Dont make Diablo 4 to simple pls

Revieving the Blizzcon demo it seems that Diablo 4 will be even more simple and casual than Diablo 3.

I know nothing is final and surely will change so this concerns to the current D4 build.

• Attack & Defense: Instead of AS, CC, CD, Res, Armor, Life, etc…we get simplified stats called attack and defense…rly hope that this system isn’t set in stone and we get more attribute complexity here to finetune our builds.

• Runewords: Only combining 2 runes (trigger + effect) to get a medicore effect doesen’t look that satisfying.
    Here I could imagine something like the Azerite armor wheel in WOW…means if you combine Runes to a certain word you get a specific wheel with 5 rings where you can chose 1 point in every ring.
    F.e. the runeword “IlElEth (Malice)” would unlocks a DOT talent ring if you want to go the bleeding/poison way with your build.
    The abilitys in the ring would be major upgrades to your prefered playstile.
    Ofc words with more rare runes give stronger abilitys in this wheel.

• Talent tree: Only 2 lines (wizard 3) where you can chose only 1 major point at the end.
    This can have a lot more complexity than only 2 (3) lines to follow…not that complex like POE but a middle way would be nice here.

• World bosses: What I’ve seen so far it looks like a random button mashing fest with other players, no real tactic required to beat the worldboss.
    Suggestion: Like with the Dungeon keys you could create a “world boss banner”.
    Same philosophy, you stick the banner in front of the boss and depend to the banner LVL he becomes harder, has higher level, gets new affixes, new unique attacks, resistance to certain DMG types, even 1 shot mechanics to dodge (ofc doable bcs of HC player), etc…(but pls not much more life, make it primary harder through mechanics and not through a sponge life bar)

Dont worry Blizzard, your audience can handle a more complex game so don’t be afraid to jump over your shadow. :slight_smile:

Nowdays we have 3 types of player:

1. The Veterans: People like me who play Diablo since hour 1, played the hell out of Diablo 2 and ofc dont miss any game in this genre.

2. The younger generation: Those player are literaly born with a smartphone in theyr hand and I think that they have even wires instead veins how much they play games.

3. The casual players: People who play 4-5 hours/week…They buy the game, play the story 2-3 times, try a lil bit multiplayer and thats it.

You dont have to create a game around the 3rd audience bcs they won’t go deep enough into the game to say that it’s “to complex”.
If you ask them what build/set they play they will probably answere “I’ve beaten the endboss and finished the game”. (Have many friends who gave me exactly this answere)

And the first 2 are the Core audience who dont stop after “beating the endboss”.
They keep playing 100ts or even 1000ts of hours, can handle more complexity but have to live with the simplicity if the game is to easy/simple (And this is also the major audience who buy expansions for this kind of games btw).

WIth Diablo 3 we have/had a game for the 3rd audience…I hope that Diablo 4 will be a game more for the first 2.

Let it be a true “easy to learn, hard to master” game for your core audience pls.

Ty
CroDanZ

16 Likes

The problem is they cater to the non ARPG player base as they did with D3. Big mistake.

Imagine the incredible depth of PoE combined with the lore from Diablo…that would be a true sequel for this ARPG defining franchise.

10 Likes

Could not agree more with the overly simplified attack/defense stats, runewords, and talent trees. It essentially removes any actual choice/decisions. As a result, casual players aren’t intimidated by choice (hooray…) and the people who actually love the series and will spend the most time playing it are denied key components of what made D2 so great.

6 Likes

Everything in this post is

Make Diablo 4 like Diablo 3 with a touch of BFA

How about they make an actual Diablo game which means they iterate on systems from Diablo and Diablo 2 rather than ruining the game just so they can cater to what’s likely <0.1% of the Diablo fan base.

1 Like

Not even close, but OK. ^^

And the example with WOW was only how the wheel could look like, didn’t say that is has to be 1:1 like in WOW…wanted only to describe the look of the wheel.

If Blizzard makes a square instead of a circle I would also be fine with it as long as it has more depth as the current runeword system. :wink:

We still have almost all those stats you said D4 doesn’t have. Atack and Defense replace only Main Stat(Str, Dex, Int) Vitality, and maybe weapon damage.

Atack speed is still in. CC and maybe CD are still in, etc. Plus we got new things like +Skill afixes and all that.

Oh ok, good to know…at the Blizzcon Demo it looked like that “Attack” + “Defense” will replace all those attributes.

