Don't respond to pm asking for carry: People are abusing the report feature

In the communities, I advertised “lazy sader/rend lfg” which translate to “lazy crusader or rend barbarian looking for game”.

I get a pm saying “wanna do some 125 carries?” so I was thinking hey this guy wants to carry my lazy self. Then he put me on the spot saying “paragon 3952 asking for carries?” When I explained that I advertised “lazy sader/rend lfg” and that lazy people don’t carry. I got reported and muted for 7 days… this is a clear abuse of the report feature. Just because I didn’t carry him, he was irrationally overthinking things, and he didn’t have good reading comprehesion, I had my account muted. Getting muted also means you can’t join private games and there’s a party leader bug with joining public games. After my last pm, I blocked him because he was just wasting my time. Now I can’t chat or play. How is that fair?

I mean I would understand if I was calling people names or talking about their family/relatives, but I didn’t do any of it… So yeah, just don’t respond to these con artists. It’s a trap.

Here is the full chat: imgur com/a/jmMhOgF

2 Likes

you kind of deserve it for carrying on the conversation. Literally should have just walked away after you noticed the confusion. Lesson learned i hope.

3 Likes

This is why I will never spend money on a Blizzard game again. Playing is a privilege, not a right (even though you spent money to play), and your playing privileges are at the mercy of mob rule.

2 Likes

you bought an online multiplayer game, not a single player game. follow the tos. tos says dont be a toxic bologna sandwich brain.

Also, TC open an appeal ticket… you’ll likely win if what you are saying is actually true. For all we know you might have blasted the guy after that spiel.

Something doesnt make sense, can someone get muted from 1 report? Maybe you were reported a few times already, to you your actions may not be offensive but to other it may look different. I think you were constantly showing bad attitude towards other players and this one finally met the max count needed for the mute. Can someone confirm if you can get muted just from 1 report?

I understand the stress about the “mute is also a ban” right now cause of a bug which sucks.

It probably wasn’t just 1 report, but they can get their friends or their other accounts to do it too.

Regardless of the history, do you feel I was being abusive in this situation?

This situation? No, I dont believe you deserve a report count for what happened to you here. Hope somehow you can get this resolve sooner than the 7 days. Good luck out there.

Damn. That sux. I knew carrying was bad for the game and now here is one aspect (previously unknown to me) that is clearly a problem.

I pretty much solo this game. I think I’ll keep it that way.

Blame the victim. I like this logic.

5 Likes

“victim” :laughing: .

1 Like

No. Just no. One report won’t get you auto squelched via the spam feature. It will eventually get you looked at by GM and maybe Silenced. It can take days for that to happen if it is only a few reports.

The friends can’t report you if they are not on the same chat stream. To report you have to right click the line of chat. If they did not see it, they can’t report it.

Also …7 days means you have multiple Silence penalties. It doubles each time you get one. So this is not your first.

If you did nothing wrong, appeal it.

I can’t see your chat logs, but whatever it is, don’t let anyone ever troll you enough to get you angry. You control what your fingers type. Don’t let someone else make you mad enough to be a jerk.

12 Likes

I had this account since D3 launched. So yes, I’ve previously been muted. I posted the chat log in my first post. Do you feel that I was being abusive in this situation?

Also, I don’t feel that a GM looked over the chat, since it happened instantly. They didn’t get me with the spam feature. It was abusive chat. “Silence penalties” don’t double each time, the penalty increases each time, but it certainly doesn’t double. It starts from 1 day to 3 day to 7 day to 30 days…

I’m able to report people on my friends list for spam/abusive chat by looking at the list. So I think people are able to get their friends or other accounts to report you by pm’ing the name.

Yes, I’ve already appealed it, but since it’s New Years, I doubt someone would respond in a timely manner.

Are you 100% certain about what you’re telling us?

2 Likes

Great. The report feature attaches chat logs. It takes seconds to see if the reported chat violates the rules. They don’t care if someone else made you angry. YOU are still responsible for your actions.

What you quoted is not necessarily the reported text. As I said, it can take a few days to get a GM review for minor infractions.

Yes it does. If you follow the CS forums for the WOW forums you can get more info on the general system. Example

Edit
Chart based on the concept of the first being 24 hours.

Number Hours Days Years
1 24 1
2 48 2
3 96 4
4 192 8
5 384 16
6 768 32
7 1536 64
8 3072 128
9 6144 256
10 12288 512 1.4
11 24576 1024 2.8
12 49152 2048 5.6
13 98304 4096 11.2
14 196608 8192 22.4
15 393216 16384 44.9
16 786432 32768 89.8
1 Like

Fixed your link: https://i.imgur.com/YyUPg7T.png

Here’s the image:

As soon as they said:

Sorry you misunderstood. gl with your search.

You should have stopped right there. Or just ended by saying: “Okay, thanks anyway.”

5 Likes

i got a feeling this guys chat logs are the reason most people avoid public chat.

they always come crying on the forums about how they are the most innocent honorable honest player ever and how unfair their punishment is…

2 Likes

Looks like you 100% deserved it.

You antagonized and continued to poke this person.

You’re actually what’s wrong in the community. Not them.

3 Likes

You really think the op deserved to be actioned for that exchange?

To all the people who think the op deserved to be actioned for that exchange… Wow, just wow.

13 Likes

This reads like everyone is from planet warm fuzzy, where we all get trophies for getting out of the house by noon. The OP didn’t say anything offensive in the chat submitted above. While I do realize these things are a matters of perception and thus are subject to individuals’ opinions, these are not grounds to suspend common sense and dismiss our ability to reason. Sarcasm is not an attack on ones character, the OP did not call the ummmm Gentleperson “lazy”, no profanity, no directed slurs, are we really supposed to just walk on eggshells with no interaction when a good windup is there with no potential for harm? People need to grow some skin, if this was insulting the person the OP was chatting with has had an incredibly privileged life and one of these days that bubble is going to explode hahahahaha.

15 Likes

I can’t believe Blizzard silences people so easily nowadays. Looking at this conversation, you shouldn’t have been muted at all.

They need to stop trying to make their games so kid-friendly though. Just let people be adults and mute people in game on their own. You don’t need to completely squelch someone to where they can’t talk to anyone. Let individuals mute someone if they do not want to interact with them because they feel they are toxic or whatever. A little trash talking is part of competitive games.

9 Likes

Personally, I see the initial exchange as a simple misunderstanding where both parties think the other is offering the boost when, in fact, they are both asking for one. That should have been an end to it. Not sure why they both continued after that point.

Anyway, even though it didn’t actually happen in this case, would saying someone else was lazy in chat be considered an actionable offence these days? Is that how trivially someone’s feelings need to be hurt in order to get someone muted / banned?

11 Likes