal loot makes it so no matter how far away you are or who killed the monster you can grab the loot and they cant…

aka the when you are helping out in chaos and ball runs, and somthign you need drops you cant pick it up, some leecher how is staying as a safe distance making the game hard and not contrubuting is going to run over and grab the item form the monster you killed

people want it because basically want “free loot” with no work… they want to steal the loot from the person who is NEXT to the item… (usually the person who killed them).

even the “best case senario” where the person who did the most damage to the monster ( on non bosses and eiltes) would get a 1 second priority to grab it… can still be abused the other way from some high level person using ranged skills and then teleing on top of an item they wanted

as it is NOW is most balanced.
if you’re ranged you tele on an item to pick it up, if your melee your already within grab range… loot doesn’t go to the people who dont contribute unless the person who DID donest want it and leaves it.

the sole exception may be to like zons who are ranged and dont always run enigma, but even then its still pretty dang common for them too.

1 Like

I don’t think people who want personal loot will have Enigmas in public games.If you had an Enigma with loot you earned or traded for, this wouldn’t really be a concern of yours. The majority of your drops would not be coming from public boss runs.

The scenarios the main complainer is using mostly happens in boss runs when the boss dies. Anyone who can actually kill monsters, even ranged, benefits because eventually a good item drops by them since they killed that monster specifically.

That is why he comes off so leechy and uses awful examples for personal loot. I do think there are some good ones but end of the day still think it has no place in this game

No to personal loot !!! :slight_smile: