Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q4 December 2020

Overall the update KICKED BUTT (yeah, pre-censorship does these things :P), love it :slight_smile:

More specifically, I LOVE 3 things in particular

1 - Attack speed isnā€™t paired with any of the primary attributes (thank God)
2 - The idea that same legendary affix can drop on multiple legendaries (of different types), (assuming these can somehow stack ? :thinking:) lol
3 - ah yes, this was perhaps my favourite - skills get empowered/unlock extra ā€œperksā€ based upon primary stat attributes. The whirlwind and frost blades example

BUT, think there might be a (slightly ?) better ideaā€¦, namely:

Think these should be ā€œbuyableā€ i.e. sacrifice primary stat (of any kind) and let the player choose which primary stat/attribute to sacrifice, as opposed to a predetermined one in order to gain that specific skill upgrade]

That slight change would lead to 2 benefits in potential:

1. the primary attributes and perk ā€œunlocksā€ wonā€™t get paired (would provide greater diversity of playstyles)
  2. the notion of ā€œpay to useā€ might make some players try not even use any and simply try capitalize on the excess of their primary stat/attribute bonuses they have (thus making more ā€œin your faceā€ builds occasionally viable)

The one ā€œthingā€ I may have noticed that felt ā€œmehā€ is that the legendary/unique affixes didnā€™t feel impactful enoughā€¦ I guess itā€™s probably cause the legendaries could be stacked on multiple/plethora of item, but the mythic (i.e. unique) ones should probably have even one less stat (not sure) but have their unique stat ā€œget emphasizedā€ eve more

I mean a bonus of 37% simply doesnā€™t ā€œcut itā€ unless the bonus can be spammedā€¦ Would rather prefer it be something like 60-75% but reduce the number of other affixes so itā€™s even more of a ā€œgambleā€ to equip those :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like how the attributes and skills are shaping up.

Maybe you could have a skill improvement gradient thematically inspired by the attributes you decide to select.

For example: Leap would be improved as such by the following stats:
Strenght > for every point of strenght your character has, increase range by 0.1%.
Intelligence > for every point of intelligence your character has, reduce cooldown by 0.1%.
Willpower > for every point of willpower your character has, reduce ressource cost by 0.1%.
Dexterity > for every point of decterity your character has, increase movement speed after Leap by 0.1%.

Those are really boring examples but Iā€™m sure they could come up with more creative and thematically flavorful ways to allow for skill customization to be linked to attributes spending.

I really like the direction this is heading though. Although it might be too limiting in that you either unlock the trait or not, which means all the dexterity you get until 150 is kind of useless (in the first example). A gradient could allow for a lot of flexibility and thematic tailoring of your character outside of just the attributes.
Just throwing ideas out there.

3 Likes

No disagreements here. If respec has an incredibly high cost, but the cost can be easily paid due to high droprate or reward; then there wouldnā€™t be much point in having a cost in the first place. So hopefully the cost to respec is something that would take at least a moderate amount of effort to pay for.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update.

I hope you consider the items on the equipped slots to have varying sizes to improve item immersion that is sorely lacking in Diablo 3. Armor pieces and weapons should look considerably bigger than rings, for example. To be clear, Iā€™m talking about the equipped slots, not the inventory slots.

Please be very careful about critical hit damage. Donā€™t repeat the same mistakes that ruined item diversity.

4 Likes

Can I ask if we will see different kinds and layers of Main Defensive Bonuses on different kinds of Armor? With that I mean the big number that indicates how much Defense a piece of Armor has.

For example:
Cloth Armor Type I = +x Maximum Life
Cloth Armor Type II = +x Energy Shield
Leather Armor Type I = +x Dodge Rating
Leather Armor Type I = +x to All Resistances
Heavy Plate Armor = +x Armor

If that doesā€™t make sense, this is what I mean:

So can we see something like Energy Shield as a Primary Defensive Bonus on Light Armor or Caster-related Armor and All Resistances on some Leather Armor and Dodge Rating on other Leather Armors?

Energy Shield would be another layer of Health that gets consumed before your Life gets drained from damage, and when you have not taken damage for x seconds, it starts to regenerate quickly back to maximum.

The Sorceress maybe even could get a bonus from an Attribute that increases the maximum amount Energy Shield and / reduce the time it takes for the shield to start to regenerate or reduce the time it takes to regenerate back to its full amount.