But thanks for the information…very excited to see how it turns out at the end. :slight_smile:

Here’s a list of all the afixes shown in the demo:
Regular Affixes:

Defensive:

• x Max Life.
  • x% Damage Reduction.
  • x% Dodge Chance.
  • x% Damage Reduction from Enemies within Melee Range.
  • x% Damage Reduction from Enemies out of Melee Range.
  • x% Fire Resistance
  • x% Lightning Resistance
  • x% Cold Resistance
  • x% Poison Resistance
  • x% Reduced Damage from Elites, Bosses, and Players
  • x% Reduced Duration of Enemy Control Impairing Effects

Offensive:

• x% Attack Speed.
  • x% Critical Strike Chance.
  • x% Critical Strike Damage.
  • x% Increased Duration of Control Impairing effects.
  • x% Damage.
  • x% Physical Damage.
  • x% Damage to Stunned Targets.
  • x% Damage to Immobilized Targets.
  • x% Damage to Vulnerable Targets.
  • x% Damage to Enemies in Melee Range.
  • x% Damage to Enemies out of Melee Range.
  • x% Damage to Slowed Targets
  • x% Increased Damage against Elites
  • x% Fire Damage
  • x% Cold Damage
  • x% Lightning Damage
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Slow
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Slow on Crit
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Stun
  • Hit Effect: Up to x% Chance to Stun on Crit

Resource Management:

• +x Maximum Mana (Sorcerer Only)
  • +x Maximum Fury (Barbarian Only)
  • x% reduced Fury cost for skills (Barbarian Only)
  • x% reduced Spirit cost for skills (Druid Only)
  • x% reduced Mana cost for skills (Sorcerer Only)

Other:

• x% Cooldown Reduction
  • x% Movement Speed
  • x% increased movement speed for 6 seconds on Elite kill
  • +x rank to (insert skill here)

Legendary Affixes:

• Your physical attacks Chill enemies. Enemies who are chilled enough times become Frozen
  • Hit Effect: Your attacks have up to x% chance to spawn a hydra that will aid you in combat
  • Lightning strikes a nearby enemy dealing x damage whenever you shapeshift
  • +x to your equipped skills
  • Fireball launches 3 projectiles that deal x% of normal damage
  • Lightning Traps periodically appear around you dealing x damage after 2 seconds to nearby enemies
  • Upheaval ignites the ground burning enemies for an additional x damage of 3 seconds
  • Weapon mastery skills have an additional charge.
  • Cut to the Bone talent activates against enemies that are hit by your shouts instead of stuns
  • Critical strike chance increased by x% against bleeding enemies.
  • Your shouts generate x Fury per second while active.
  • Cast Nova at your Teleport location
  • Teleport moves you to a random location and costs x mana instead of having a cooldown.
  • Teleport grants a barrier that absorbs x% of your maximum life for 15 seconds.
  • Teleport forms a rift in your path that increases your critical strike chance by x% for 5 seconds.
1 Like

seems I missed that, thanks for the list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t blame you tbh. Those stats didn’t really stand out on itens (besides the legendary ones) and Attack and Defense are written in a much larger font. And at least in the demo they didn’t have a panel with all the stats you character has like we have here in D3.

At first I was afraid too, but after carefuly watching more than 2 hours of gameplay from Blizzcon I noticed those other afixes on itens.

the game is targeted to an adult audience so I’m hoping they’re not trying to cater to the younger audience again.

Wanted to add: complexity in a game is partly achieved through suggestions in this thread regarding stat depth etc., but it is largely achieved through complex game play.

Let’s be clear: make another game with something like ‘press 3, pause, left mouse click, pause, press 3, pause’ where characters vault forward, and with one left mouse click annihilate a whole screen - it’s just going to be a bot fest.

The more mindless the gameplay is the more it’ll be botted. This is Blizzard’s chance to make it much harder for botters, finally. Else…

1 Like

I think this one guarantees that we get an Assassiner as one of the first five characters.

actually the “attack and defense” dont replace many affixes, they only replace the mainstats “dex, str, vit, int” from d3, which were BS aswell but also somehow…mix into main equipment stats (weapons ALWAYS had attack, armors ALWAYS had defense) so it somehow doesnt make sence at all and they got rid of attributes, completely, which is also terrible

This is exactly what I want :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have many non ARPG player friends, in RL and in all my guilds.

Half of them are as described player who play the story and thats it, maybe few hours multiplayer and go back to theyr prefered genre (MMO, Shooter, etc…)

And the other half will never touch games like Diablo, not even for free (I often offer them to buy the game with all expansions but they dont want).

So yes you’re right, it’s a big mistake to build a game around this kind of audience. :wink:

Attack and Defense are replacing Mainstat and general Toughness from D3. Other stats aside still exist on items. Other than that discrepancy, though, I agree.

These are just DR under Condition

More awful shiet.

Makes no sense.

Increased dmg vs Condition… :sleeping:

:sleeping:

:sleeping:

Has no place in a Diablo game.

Why doesn’t it make any sense :smiley:

As in a good thing?

Which stats are you missing? (I know the answer, but I am interested none the less)

No? it’s the most bland, boring filler shiet I’ve ever seen. They basically took a single +Dmg mod and turned it into +Dmg vs Condition which is just dumb. They’re trying to make CC make more sense in the game but it isn’t making sense at all…

You can have a certain amount of CC in a game but when you’re adding a ton of them just so your CC reduction and CC breaks has a reason for existing it just falls apart.

The game has no depth at all…