Director of the Russian department must be fired

I mean it. We all know Diablo 3 is not a game which Bliz care much about but Russian department reached the final stage of indifference to the game and only gets salary for nothing. The very Blizzard leaders are quite possibly not aware of this. You must really check the state of the Russian localization of the game - it is catastrophically bad and extremely inconsistent with the original texts of the game. Many game items have a totally absurd descriptions. It is 100% clear that no one in Russian Bliz department ever played games they administrating. MANY texts have idiotic mistakes. For that reason Blizzard is probably loosing face in Russia and looks a swarm of idiots entirely.

For 2 TIMES I was writing to support about obvious mistakes in description. 2 times they answered they will fix it. They didnā€™t. Then I wrote about this problem on PTR forum - no reaction of course. It was here:

Serpentā€™s Sparker and Ivory Tower - descriptions are total bullshift.

Now one more appeared.
Gelmindorā€™s Marrow Guards
(https://i.redd.it/o9zgwp2iojy51.jpg)
They are bracers, right? For arms. But ru text says they are greaves - for legs. Do you get it? NO ONE in russian Blizzard played this game. Translator is an amateur. Itā€™s a common practice in Russia - the money allocated by superiors is not spent on hiring highly qualified employees. Theyā€™re just expropriated. And students are hired for a penny. Your superiors may think that a professional translator works in the Russian department with a salary of thousands of dollars, but in fact the Russian director simply puts this money in his pocket, and the translation is made by a hired freelancer student for probly 10 dollars. This is not a joke, this is the real situation in the country.

I am totally serious. Bliz, go carry out an inspection. Russian director must be fired.

12 Likes

As the old saying in Russia goes, ā€œWe wanted to do our best. We did our usual.ā€ Corruption and short term thinking are Russia in a nutshell.

7 Likes

Maybe they didnā€™t understand ā€œbullshiftā€?

I thought it was ā€œAs long as they pretend to pay us we pretend to work.ā€

Guys. Play English. Problem solved. Iā€™m finding the German localization bad as well, didnā€™t check description details or such.

2 Likes

ā€œIdiotic mistakes?ā€ Thatā€™s LOSING not loosing genius. Also, you write out numbers one through nine and numerals from 10 onward. Glass houses, nyet?

I never lived in any english speaking country. Of course my english can not be perfect, you lol, Iā€™m speaking totally foreign right now. Do you understand this is NOT my language when the situation describes that ru department makes mistakes in language of their own?

7 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to side with Helleformer. Maybe not fired, but certainly looked intoā€¦ but I empathize. Feeling slapped in the face by a company you may have loved for years, just look at the community morale. Now one step further-- items misspelled, and seemingly not cared and tended toā€¦ for eight yearsā€¦ eight years man. I dont want to imagine that anymore because diablo is supposed to be amazing to me still. :ā€™(

3 Likes

You have to overlook the fact that the English speaking community is full of grammar and spelling ā€˜professional radical elitistsā€™, they will not hesitate to use any mistake you make as leverage to try and get under your skin.

4 Likes

No, itā€™s totally fine. I am grammar radicalist myself in Russian language. There are so many simple things in it a person must 100% know if he just studied in school. But somehow many just donā€™t and it shows much about their souls. A person must know his native language, else he doesnā€™t respect himself and everything and everybody around.
However it is normal to make some mistakes in foreign one. We canā€™t demand that much.
This situation is unfortunately about people who make mistakes in their job which they get paid for.

8 Likes

Your English is better then some English speakerā€™s English posts.

I donā€™t think Blizzard has a RU departmentā€¦just a ā€œregionalā€ department. This is going by prior job postings for D4.

2 Likes

Look. When you have descriptions written in English, by English speaking developers, such as:

Each of your elementalā€™s damage bonus is equal to your highest static elemental bonus to skill.

What the hell does that even mean?

So how do we expect any foreign language localization texts to be accurate given what they have to start with.

Totally Blizzardā€™s responsibility.

4 Likes

It means that director must play the game for 1 day, then he will know what it means. He will be surprised how much he learned about the game he gets paid for. Now imagine how better a game can be if its developers loved it and were interested in it?

There is no Russian Department, therefore no head of a Russian Department.

Localization is handled by the Publishing teams, not by the game Dev/Software teams.

Localization for languages is not always perfect - but they canā€™t fire a team that does not exist (Russian Department).

At one point all Localization was done in HQ in California. Later that changed to having EU Publishing and Localization done in the EU office in France. The France office is closing so I assume it comes back to the US team again.

I donā€™t actually know because they donā€™t tell me all the details.

Also, if you put in a ticket for a bug with the game (language translation wrong), no CS agent can promise a fix. They can only say they passed on the feedback. There are tons of game bugs and language/typo errors that are still in the game - even in English.

4 Likes

How this persists for so many years boggles my mind.

1 Like

Real world problems?

In Soviet Russia, Blizzard is very cold place.

4 Likes

Look, I may not know the terms but for sure there must exist a person who is responsible for translation, right? Translation doesnā€™t grow from the ground, someone does this job and someone controls it. Whatever his position is called.

Once I took myself a job to fix entire text of one large game mod. There was about 150 pages of absolutely awful machine-translated text which was truly painful to read. I fixed it entirely, it took me 2 weeks. I did it alone and I did it for free. This mod was StarCraft Mass Recall.
ONE MAN did it in 2 weeks for 0 dollars!
Blizzard is mega-corporation with infinite capabilities. And for 10 years you canā€™t fix absolutely negligible typographical errors.

6 Likes

Two things here. The game has not been out for 10 years. More importantly, I canā€™t fix anything because I donā€™t work for Blizzard!

MVPs are regular players with green text who can help folks on the forums find information, support articles, explain policies, give basic game help, etc. No mod powers, donā€™t work for Blizzard.

Blizzard should get a Russian translator from Brighton Beach in Brooklyn instead of some student at USC.

4 Likes

Under ā€œyouā€ I meant many people from Blizzard. Not thou personally.

how do you know anything about Russia?