Don't Ruin Runewords!

How would you guys feel about a hybrid of the two systems. Maybe the most powerful runewords could be more diablo 2 style where you must find all of them and socket them in the right order. Then there could be also be some activator and effect runewords which are lesser runewords but is a step toward the more powerful ones?

I was so excited too when I seen the Runes in demo then was like… after they explained how they worked It’s a childish concept atm and I hope it changes preferably old school.

2 Likes

I actually think the new system looks interesting. They work in conjunction with existing magic items and will provide clearly powerful bonuses. It also looks much more intuitive.

The old rune word system required someone to datamine what words existed and then put that information on the internet. People had to go find that information on the internet in order to know what words existed. They likely then had to trade for the runes and the item with the correct sockets to get the runeword item. The whole process was clunky and annoying. Some people I’m sure enjoyed it but I personally never got super into the runeword chase. I played the crap out of that game but never saw those ultra rare runes even though every season I saved every rune ever and upgraded them constantly. It was a chase mechanic that honestly wasn’t that fun to me. Were the items cool? Of course. Some of them were too good though. There was one item that gave its owner the ability to be a sorceress and teleport around. Another basically made barbarians pointless by giving its user various shouts. Some of the runes were so impossibly rare that there was no reasonable way to get one without cheating unless you were absurdly lucky.

At any rate, I’m willing to give the new system a shot. I thought what was shown at Blizzcon showed promise.

1 Like

Actually what’s wrong with overpowered runewords ?
The D3 meta uses overpowered set items to make the grade and treat most regular legendary as garbage or cube food.

And considering how difficult runes are found (i only legit found a Lo and Jah), Runewords deserve the power it gets. Who cares if we have things like Pride or Enigma running around ? If you found the runes, you deserve it.

And I would prefer it that way rather than runes dropping as often as Blackthornes but stuck with underpowered / weak runewords.

Well we don’t really know enough to say they’re underpowered / weak. I wasn’t saying that them being overpowered was the issue, the argument I was making was that some of them were infringing on what made other classes unique. I’m fine with runewords being strong, even build defining. That being said, they were so rare that you couldn’t realistically expect to legitimately find one or even be able to trade for one in a season. Cheating was so prevalent in d2 that it somewhat trivialized the system making runes way too prevalent. Assuming we remove cheating from the equation, making these ultrarare runewords would be near impossible.

I guess my only argument is we don’t even know enough to critique the system yet. It also isn’t finalized. I also think there is a lot of D2 nostalgia that blizzard has to go up against. I for one don’t want D4 to be just like D2. It’s nice that they’re returning to the grittier / darker themes but I don’t think they need to recycle every system. D2 remastered is probably on its way. We don’t need two identical games.

D4 runesystem actually looks interesting to me and I’m excited to see what comes of it. Adding powerful runewords to otherwise already powerful items looks unique and intertesting.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that the concept of the condition/effect system is interesting, but the point I’m continually trying to make is that there’s absolutely NO reason this system has to use runes. Runewords come with expectations for long time fans, and you’re right, they are up against a lot of nostalgia, so why would they not take advantage of that, rather than work against it?

Just call the current idea something else, or port it into jewels or gems, it will work the exact same way. Keep the runeword system true at its core, while also expanding and iterating on it. The current idea is not iterating on the original system, it’s just a completely different concept, and I think that’s a careless way to handle runewords.

2 Likes

This is exactly the problem. D2 players unreasonable emotinal connection to runewords. I don’t mean to insult anyone here, I played D2 most out of any diablo games myself and they we cool.

What I am after here, is that we are simply renaming it, and bringing the UI to this decade. Nothing else.

The stuff we need to collect is not important. Be they “Demon eye”, “Ethereal dust”, “Mal-rune” “Shael-rune”. It is exactly the same system. You click the item you want to create, it lists you all the ingredients needed. Bang, create item!

Making it a crafting systems just removes all that useless clutter from your stash, and the stupid part of actually misclickin something in your inventory. I believe most people who played D2 for a long time, accidentally socketed something wrong when arranging stuff in their stash.

