Ethereals After Season 24

This video comes courtesy of Wudijo and tackles the existence of Ethereals after the end of season 24. Simple, elegant and exciting solution! Devs, see this please:

6 Likes

wudijo looks like he´s overdosing on the season. i don´t blame him.

he makes good points.

would love for the ethereal beams to stay.

besides, the transmogs alone are a bit of a letdown tbh.

1 Like

That is a fantastic idea. I would, in post-season play, also reduce the frequency of drops for Ethereals toward something closer to the Primals drop probability. Finding the right one, thus, would be a truly special moment.

2 Likes

Cool, could you list what it is. Watching 15 minutes of streamer blah, blah, blah is not worth my time.

5 Likes

Ethereals, 4th slot and so on…

1 Like

ethereals only for followers is the only way, if they dothat :joy:

3 Likes

8:33
“not any crappy off hand power that no one wants to get”

Some very good observations & ideas.

I like that you need to actually PLAY the class to get ethereals. You can’t make znecro, grind 4k paragon, save mats and use them to make a different class.

Thx for the summaries. Now I can go waste those 15 minutes in a more fun way.

1 Like

Wudijo basically points out how to keep Ethereals past Season 24, without the massive power overload which they have in Seasonal play. The idea is simple: remove the all-damage multipliers. Just to be clear, see the example below:
Let’s say that, in Seasonal play, we find Grimmershred, an Ancient Ethereal Flying Axe (a Barbarian item) with the following stats:
+218-218 Cold Damage
+207-207 Fire Damage
+212-212 Lightning Damage
+75% Damage
Increases attack Speed by 15%
Increases damage against elites by 14%
+100% damage to all Barbarian skills
Reduces cooldown of all skills by 7%
Ignores Durability Loss
Killing an elite pack increases move speed by 30% for 7 seconds
*Seismic Slam attacks 50% faster and also deals 144% increased damage against Slowed or Chilled enemies.
*Gain Nerves of Steel passive. (Barbarian Only)

For after Season 24 play, the same Ethereal would appear but without the

1. +75% Damage
  2. +100% damage to all Barbarian skills

So the item would look as follows:
+218-218 Cold Damage
+207-207 Fire Damage
+212-212 Lightning Damage
Increase attack Speed by 15%
Increases damage against elites by 14%
Reduces cooldown of all skills by 7%
Ignores Durability Loss
Killing an elite pack increases move speed by 30% for 7 seconds
*Seismic Slam attacks 50% faster and also deals 144% increased damage against Slowed or Chilled enemies.
*Gain Nerves of Steel passive. (Barbarian Only)

Such an item would still be superior but only a bit, without shaking up the power creep by no more than 1, maybe 2 levels top. At the same time, because Ethereals can not be crafted but can be obtained from mob drops only, it would revitalize the in-game hunt mechanic.

That’s the summary.

3 Likes

I am very against power creep but I do agree with Wudijo that in some form every season theme should transfer over to non season. As mainly a non season player this would give every player some form of change after every season. Not just the players that choose to play the new builds they create.

5 Likes

Cool. Dont forget to salvage all your Ethereals before season ends, they are worth alot of crafting mats and keys.

Yes, i think seasons should leave something permanent to the game: it can work like a test, if the season works then the new content is implemented in some way to the main game. That way there is some kind of growth.

As for the ethereals, i would like them to stay in the game.

No, ANY creep from the Etherals’s should not intrude into the current Era. If they were to keep them, they will have to be INFERIOR to current weapons and are really novelty only.

But its not happening, its been clearly stated they were ONLY for the season (in spirit of D2R’s Release).

1 Like

That isn’t a big issue, they can keep them as season only until the Era ends, or keep them just as a seasonal thing: the mechanic of not transfer them to non seasonal is already there.

The removal of the all damage modifiers would make ethereals much less interesting. It is that affix, primarily, that makes them worthwhile.

I would not be pleased if that were done.

they could just make them non-reparable…

Spaulders of Zakara [Emanates].

That’s a non-fix.

Hi DeadlyMouse,

Keep in mind, that Wudijo’s solution is not cast in stone but merely a suggestion on how to remove the massive over-power factor that the Ethereals currently have. Perhaps, the actual solution lies in some sort of power nerf compromise. Instead of completely removing the

• +75% Damage
  • +100% damage to all Barbarian skills
    they could just nerf the bonus by a factor of ten (or some such)
    You would then get a
  • +7-10% Damage bonus
  • +10% Bonus to all Barbarian (or whatever other class) skills
    That would make for a much smaller boost but still an ultimately perfect end-game item that would be worth hunting for.

The more I think about it the more I agree. If Ethereals are to be end-game weapons, then their value should be accentuated by having to put in some respectable hours to get them.

If they keep them. Like they kept season 17 via the lod gem, I’d expect a similar % power nerf (50% damage reduction). Like the lon set vs lod.