Dont make Diablo 4 to simple pls

and sold as good, i hope it.

Except that argument falls apart after the first week when the D2 lovers went rager online about it being garbage and the game continued to sell, and sold 10M+ on consoles. Sure the initial sales were all it’s a ew Diablo/Blizzard game and the goodwill of what came before. But moments after launch it was apparent how different it was and how upset the D2 community was.

Think you missed crushing blow?!

Na, i was a D2 fan, and i bought the game 3 months after release, solely because of my memories of D2 and blizzard fandom.

The number of people at that point that would have been buying it would be very small though, and even if we were to discredit all 2012 sales that’s still 18 million which is not even counting the last 5 years of sales.

On top of the fact that the game had 1 million unique players each day in 2013.

You want us to believe that Diablo 2 fans that hated the game kept buying and playing the game for years after the fact despite that they hated it?

Because that doesn’t exactly make them look very smart. Maybe Diablo 4 should be simplified if that’s the case =P

And D3 easily outsold D2 2X-8X depending on which source is official. Easily millions of people who never touched D2 played D3.

i remember a post from a blue when d3 was sorta new.
their response for the way the mechanics work
was because
“too much math”.

Take that into consideration while we wait for diablo 4.

To be fair to Diablo 2’s sales numbers, the last official count we have is from 2001 which makes it hilariously out of date. Especially considering the game was appearing on best seller lists in 2010.

Of course like I noted above even Diablo 3’s stats are 5 years out of date, which makes the whole argument about sales numbers kind of silly to be honest. Nobody has any concrete modern day numbers for 2020.

That said I’m sure there are a lot of people who played Diablo 3 and not the earlier 2 games.

Yeah, my guesstimate was that 1/3 of the units sold fit that category. So I would be in agreement with that statement.

per wikipedia, d2 sold 4 million by june 2001, and in 2008 it was still the 19th best selling pc game of the year, 7 years after its release. So say that 8 million copies were sold before D3 was released. To top it all off, this isn’t considering the number of people pirated it. This is where it get really foggy, but if you assume 1 pirated copy for every legitimate copy then I’d guess that 16 million players were exposed to D2. That is 1/2 the lifetime sales of D3, so i don’t think my assertion is too unreasonable.

Not all D2 fans will hate D3. I just think you are grossly underestimating the number of D2 fans, and people aren’t all necessarily watching countdown timers for release dates. Memories from D2 are free marketing for blizzard. Someone can be reminded of their time with D2 of their own accord, do a simple internet search, and just buy it long after release.

Not all of them will hate it, but plenty of them will which massively cuts down on the number that would be willing to rebuy it unless they’re idiots who like throwing money at things they hate.

People aren’t always watching countdown timers for release, but as time goes on it becomes fewer and fewer D2 fans who don’t know that D3 exists.

It’s also worth noting that not every sale is a unique player for either D2 or D3, as some people will rebuy the game. Especially when they re-release it on another platform.

So your number of 8 million D2 sales, which is more or less a made up number anyway, doesn’t mean 8 million people exposed to Diablo 2. Same goes for your 50% piracy rate: Not only a made up number, but not every pirated copy was somebody who didn’t buy the game.

What we do know is that Diablo 3 continued selling pretty well even after it was common knowledge and anybody doing a basic internet search would figure out that the game was nothing like Diablo 2.

I’m not sure about that. D2 and D3 have more similarities than differences. Hindsight is 20-20 though, and it is easier to see now what key characteristics in D2 which were missing from D3.

We’re also talking about people who are doing an internet search on Diablo 3 well after the game came out, so they have the benefit of that 20-20 hindsight.

There’s not going to be a significant portion of people buying D3 who can’t find that information.

Sure but they don’t personally know what made a D2 memorable experience. They may go in thinking D2 was simply a monster slaying loot game, and that is what D3 is. Don’t forget that D3 was carefully designed to get D2 players to buy it while also broadening its appeal to the casual crowd. It is still an easy trap to fall into even today.

Hate to see them make the EXACT same mistake they made with Diablo 3… catering to the Diablo 3 / console / 10 year olds fanbase was what put us in this position in the first place.

As opposed to the simple one button/option spam playstyles that were perfectly viable to beat both D1 and D2. Quit acting as if D2 was difficult.

My point isn’t about if Diablo 3 could trick Diablo 2 players into buying it while appealing to a wider audience or not.

It’s that after the first little bit after the release window of Diablo 3, the number of D2 players who would be buying D3 purely because it has the Diablo name on it is going to significantly drop off.

and we know that Diablo 3 has continued to sell quite well at least up until 2015 when the 30 million sales stat was reported.

Maybe D2 fans make up 2/3 of the sales because they thought Diablo 3 was a good game so they kept buying it for years after the fact whenever it was released on a new platform, who knows.

I’m not sure the “D4 needs to be like D2” advocates around here would want to argue that the majority of the D2 fanbase thought D3 was a good game, though.

I definitely did buy it, just because of the name and well, because its an AAA h’n’s arpg, which is pretty rare

But way more than just 8 times more people play games nowadays… so the success of D2 was much greater if you relate them fairly

You haven’t played D2 for years, have you? It is super hard to even beat it once on hell…

It is hard to make that comparison though.
There are seemingly also a lot more than 8 times as many games being released these days. In the 90’s, I am sure a much larger percentage of the total population that played games, played the big titles. Today the market is a lot more fragmented.