Further, I would like Blizzard to make normal socketed items crafting materials!! Get those away from my stash. Nobody uses them untill they have the required runes or ingredients to use them. Totally useless housekeeping.

And I argue that the socketed item isn’t even mandatory to run the system, it’s just one more component to the item you wish to make.

Blizz removed gold from your invetory in D2, and it was simply a good thing. Now just finish the job that was done lazily in D2.

1 Like

Thats what made Diablo 2 items great though. If uniques are the best items in the game then every character is going to end up exactly the same which is very boring. Finding a godly rare in Diablo 2 is so exciting and I honestly haven’t experienced anything like it in other games.

For real. Just give base (white) items 1-6 sockets and give us some awesome runewords. Runeword items are hardly any different than legendary items its just a way to target specific legendaries which is awesome for solo players. This isn’t that far off from upgrading a rare item in D3 to a legendary item.

Amen-Ra is the origin of that word, in case you had ever wondered.

1 Like

Marketing and dev departments realize it will be very difficult to appease the veterans who’d know better.
Their target audience aren’t the veteran D2 players, but the younger demographic who wouldn’t know any different.

EZPZ mode for greater profitability.

So say they all.

They better fix it otherwise I’ll stick to Path of VexOhmIstDol

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

1 Like

At least some around here is the LemKoElEld.

Simple:
Remove ancient legendaries/ancient sets. Or better: make them really hard to get for example just by crafting really hard to get materials into the basic found legendaries/sets.
Make some runes hard to get, like starting at endgame/pre-endgame.
Keep old D2 Runeword System/Expand it/Improve it/balance it
Make runeword items strenght go between magic/rare/set/legendary/mythic
Import D4 demo “runewords” systen into another system, like effect/condition gems (with more sockets and triggers).
Jewels could could come as they were in D2 they were some great magic jewels and unique facets that helped on custom builds.
Profit.

Yeah this doesn’t have to be difficult, its simply collecting and combining 2-6 runes for a legendary/unique set of attributes.

They can even make some of the rune words produce legendary skill modifiers and other stuff.

The whole “use a potion to activate next rune, you now 5% more crit” its lame.

They should reserve what they showed at blizzcon for something like jewels.

1 Like

My take on runewords, build-your-own runewords, basically:

• White items can have up to 3 sockets.
  • Blue items can have up to 2 sockets.
  • Rare and up one socket only (can’t make runewords).
  • Each rune has an effect;
  • Each sequential rune pair on an item has an effect.

Example:

• 3 socket white armor;
  • “A” rune with fire resistance;
  • “B” rune with cold resistance;
  • “C” rune with increased defense;

Let’s say I add them in ABC order on my armor, my item would become:

• Fire resistance (from A)
  • Cold resistance (from B)
  • Increased armor (from C)
  • Half frozen duration (From AB)
  • Chance to cast ice nova when struck (From BC)

Another example:

• 2 socketed weapon with increased damage;
  • “D” rune with life gain on kill;
  • “E” rune with resource gain on kill;

Adding both to the item, it gets:

• Increased damage (from the item);
  • Life gain on kill (from D)
  • Resource gain on kill (from E)
  • Monsters rest in peace (from DE)

Just thought the idea was cool while also adding usability for the lower rarities of items.

1 Like

D4 runewords have nearly nothing in common with d2 runewords
its just a mechanik that is taken over from path of exile, reduced to 2 sockets, and called “runewords”
come on blizzard u can do better

3 Likes

I don’t agree that runewords should be exactly like d2’s.
As Llama said, what matters is diversity of the items, where a lower class type (blue) has a small chance to beat a superior classtype (rare), and so on and so forth with green and uniques.

Runewords can be built in a different way.
I love D2’s runewords but I their new runeword system is convincing for me. More creativity.

Because critical hit chance and critical hit damage are creative right? You have no clue what you are talking about.

1 Like