Doom/ambo ww/rend build

Was just curious if any of the barbarian enthusiasts have tried pushing with using doombringer/ambos and furnace in cube.

I recently had a primal doombringer drop and had an ancient ambos in the stash so I equipped them, put the furnace in the cube, then gave a 110 gr a whirl. I successfully did it with relative ease only noticing being more squishy than using slander/rogue setup.

Glancing through the LB and of course all I came across was slander/rogue with some BK mixed in. Was just curious to see if this combo is even being pushed to its limits or if it’s just being bypassed in favor of the normal sets being used/less squishy.

This is discussed in the stickied Rend guide. It’s a viable option, but can run into Fury problems depending on which WW rune you choose. Generally not recommended over the IB set, and never recommended for low-Paragon (sub 5K) players.

2 Likes

Thank. I know it’s discussed in the guide, was just wondering if anyone is actually trying to push with it instead of the IB as I haven’t seen any.

Yeah, not many players opt for Ambo’s + Doom. You lose out on the multiplicative damage and attack speed bonuses from Istvan’s, so you deal less base damage and have fewer Zodiac procs. You also lose out on the Armor bonus, which is pretty hefty as you push higher and higher.

On the flip side, you could potentially slot Furnace in the Cube for more elite damage, though that’s hardly worthwhile. The real allure to the combo is in taking Bloodfunnel and Into the Fray, which gives you better healing than Swords to Ploughs and tons of damage in density (since CHC acts as a multiplier to Rend’s damage). Of course, that also means relying on incoming damage and Weapons Master for Fury generation, and vs RGs, that can be very iffy.

1 Like

Makes since, thanks! I was kinda hurting on wrath cool down with the combo on the 110 I did with it. Had to get CDR on one of the weapons to make for it.

I am going to try it again though in grouping with my buddies and putting the executioner in the cube instead of the furnace and putting in RoRG instead of CoE to wear stone/Ice boots. Figured might be fun seeing the mechanic of killing anything under 10% health work.

Well, both weapons should have CDR and AD. That’s required regardless of which weapon set/combo you’re running. Not sure why you’d bother with Ice Climbers or Stone Gauntlets, though. If you’re running the Core build and have perma-Wrath, you can’t be CCed and you have more toughness than you’ll need, especially if someone else brings any sort of group buff to the table.

COE >>> RoRG

Well if I can keep up perma then yeah, there’s no need for ice climbers but if I use stone gauntlets and run out of the buff at some point…I would be stuck until I could cast it again. I guess I just figured it was a safe guard using ambos/doom with executioner in cube but your right…would be best to to make sure I have enough CDR with the build to keep it permenant.

Yeah, I mean, taking 2 items to do the work of a few CDR rolls? That’s really inefficient, Grim.

The build doesn’t need SG or IC, and it doesn’t need RoRG. Just lock down the necessary CDR rolls and keep perma-Wrath going all the time (or at least whenever there’s a chance you could take damage).