Difficulty with LOD Toughness

I play Demon Hunter, and the last couple of Season Journeys I have started with an LOD build, but I seem to have a real problem with Toughness at about GR80. The stone itself was at rank 81.

I’m not playing the Rapid Fire/Bombardment build that everyone seems to use for Demon Hunter, and I’m also not using a single Set piece. I want to keep it pure LOD. Is there any way to actually do that and develop enough Toughness to play the higher difficulties?

I don’t see a seasonal character on your profile. Also, you might want to mention you’re playing HC.

What build are you playing in it isn’t Rapid Fire?

I’ve gonna guess that it’s Mulitshot.

In that case, Resource reduction is your friend. So is Life Regen. Even without Captain Crimsons.

Item’s that boost your life regen and resource reduction can virtually make multishot free.

Then you can use an like Aquilla in combination with Elusive Ring. Another thing is to use the Gizzard gem for a shield to be able to use Squirt’s. Build your character around strengthening your shield. It acts as a second pool of Life that takes most damage first.

An item like Pride’s Fall with help reduce the cost of multishot to virtually nothing so you’ll have Aquilla active all the time. CoE will give you burst damage.

But note the build can push 90 or 100 but not much further even after you’ve got the gem maxed out but you shouldn’t have too much problem with dying as long as your careful which if you play Hardcore I imagine you might be familiar with.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Idolis, I appreciate the tips. I’ll try them next time around.

I have characters at rank 27 and 33 on the No 6 Piece Set leaderboard, one of those is dead, the other one is below. Haven’t gotten to this account yet.

https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/StoneOld-1798/hero/134229014

1 Like

Most of the defensive items for Rapid Fire also apply to DH LoD/LoN builds. You should try to include them:

Elusive Ring
Unity
Aquilas Cuirass
Stone Gauntlets
Visage of Gunes

Good luck.

I tried Stone Gauntlets once. 0% movement speed and 20% attack speed. I don’t understand how it’s good to be frozen in place until everything kills you.

Never again.

You’re supposed to use an effect that removes control, like Epiphany, Wrath of the Berserker, Ice Climbers, and so forth so you get all the benefits and none of the slowness.

1 Like

Advice that is frequently posted in Bug Report when people mention being slowed…

1 Like

And good advice it is. I never thought about using an item that would counteract the negative effect of the gauntlets. I never even considered it as a possibility.

It’s this exact situation that most likely keeps me a mid-level player after 9 years, while others who have played far less time but have a far better handle on the overall theories of the mechanisms, excel.