And it also would allow for more and new Affixes:

• +x Energy Shield
  • x% faster Energy Shield Recharge Rate
  • x% reduced Energy Shield Recharge Delay
5 Likes

Plz Plz Plz Donā€™t make Sockets an Affix its so lame and uninteresting game design

6 Likes

I agree to the extent that Sockets should be a separate Affix Category, so they donā€™t take away space for other affixes.

6 Likes

You pretty much rehashed D3 items and put a terrible spin on it! you clearly have no idea what your doing when it comes to items so i will help you because no one on your team played D2 LOD or farmed it!

Rune words are key in a Diablo game i am not sure what Diablo game you have played its clearly D3 and nothing else and this is why this game is DOA ATM.

Where are the Mercenaries? Why are they not wielding Runewords with cool auras? Giving us BOnus MF? What Diablo Games have you played and farmed honestly? White items have open sockets to make rune words LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOU PEOPLE BECAUSE CLERLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR DOING WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING ITEMS FOR THIS GAME YOU HAVE 0 IDEA LOOK WAHAT YOU JUST PRESENTED ARE YOU NOT ASHAMED OF YOUR SELVES? THE LAUGHING WERE ALL DOING RIGHT NOW! YOU LEGIT REMADE D3 ITEMS AND ACTUALLY MADE IT LAMER AND LOWER IQ SHAME ON YOU HERE YOU GO HERES YOUR 15-20 MILLION+ PPL BUYING THIS GAME

ALL YOUR DOING IS TAKING THE ITEMAZATION SYSTEM FROM D2 LORD AND IMPROVING ON IT THATS IT.

LOOK HOW ITEMS ROLL IN D2 LOD items roll Rares , Blues
LOOK HOW RUNE WORDS ROLL IN D2 Thats the end game
LOOK AT WHAT RUNE WORDS PLAYERS PUT ON MERCS YOU CLEARLY NEVER DID THIS IN YOUR LIFE CLEARLY

IMPROVE ON THE SYSTEM BY ADDING MORE AFFIXS AS YOU KILL HARDER MOBS IE HIGH GREATER RIFTS OR W/E YOUR END GAME IS. MORE POWERFULL BUILDS OPEN UP WHEN YOU KILL HARDER CONTENT AND ITEMS START GETTING CDR ON THEM FASTER CAST SPEED HIGH RECOVERY TIME %LIFE HOW DULL AND BORING ARE YOU? WHY DOES YOUR ITEM TEAM LACK INSPIRATION? IMAGINATION? SANITY? ITS HONESTLY SAD IM REALLY SADDENED BY HOW YOUR MAKING ITEMS

IF THE WEAPON IS GOING TO DETERMINE MY DAMAGE YOU ALL READY FAILED WHICH MEANS AGAIN GO BACK AND LOOK AT D2 LOD ITEMS AND ONLY USE THAT FORMAT YOU DONT ANYTHING FROM D3 WHEN IT COMES TO ITEMS OR MERCS.

YOU 100% NEED TO DESGIN MERCS FOR THIS GAME THAT YOU CAN HIRE AND KEEP AND SWAP OUT WITH 0 ISSUES. IF YOU DONT THINK MERCS ARE IMPORTANT TO A DIABLO GAME YOU CLEARLY NEVER PLAYED D2 LOD AND YOU CLEARLY NEVER MADE IT TO THE END GAME. EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE ITEM TEAM SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED OF THEM SELVES WHAT DID YOU ACTUALLY JUST GIVE US. YOU GAVE US PROOF YOU HAVE 100% NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE ITEMS IT IS SIMPLE OHHH SO SIMPLE

D2 LOD ITEMS YOU EXPAND ON THEM YOU ADD THEM TO THE GAME AND ANY OTHER IDEAS YOU HAVE YOU DELETE. YOUR MAKING RUNE WORDS , YOUR MAKING BALLER RARES AND COOL BLUES AFTER YOU HAVE THIS SYSTEM PUT INTO PLACE YOU GO INTO THE NEXT PHASE.

YOU MAKE BASIC SIMPLE ORBS YOUR STEALING THE IDEA FROM POE.

