Drops raining from the sky?

Hi, while i’m waiting in D2R i gave D3 another chance and i’m having quite some fun with it :grin:

Now in the D2R forum alot people talk about stupid high drop rates, but it seems this might have been a bit exaggerated :sweat_smile:?

I finished campaign with demon Hunter, paragon about 30, and finished season quest 3 (so i got 2 gifts yet), currently back playing T1 (more relaxed) bounty hunts to get some more jeweler recipes for season rewards.

So is this “legendaries raining from the sky” just some D2 purist BS, or to i just need to play higher difficulty? Guess i should focus on getting my 3th gift before farming another set?

People who moan about loot raining from the sky keep forgetting one thing. They forget that drop rates are tied to difficulty levels and use T16 drop rates as their example. On T1 the drop rates are actually still quite reasonable.

Yes, on higher levels loot will start raining. Even then more than 99% of it is still instasalvage. So even if one acquires gear to run T16 content and higher GRs efficiently, he hasn’t reached full potential yet. Perfecting gear and build requires grinding, grinding and even more grinding.

So why does it rain loot? Simple: drop rates tied to difficulty levels, ridiculous amount of power creep and more difficulty levels added over the years. Way back during RoS lauch era one could do only early torments with reasonable efficiency. Then the buffs started, bufff after buff after buff after buff after buff after buff after buff after buff after buff… You get the idea. And the drop rates climbed as people were able to do higher and higher difficulty content.

Had the general power level stayed at RoS lauch era levels or even a tad higher, absolutely no one would moan about loot rain.

I blame only one thing: power creep.

2 Likes

You may find this helpful…
https://d3resource.com/difficulties/index.php
As an example, compare the legendary drop rate in rifts between 25% in Normal difficulty and 1760% in Torment 16. When you get your 2nd and 3rd Haedrig’s Gifts (for completing Chapters 3 and 4 of the Season Journey) your power and survivability will be massively improved, allowing you to play at higher difficulties, and you’ll get a lot more loot.

3 Likes

Kirottu is correct. For example, you don’t even have a 100% chance to get a Legendary item from a Bounty Cache until Torment VI (T6). At T13, 2 Legendary items can drop from Bounty Caches. At T16 you have an 80% chance to get 3 Legendary items. And that’s just the Bounty-specific Legendary items. There’s also a chance of getting random Legendary items.

Then, there are Rifts, where the percent chance of getting Legendary items is higher at all Game Difficulties.

You might want to check out D3 Resource: Difficulty Overview for detailed information.

(Oops, Meteorblade beat me)

2 Likes

Uh that monster numbers look a bit… excessive. I am at the moment in season journey 4. T2 is hard but doable. To finish journey 4 i need to kill some bosses in T4. Guess i’ll just have to farm some more paragon with bounty / rifts till im able to do that?

Some things to consider:

• This week’s Challenge Rift is fairly easy. If you complete this successfully you can pick up a decent chunk of currency.

• Concentrate on Bounties. If you plan on fully completing the Season, you’ll need 40 of each Act Mat just for that. (Extracting 40 Legendary Powers – Make sure 3 of them are for the build you wish to play).

• Early on, you can run the occasional Rift for XP and loot. Plus, you need them for Season Objectives. Later, you can grind Rifts for Keystones and then push Greater Rifts for Legendary Gems, XP and Gem upgrades.

• Don’t forget about crafted items. (The Level 70 crafted items require Bounty Mats too). You’re already Level 70. Grind Act I Bounties until you get a Ring of Royal Grandeur. If it’s not Ancient, extract it and equip it in Kanai’s Cube. If you’ve found the Plan: Captain Crimson’s Trimmings, craft the Belt and Pants to get the full Set bonuses. Other crafted Sets include Aughild’s Authority (Shoulders and Bracers since you already have 4 Natalya’s pieces).

• You have empty Sockets. Fill them with the highest quality Gems you have. A Diamond in the Helm will increase your Cooldown Reduction. Emeralds in your Armor will increase your Damage or Diamonds for Resist All. Put Emeralds in your Jewelry for added Damage (Demon Hunter). You’ll also want Emeralds in your Weapon(s) when you get some with a Socket. (You can’t Enchant an Ethereal item. Don’t Enchant your Helltrapper. And don’t waste a Ramaladni’s Gift on them. Wait until you get decent build Weapons).

That should get you started. Once you’ve completed Chapter IV and you have your full Set, you can concentrate on farming items for a Set you prefer and the support items.

P.S. Don’t forget to equip some Cube Powers. Yours are currently empty. Anything would be better than nothing.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps alot :grin:

1 Like

Tip:

When you feel the Game Difficulty you’re currently on is becoming too easy, leave the game and bump it up to the next Level. So, if you’re currently on T2, set it to T3 and run a couple of Nephalem Rifts.

If that is still relatively easy, leave the game and set it to T4. Run a couple of Rifts. Doing this will do a couple of things for you:

1. It will allow you to start collecting a few Greater Rift Keystones.
  2. It opens up higher Greater Rift Levels for you.

If you can run T4 Rifts relatively easy, start running Greater Rifts. Begin at GR13. This will get you a Legendary Gem, which you can upgrade to Rank 4 at 100%. Run the next Greater Rift at Level 17. If your second Legendary Gem is one you plan to use, you can level it up to Rank 4 at 100%. If it is not one you will use, you will still be able to level your first LGem from Rank 4 to Rank 8 at 100%. (GR17 is equal to T3).

If you get that far, leave the game and set it for T5. Run a few Rifts. If you are comfortable there, you can run GR21, which is equal to T4. Just keep doing that until you’re fully geared and have all three of your Legendary Gems. You’ll want to get them to Rank 25 as soon as possible, to get both Powers on them activated.

(Running GR34 is the minimum you can do to level LGems to 25 at 100% chance. GR34 is equal to T7).

At this point, you should be able to check your Season Journey and start knocking out the Objectives with little difficulty.

(Season 24’s Theme of collecting all of the Ethereal Weapons is another story.   )
Good luck and good hunting!  

Depends on class and set. Some of them, with only 2 pieces, become vastly more powerful. If you’ve been lucky and have 4 pieces, or even the whole thing, you should be able to take on T6 but very likely T8 or even T10. Gear quality and your understanding the class/set are critical there. Even if you had the best stuff ever, but played like me, you wouldn’t survive T16.

At T16, legendaries are dropping like crazy. But, most of the time, they’re not what you need. Here’s the thing: higher level difficulties require specific builds. There’s not a lot of variety regarding these optimized builds. And thus, there are only a handful of legendaries that are actually useful in higher tiers.

And then, after you complete your build, you would need to upgrade each component to their respective Ancient version (and Primal, if you could). That would require a lot more grinding because, take this, Ancients can drop with useless rolls. You would go “Horray!” seeing an Ancient drops, then go “WTF!” when you look at its stats.

So, “drops raining from the sky”, true. It’s just, most of the time, it’s raining frogs.