Dual Wielding and Whirlwind channeling ticks

If one weapon has AS 1.0, and other weapon has AS 1.5 - how will Whirlwind tick?

What breakpoints will be, how many frames per tick etc? How to calculate that while wielding two weapons with different AS?

I’ve always been unfamiliar with this myself. Whirlwind does alternate hands though. So I’ve always assumed you need to look at the breakpoints and and ticks for each hand’s attack speed. But it might just be main hand since the channeling nature.

Putting your faster weapon in your main hand has always been the practice.

But why was that a practice? Does channeling skill only accounts for your main hand weapon? Or what is the reason?

I’ve only ever heard of putting the higher damage weapon in your main hand because some skills only use your main hand.

2 Likes

This. I know that ww and hota alternate weapons, so I haven’t worried about it in years. I think that EQ uses only mh, but since you have a 2h for Mote builds it doesn’t really matter. I"m not sure about ss.

1 Like

The issue with 1 weapon faster then the other was the delay affecting the faster weapon.

For example. Your main hand hits. And then your offhand has to hit. And if the main hand is suppose to hit while the offhand is still hitting it delays it. Which is actually bad for dps reasons.

So if I’m not mistaken. There is no possible way of a weapon hitting twice before the other one hits. If this makes sense to you guys. The issue simply is the delay of a swing because the other swing isn’t done yet.

This affects ww more then hota I would say. Because of ww breakpoints. As well as the nado breackpoint.

That’s probably why common practice is to get ias on both weapons or neither weapon.

hota has bp too, it’s just as important there as for ww, or nearly so anyway.

and there are one or 2 skills that only use mh for dmg calculation.

First, WW is not like charge(charge count main hand only), WW ticks depends on both weapon. However, I heard (I don’t remember clear), if you hold the button, only one weapon APS is used to caculate the WW ticks, tornado spawn rate.

If you assume a simple model. (NO frame, animation continous)

Average WW (no tornado) APS = 2/ (1/1 + 1/1.5) = 2/ ( 1 + 2/3) = 6/5 = 1.2; It is not = avg ( 1 , 1.5) = 1.25.

Small tornado dmg avg APS = sqrt(2/ ( 1^2 + (1/1.5)^2) ) = 1.177. (APS not only affects ticks, it also affects spawn rate of nados).

If you consider frames, you gonna have to check NOT ONLY WW frames BUT ALSO tornado spawn frames (tick rate). Go to d3planner and check it. If you wanna a more accurate model, that gonna be a tough job.

There is some deep math behind WW mechanics. That is one reason why I love WW. Without legendary power multiplier, it is the strongest skill among all barb skills and even among all classes.

Yeah, it’s way stronger than half the dh skills. Or wizard. Or necromancer. or…

Thanks. I’ve also found a web-site fully dedicated to a Whirlwind bard. I’ve got many useful info from it, especially from FAQ. Here it is:
https:// whirlwinner.herokuapp .com/faq
(remove spaces after // and before .com)

here ya go…