Disconnecting From diablo 3 after getting a new wireless internet adapter

I recently had to get a new wireless internet adapter because my old one was dying. After getting my new one and installing its drivers I can log into Diablo 3 but I can not start a game. After clicking start game it goes into the loading screen then I get booted back to the main menu with the message, “The game connection has been lost: your client has been disconnected from the server.” I have tried rebooting my router, flushing my DNS, uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers and checking for windows updates. My old internet adapter is a Linksys AC1200 USB Adapter, Model# WUSB6300, my new one is a Trendnet AC1900 USB adapter, Model# TEW-809UB. When I switch back to my old adapter I can get in a game just fine its just very laggy.

Hey there,

We can’t officially troubleshoot wireless connections, just because they are prone to more issues than a standard wired ethernet connection. I might have an idea that you can try though.

It sounds like the issue could be with the router that’s broadcasting the wifi signal, if one adapter is lagging and the new one is disconnecting. When using the new wifi adapter have you tried connecting to both wifi bands (2.4ghz and 5ghz) to see if one works better than the other, as long as your router supports both? Depending on the physical setup and router that you’re using it could be that the current wifi band you’re connecting to is being affected by wireless interference which could cause a disconnect.

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you for the quick response! I tried both bands (2.4ghz and 5ghz) and on both I would still get disconnected. I also tried out a few other online games and was able to play without any problems on my new adapter using my computer. I took my new adapter to a friends house and I could connect to a Diablo 3 game just fine using their computer and internet. I appreciate any advice possible though I understand if their isn’t any good way to know what is happening due to the finicky nature of wireless connections.

Howdy DoubleHeresy,

It sounds like it could be a power setting on the computer:

1. Press the Windows key and type power
  2. Select Power and Sleep settings
  3. Click Additional Power settings
  4. Set the option to High Performance (if you don’t see this option click the arrow at the bottom or choose Create a Plan on the left)
  5. Click Change advanced power settings
  6. Find the Wireless Adapter Settings
  7. Click the + sign and open Power Saving Mode
  8. Choose Maximum Performance by clicking on the Setting.
  9. Find the USB settings in the window
  10. Click the + sign and open USB selective suspend setting
  11. Set this to Disabled to prevent USB devices from being turned off and click Apply
  12. Press Windows key and type “device manager”
  13. Double click Network Adapter
  14. Find the device you are using and right click on it
  15. Choose Properties
  16. Go into the Power Management tab
  17. Uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

Hi!

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately that didn’t work either. I’m going to see if I can borrow a different computer to see if its just a weird interaction with my current PC. Thank you all so much for the responses. If you have anymore ideas you are willing to give I will be happy to try them out.

DoubleHeresy

I would try to move your setup significantly closer to the router temporarily and see if that fixes things (or test an ethernet cable.) If it does, it’s quite possible it’s the router itself dying in which case it may be worth seeing if you can replace it through your ISP (assuming you’re renting it.)

Hi again!

Thank you so much for staying with me. I moved my stuff basically right next to my router. I still couldnt connect to a Diablo 3 game. I could, however, connect to other games like Among Us, Squad and League of Legends with no problems. I was wondering if port forwarding would help in this situation? or any other ideas you have. My router is brand new i just bought it last month, it is a Netgear Nighthawk XR500.
Thank you again!

Hey again,

This might indicate it’s a settings issue with the Netgear router issue.

• Try lowering the firewall security in the router’s settings if you can.
  • Try enabling QoS (Quality of Service) or if it’s currently enabled try disabling it.
  • Make sure the router’s firmware is up to date.

If you’re not sure how to do these I’d recommend checking the router’s manual or documentation online. Hopefully one of those helps since it sounds like an issue with the router itself.

2 Likes

Hi again!

Changing the QoS Anti-Bufferbloat on my router to Always on seemed to do it. I can connect now with minimal lag! Thank you so much!

1 Like