Baal Orb COULD Addsa lego affix to a rune word
Diablo orb could Add a Rare affix to item / rune word
Meph Orb could Increase the value of 2 random props
Andy Orb could Add a Blue affix to an item
Neph Orb could Adds an aura to a lego/unq

this way people are always making new rune words / upgrading new items they find like hey i found this lego/unq in a higher greater rift it rolled with 2-3 additional affixs because i killed a harder mob now i need to roll this item wow i just made a better system then your trained pros ROFL

So i have given you the direction in which you need to go with items and orbs your welcome

TL DR because you never played D2 LOD / Farmed it

Your expanding on D2 LOD items
Your adding basic Orbs to the game (ripping off POE dats what we do)
Your adding Mercs like in D2
Your Adding Rune words

YOUR ITEM TEAM IS AWFUL AND SHOULD FEEL BAD

Hey look my +3 Skills on my awesome Rune word just got hit with a Meph orb now its +6 Skills then i hit the item with Andy orb it did not add a blue affix =( but i did use a diablo Orb and got +3 Bone skills so my helm has +3 bone skills and 6 to all skills Wow this so awesome! THEN i hit it with a Neph orb and got meditation aura level 23 SO GOOD

YOUR TEAM LACKS SOMETHING WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING ITEMS!!

MY WINDFORCE JUST ROLLED A RARE STAT OF 100% ED , Now gives Aim aura

my Shield just rolled 25% Reduced damage , 10% Life

What is wrong with your item team?

5 Likes

Why is skill damage still tied to the classā€™s primary attribute? Make it interesting like differentiate physical & magical skill damage. For example, Paladins can stack strength to increase their melee combat power, and they can stack intelligence to increase damage from holy bolts and other magical attacks. A physical Paladin and magical Paladin would be going for different attributes.

7 Likes

First of all, chill. Secondly they are making D4 not D2 remaster, they want it to be good for old players and for new comers. It is not an easy task to combine those two things. Sure they could just implement all D2 mechanics into D4 but I donā€™t see any point in that as they are making a NEW game. If they would just make a reskin of D2 people would complain as well.

5 Likes

D2 fanboys are back again, they will never be happy. It is difficult to break free from the D2 cult.

3 Likes

Blizzcon + Stadia + D4 Demo for Ticket buyers.

End

On first glance, this is a good ideaā€¦ Make the damage scaling per skill (as opposed to per class), seems like a good idea, BUT

I could see after some time ppl be like, hey why does my Upheaval scale with Int, or why does my Frenzy skill scale with Dex (as opposed to Str)

So itā€™s a tricky one I guess, when you think about itā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

No tickets, Blizzconline is free.

2 Likes

this update made us very happy
believe me

6 Likes

The scrolls please me.

Ultimately they should go with what feels best on playthroughs. I didnā€™t really like the timer on D3 portals but prefer the D2 and GD (and PoE iirc) portals that are instant.

3 Likes

This update is a mixed bag for me. Looking at how they will treat items is a big turnoff for me. In end game i want to use legendaries or uniques, donā€™t want to see rares/yellows with some stats better than my lengedaries.

The random legendary bonuses well thatā€™s just bad. If have everything i need and am missing only the chest piece with a certain legendary skill and it only drops on other armor pieces this will be a pain to get. To be honest iā€™m way less interested in the game if this goes into the final product.

2 Likes

The only thing i want from D2 is the item system and it to be improved on adding addtional affixs per greater rifts or the end game is a step in the right direction the item team legit remade D3 items with a terrible spin on it that is what they came up with! they need to look at how D2 LOD items rolled and worked and expand on them and add some orbs like i suggested if they do anything like this no one is going to play because its D3 items rehashed with a lame spin?

2 Likes

Meh, runewords were mediocre at best.

Yeah. Bring back Mercenaries! Or Followers. Name doesnā€™t matter. But they are arguably one of the most unique things about the Diablo series and should be in D4.

That would be terrible. Items should not scale further and further with content difficulty. What is the point then. Just an endless treadmill.
Items should have one power level. Never do another silly item progression of Ancients, Primals, Ultra Super Primals etc.

Honestly, +All Skills is a terrible affix. And a major part of the reason why D2s itemization was bad.

Yeah.
ā€œMain statā€ needs to go away. Bad design.
All attributes should be viable for all classes, depending on their focus.

3 Likes

They now have a section for the mount in the inventory.

• Will mounts replace followers and pets?