Evidence of RNG flaw?

Suspicions of misbehaving RNG are easy to find, but what I’ve just seen today appears to be evidence of it… see what you think.

Earlier today I noticed I did a rare upgrade of a shoulder piece and received an exact duplicate of an ancient shoulder roll I already had rolled since season end, only a week ago.

I figured it was pretty sus and pondered the probability… it seemed to border on the impossible. Perhaps reasonable to dismiss a one off.

Then, I discovered another rare upgrade of a shoulder rolled only a day or two ago which I didn’t notice until now was exactly the same as another piece I rolled since season end.

So… 2 ancient shoulder rolls within 2 days, both exact duplicates of 2 other shoulder rolls within the last week.

Pretty sure that’s virtually impossible. More likely the RNG has got stuck in a loop somehow or some other flaw that allows the inconceivable to occur.

2 Likes

wouldn’t surprise me. Some players are using kanai recipe scumming to get perfect primals. I didn’t believe it when someone on a Facebook group told me, so tested it myself and sure enough, it worked. I got another player (who shall remain unamed unless they want to name themselves in this thread) to re-test and it worked for them too. Lots of console players are using this. Don’t even need save wizard for this. SC recipes are a different RNG seed to HC recipes, and I believe what works on seasons doesn’t work on NS. I haven’t tested it any further than my initial test. Needless to say, when you see top players on the LBs with identical primary and secondary stats on primals, you know how they got it.

So, consoles now have save wizard, scum saving, kanai recipe scumming and modded gear. Seasons on consoles are now totally ruined. I’m not gonna even talk about you cannot mail items you find to other players in your fiends list, can’t share with friends in your group and of course, the reduced mob density, FOV and stupid NG mechanism. I won’t even mention that our console massacre rate bonuses are only a fraction of what the PC players get. Behindtimes proved this a few seasons back with an excellent video on YouTube.

Seasons are ruined on PS4 and switch. xbox is the best console platform to play on (no save wizard, no modded gear). There’s still save scumming and kanai recipe scumming, but, that’s way better than what us PSN players have.

A player on the SC DH LBs has 7 primals after 38 hours for his build 7. Messaged him, he laughed, told me he actually has 11 primals. 11 primals dropped in 38 hours. You’d need, on average, around 5000 legendary items to drop for that to happen naturally.

Still reading, but till I come back to it … this point occurred to me and I consider that the attempt to solve crash before save / reloading with mats has created both of these problems. Just kicked the can down the road if so.

ps, I’ve been doing all this in NS. Pretty sure the earlier roll on the later discovered item came from NS, but not a hundred percent clear memory there.

Blizzard have employed a fix RNG on clvl 1 characters. That is where the problem is. RNG needs to be truly random on consoles, but in many cases, it isn’t. I don’t want to say more, because it’s against the forum rules on cheating, and I don’t want newbies to learn stuff about cheating and then use it.

It will never be truly random on a digital device, but the approximation to randomness can work better than this. I think messing around with the seed in the way that they have has enabled predictability… such as you see with recipes.

That still doesnt explain this bizzare thing I’ve seen… it’s like the seeding got repeated somewhere along the way… god I hope it’s not ground hog day from here on out on rare upgrades.

2 Likes

others have reported this too. I have seen it once or twice (all primary and secondary stats identical, non-primal).

1 Like

Since I’ve been paying attention to it, it’s happened 5 times… seems like quite a lot of times considering that I don’t platy that much (once every second day on avg). Looks like a short cut has been taken in the roll mechanics somewhere along the way. Have reported, fwiw.

I’ve had that issue…the seed seems to have failed to reset or has been maintained and you get identical copies of gear occasionally. Seems rare but not sure how to trigger it.

1 Like

Yup. I got two identical copies of a primal The Barber weapon this season from upgrading Rares from the cube. I’ve never had this happen before prior to this season.

This…

Theres true RNG and psuedo RNG aka TRNG and PRNG. True RNG the computer must use some external physical variable that is unpredictable, and PRNGs use mathematical algorithms (completely computer-generated). Psuedo RNG is what we got… Basically its technically predictable and seeds are not truly “random”. Also RNG is only as good as the person who created or coded it. Heres a list/examples of some different TRNGs to name a few:

• [Espressif ESP32-WROOM-32]
  • [Intel SGX
  • [Microchip ATECC608]
  • [Microchip PIC32MZ]
  • [Nordic nRF5x]
1 Like